“excellent food”

Old Vienna Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 359 Restaurants in Torquay
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant with an Austrian Touch - Austrian Chef/Proprietor-Werner Rott and his team are here to look after customers with a smile and mostly locally sourced ingredient in casual surroundings - a small intimate Restaurant with just 22 Covers where the guest is treated like a friend 2015 Taste of the West South Devon Fine Dining Silver Award 2016 Taste of the West South West England Gold Award
Reviewed July 26, 2014

excellent food and a wide selection of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes to choose from. Verner! The owner and chef, comes out to see you at the end of your meal, which is a lovely touch, as is the free schnapps when paying the bill.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

although we live in torquay this is the first time we have visited this restaurant. it certainly wont be the last ! excellent service fantastic food, just one word of warning make sure you leave room for the best desserts ever ! we will certainly be back.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Having visited the restaurant last year, when I was last in the area, I couldn't wait to book here again and enjoy some really excellent Austrian food. I wasn't disappointed - It was fantastic again! Shame they didn't have my first choice of starter, but they did have everything else, and I wasn't sad to have had the sausages on sauerkraut instead!
The wine list is fantastic - lot's of Austrian wines, many I had not heard of or tried before, the wines I have had here have always been of the highest quality (and I am very fussy with wine).
The chap who is both chef and owner is genuinely friendly and takes an interest in his customers. It was just a shame that this year there were only three tables taken the night I visited. I do hope this is a rare thing for him, as he deserves to be full every night as the Orange Tree and No7 appear to be.

1  Thank Fiona M
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Visited old Vienna restaurant last night as part of a family birthday meal, the restaurant is nice and cosy without feeling cramped. Large choice of dishes on the menu, all tempting so had to chose carefully(it will be an excuse to return to try the other dishes!). Had pigeon breast starter followed by fallow deer with wild mushrooms, and some excellent Austrian red wine, ended the meal with a warm chocolate sponge and complimentary schnapps. The food was excellent, served and presented well.

Will definitely return and would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant and it's friendly chef/proprioter

1  Thank DevonVacationer
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My wife & I had a thing or two to celebrate a couple of days ago so we decided to be difficult and picked a selection of three local restaurants to give them a chance to perform and see if we could actually recommend them to our hotel guests when they ask us where to go to in Torquay for a really good meal out. The Old Vienna wasn't our first pick (as it so happened on that day) and as the two previous venues failed on entry we were left with the last name on the list, or the best of all - cook ourselves at home. As we entered through the door it instantly became clear to us that this is indeed the right place if only on the merits of welcome and willingness to accommodate two obviously difficult people without booking. We were left to select ourselves from two tables free at the time, and chose to be by the window at the rear. The starters were OK, and I mean only OK. So, we eagerly awaited what quality of meal would arrive next. Whenever we want to be sure about a place we choose a steak, as we all know that England simply doesn't have the meat, or the skills to cook this dish. The stakes arrived! Well sized, the right temperature, cooked to perfection and the selection of veggies, and potatoes only complemented the absolute top class dishes delivered to our table that day. On a scale of 1-10 this was definitely a 9-3/4! We then felt we just had to test the set of deserts too, as we know this particular selection, (or at least most of it better than most), and went for two of the pretty much most difficult choices from that menu. The deserts were absolutely spot on - in fact, they were probably the best selection of deserts we had in the UK over the past decade, and I mean from all over the UK, and I can safely add the Continent too. Ending up with a couple of coffees there was truly nothing to pick holes in, and the not so perfect starters were (rather cleverly on the part of the Chef) long forgotten. What else remains? Perhaps a message to the Chef - Don't you dare get rid of those pancakes !!!

2  Thank Celtic-Lines