“Fab place”
Review of Kents Cavern

Kents Cavern
Ranked #3 of 62 things to do in Torquay
More attraction details
Owner description: Kents Cavern is by far Britain's most important prehistoric cave used by ancient humans for the last 500,000 years including Neanderthals and early modern humans. The caves are open every day for guide tours, 7 days a week with natural caverns, amazing natural formations, remains of mammoth, woolly rhino, sabre-toothed cats, an Ice Age woodland trail quest, nice shop and cafe with views over the Ilsham Valley. The closest hotel to the attraction is the Gleneagles, inspiration for TV's Fawlty Towers. We are 2km from Torquay Harbour and only 15 mins walk from the South West Coast Path and local beaches, well-known to previous visitors like Agatha Christie, Beatrix Potter, George V, Alfred Wallace and Charles Darwin. Perfect for a rainy or sunny day by the seas, winter or summer.
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fab place”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Well there is so much to say The caves have so much to offer you and your family, packed with so much history and the guides really make it so interesting. The café also is very well run

Visited December 2012

Andover, United Kingdom
“My wife is a mole”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife is obsessed with caves, caverns, quarries, mines, and bunkers. I suspect she may be part Hobbit. We visited Kents Cavern on a whim on our last day in Torquay, and it turned out to be quite the highlight.
Neither my wife nor myself had even heard of the place until we were reviewing a map of attractions in the area, only to discover that it is of highly significant scientific interest.
The caves are a constant temperature all year round, and there is no need for thick jackets or jumpers.
Our tour guide, Chris, was very knowledgeable and very interesting. This was helped by the small size of our tour group. Thoroughly recommend.

Poole, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Brilliant Tour”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My dad, brother and I visited Kent's Cavern in the October half term. We have visited many times before and have still not got bored of seeing the amazing caves. Luckily we didn't have to wait long before it was time for us to go in and we were taken down into the main cave for a lights and story show. The only annoying thing about visiting the caves is that you are in such a large group to look around. Unfortunately we were on the tour with a group of loud teenage boys who did a good job of speaking over the tour guide and obviously looking at their phones throughout the whole thing! Other than the people you may be out with, the tour is fantastic. Our guide clearly loved what he was doing and was very informative and funny which kept the children and adults amused. I just wish the tour was longer! The cafe is also very good value and serves good quality food. Definitely a place I would recommend you visit!

Visited October 2013
Paignton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Put a date in your diary for next year”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went to the Butterfly production of Twelfth Night that was on in the caves. The third time that I have been to the one of their plays in the caves. Very cleverly done, and (of course) the caves themselves add to the atmosphere. A roving production, almost unnerving, with the actors mingling with the audience. Due to the pace of the performance and the (sometimes) uneven surface underfoot, this show is not (unfortunately) something for those less steady on their feet. However, if you want to see a different take on Shakespeare, this will be one for you. So make a note in your diary to look out for the show - usually in Nov.
I like the way that the owners are always trying different things and using alternative ways to encourage people to visit. It is an all-year-round attraction that does offer something different in Torbay.

London, United Kingdom
“friendly tour”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Simon gave one of the best tours I've ever been to! Clear explanation with a hint of humour. Would definitely recommend to all those visiting Torquay :)