“Lovely food, poor attitude of staff”

Rose Cottage Tea Rooms
Ranked #13 of 27 Coffee & Tea in Torquay
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Staffordshire
“Lovely food, poor attitude of staff”
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Rose Cottage Tea Gardens is a lovely setting made more enjoyable by the pianist. The food was fine and no complaints from that. We went for morning coffee then later for lunch, the attitude displayed to paying customers is poor, table number being demanded before the food and drinks were ordered no pleasantries, staff seem unaware that in the age of the Internet poor service can be transmitted in seconds. Our lunch took 30 minutes to arrive the till receipt showed that it was ordered and paid for at 13.02 and arrived at 13.35.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank degman

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We came to the Tea Rooms this year (in August 2013), after really enjoying it last year, on a busy summer day. The day was a bit overcast, but still wanted to have our cream tea, and they weren't very busy. However, we sat at our table for ages and not one member of staff came over to us, so we told a member of staff that we were ready to order. The response we got was 'you have to order at the till'. We replied that we didn't know this and the reply was 'well, it is written on the menu and is written above the till'. We were gobsmacked! We should have walked out. We were sitting at a table that was on the route from the till to the kitchen, and I just can't believe that a member of staff didn't politely inform us that we had to order at the till. The scones were nice, but then I've read the previous review and agree that they should be homemade, and served with homemade jam. We probably won't be returning.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank lovetorquay
Devon
“rose cottage at cockington”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Is it new management? Menu changes, staff and customer care all seem to have deteriorated from many previous visits over a number of years. The rating given is for the sun shine and pianist, scones not up to usual standard, drinks no longer part of cream tea and WASPS a huge problem making for an unpleasant experience, contaminating everything on the table. Staff were apathetic and unhelpful choosing to ignore the distress that the vast number of wasps caused. There were no pest deterrents and no help, comments or response not even a warning about the numbers of wasps. This then spoilt a nice day and we will no longer recommend or frequent the rose cottage but find an alternative.

1 Thank buzzbeeDevon
“Truly delightful but...”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We came here on Trip Advisor reviews. We were certainly not disappointed.
Great cakes and enormous scones with jam and cream enjoyed. However the scones are bulk cellophane wrapped and finished off in the oven. This I noticed whilst waiting for the loo. The jam is chefs larder spooned out of a tub. Not quite what I expected from such a pretty establishment. A bit of locally made would have tasted better.
The setting is delightful and the pianist really sets the tone. My mother and I were the only ones to applaud and were amazed to see no one else joined us in appreciation of him!
One note to the short haired mature blonde lady behind the counter.. As a customer it's usually better to be greeted with a smile before demanding my table number! She practically barked at me before taking my order! I'm sure you know your job and need efficiency but manners please.
It's very clean and the setting is lovely but a lot of the atmosphere comes from the pianist. We came back twice just for this. A most enjoyable hour but counter lady rather miserable.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Pewterjuglady
Lincolnshire
“Dissapointing Rose Cottage Tea Room”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have visited Devon since 1977 and have frequently visited the Rose Cottage tea rooms, were we have enjoyed a lovely cream tea in beautiful surroundings. I have not visited Devon for a few years, so last week at short notice we drove down. I kept off having a cream tea with my wife at other locations, trying to paint a picture of nothing would compare to Rose Cottage. What an absolute let down and disappointment. The staff were stressed and left me standing with my order whilst they ignored me. When I was served the lady was abrupt and explained that a drink was extra with their cream tea! The choice of cakes was poor compared with previous visits and the homemade milkshake I had promised my daughter turned out to be a bottle of "Yazoo". My memories and illusions was shattered.

3 Thank ParkyLincolnshire