“for theatre or history a must for locals & visitors”
Review of Kents Cavern

Kents Cavern
Ranked #3 of 62 things to do in Torquay
More attraction details
Owner description: Kents Cavern is by far Britain's most important prehistoric cave used by ancient humans for the last 500,000 years including Neanderthals and early modern humans. The caves are open every day for guide tours, 7 days a week with natural caverns, amazing natural formations, remains of mammoth, woolly rhino, sabre-toothed cats, an Ice Age woodland trail quest, nice shop and cafe with views over the Ilsham Valley. The closest hotel to the attraction is the Gleneagles, inspiration for TV's Fawlty Towers. We are 2km from Torquay Harbour and only 15 mins walk from the South West Coast Path and local beaches, well-known to previous visitors like Agatha Christie, Beatrix Potter, George V, Alfred Wallace and Charles Darwin. Perfect for a rainy or sunny day by the seas, winter or summer.
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Been on a caves tour and been to a few shakesphere plays here theatre is the high light for me here kents has been the reason I've been to more of the bards work since but for me it all started underground at kents

There are newer reviews for Kents Cavern

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Fantastic, must-do experience for little kids at Christmas. We took the Santa tour on a rainy day and it was awesome!

Aside from the caves being an experience in themselves, the tour was led by a fairy and an elf and their rather silly pantomime style tour was entertaining for kids and parents alike. Topped off by mulled wine and mince pies for big people, Santa visit and presents for little people, this was a great afternoon out and well worth the admission price.

Brilliant!

1  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My partner and I visited in March 2012. There were only a couple of other people with us on the tour so we had a better chancce to ask questions and take photos. The history of the place is amazing

1  Thank westonracing
Reviewed December 22, 2012

as the sight of the really old tooth and with very well informed guides this is a brilliant way to spend a rainy afternoon. thought has gone into the tour to add excitement and the cafe is good too.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I used to visit the caves in the late 70s/early 80s as a young child, with my mother. My mother has since taken my 7yr old son, back in Easter time. With all the new attractions around nowadays (Woodlands, Crealy etc) I thought he would soon be bored with the caves... How wrong I was - he loved every minute of the tour, which lasted approx 1.5hrs. It was very educational and made interesting for the younger audience, as well as for the adults.

So, I decided on holding my son's birthday party there last weekend. The tour is tailored to meet and stimulate the needs of the particular age group. The children had to wear helmets with lights, which they enjoyed. The tour guide was excellent and handled 11 excited young boys very well. He told stories in the caves and the birthday cake was presented in there too.

After the tour, they all went on an archaelogical dig for treasure - with each child finding something (gems and teeth).

Afterwards was the party food. We had opted for the hot menu which seemed tasty, and serving up was very organised. Afterwards, they were allowed to run riot in the fenced off garden, 15 mins before home time.

The party was 2hrs in total. They gave my son a goody bag of Kents Cavern souveniers at the end, which was a nice touch.

There is a cafe for adults to wait if they do not wish to tour.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed the party and already my son wants to book for next year!

1  Thank CheekusTeekus