“A trip back to the 90's”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Colindale Guest House
Ranked #73 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I stayed at the Colindale with my friend and her 14 year old Son for three days during their trip to England from Singapore. Basil and Sven were very welcoming and courteous. The whole house is filled with books, china, pictures and teddy bears and I was left wondering how on earth they managed to keep it so spotless with all that dusting to do. There is a bit of a time warp in that everywhere is blue, yellow and white and the decor is very 90's, cloths over tables etc., which is not really my thing any more. The rooms were clean and comfortable if not a little overcrowded with furniture. "En-suites" very small and could really do with some updating but again they were very clean and certainly adequate. There is parking outside the house or on their drive which was handy. The walk into town is probably a mile or so at least. What I cannot leave without praising is their exceptional breakfasts. There is even a menu. I didn't have the Devon breakfast as I think I may have been there all day eating it but I certainly tried the smaller version, an omelette one morning (the best I have ever had) and scrambled egg and smoked salmon on another. Outstanding breakfasts! I would probably not stay here again but that is only because I am much more of a contemporary hotel girl than a guest house one. That however, is the only reason. Basil and Sven's hosting could not be faulted, they are both extremely nice men and everywhere was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Stayed one night 23rd September. Very clean and friendly bedrooms was a little small but very well appointed. Very helpful with local restaurant advise. Breakfast was great with a good choice of different things as well as the usual full English. My wife took a shine to Cara the dog.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Room/house very good, lovely breakfast, we would stay again.
Good value.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We have been searching for somewhere good to stay in Torquay for years and at last we have found a hotel that we would use again. From the larger Imperial, Grand, and Palace to the smaller Peppers and Ansteys we have tried many but Colindale is good.

The rooms have the little touches that show the owners care about their guests and the breakfasts are second to none. There are none of the 'Thou shalt not...' notes on the wall seen in other hotels but rather invitations to bring back take-aways and make use of the dining room. The owners know the area and were able to recommend good restaurants.

In a quiet road just a few hundred yards from the rail station and the sea front looking over playing fields there is free parking in the road and the Colindale has a few additional spaces of its own.

No hotel is perfect and being about sixteen stones I did struggle getting through the shower door and I am more at home in a king-size bed than a double.

All in all a nice place to stay and a big thank you to the team who made us feel welcome.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed at the Colindale Bank Holiday weekend as we could not get in the one that we wanted and thank god as this hotel is a gem. Sven could not make you feel anymore at home, the hotel is clean and very homely and the rooms have just every think you want. The breakfast is to die for with the home made bread. The hotel is in a great location just a stone throw from the sea front. Will definately be staying again, super hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mistysam
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We had to come to Torquay for a family reunion and it was my task to find us somewhere to stay. Thanks to my research, we ended up at The Colindale. Its close proximity to Torquay Station, the beach and Torquay itself is terrific. The guys - Barry and Sven - running it were tremendously helpful - my older brother somehow got directed to the wrong train station and my sister in law had to go and find him! They also provide very very comfortable accommodation and one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time. My only gripe was/is with the shower which had no power at all and the shower door which got stuck! I would otherwise recommend it wholeheartedly!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TianoLondon_England
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed for one night at Colindale Hotel in May, sharing a comfortable and spacious first floor twin room (3) with ensuite shower, overlooking the pretty front garden and a small park beyond. Lots of cushions: lovely towels: plenty of high quality toiletries. No double glazing, so you can open the sash window and have fresh air available and as the road immediately outside is quiet, traffic noise is not a problem. Sven was a perfect maitre d': welcoming, unobtrusive and knowledgeable. Barry's breakfast menu has a wide selection and the food was of excellent quality . The sunny breakfast room with its blue and white china theme is lovely. The sitting room is extremely comfortable with beautiful furniture, books and paintings and very large TV: there is a small bar with pretty lounge area too. Yes, the cats are beautiful. The hotel is a fifteen minute stroll from the harbour through the Abbey grounds.

Room Tip: Room 3 is very nice.