We had the good fortune to stay at this hotel, only for 1 night but in my opinion this is one of the nicest, friendliest hotels we have stayed in over last few years. We used a groupon voucher so had one of the rooms on the top floor. We knew that it wouldn't be one of their better rooms, but it was a pleasant surprise to find it was very comfortable and pleasant. Very large double bed and views of the sea from the bedroom and bathrrom windows. Decor was stylish and modern. We had a large ensuite bathroom with overhead shower that had strong water pressure and simple controls. Because we were in the eaves you do have to watch you don't bang your head on the beams.
This is a quirky unusual building, furnished in a 30's style. Upon arrival we were met by a very friendly receptionist who was very helpful, that set the consistent tone throughout our stay with all the staff we encountered. This was a genuine unforced freindliness with excellent service. We were told that the hotel had been under new ownership for 9 weeks by a family who have many years of experience in catering and hospitality......it showed!!
The chef has previously worked at the local well regarded Elephant Restaurant and also at the prestigious Gidleigh Park Hotel. We hadn't intended to eat in but once we saw the evening menu we quickly cancelled we where going to eat. We were not let down the belly pork was fantastic. They have a fantastic 'conservatory' restaurant and a terrace for dining al fresco on warmer nights both have views of the sea.
We have had mixed fortunes over the last 12 months with some of the hotels we have stayed in, but this was of a higher standard than its 3 star rating and should be a 4 star. As with any pace you stay you have to ask if you would return.....I would definately return and would loom forward to eating there. This wonderful Hotel gest a strong recomendation from me
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the coastal road from Torquay to Shaldon this Georgian retreat is set in landscaped gardens near Torquay and offers some of the finest accommodation and dining in South Devon. Stylishly refurbished as a Boutique Hotel, the Orestone provides comfortable, luxurious rooms, The New Brunel Lounge Bar, Lounge areas, Conservatory casual Dinning and an excellent main restaurant. Located in the rural village of Maidencombe on the fringe of Torquay, it has stunning views across the Torbay coastline and Lyme Bay. From from light bites, Afternoon Cream Teas, Lumches including locally caught fish and hand cut chips the choice is most satisfying. Alfresco dining can be enjoyed on the sun terrace with cracking menus and wonderful views. An award winning restaurant provides a little more sophistication for lunch or dinner if preferred! The terrace and conservatory are perfect places for an impromptu break from daily life, no need to dress up - casuals and walking boots welcome! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your The Orestone Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Orestone Hotel Torquay
- The Orestone Manor Torquay, Devon