“excellent”

Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #72 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
“excellent”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

had a lovely stay at the Anchorage, my husband is disabled
and we chose a deluxe room, the management were very kind and gave us room 27 on the ground floor, very very nice room. the room was extremely spacious and very clean!
the atmosphere was magical, very festive.
it was a lovely time, thank you all

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed here recently on a coach trip. On arrival the hotel looked good,how misleading. Our room was average but other guests on our trip were more unfortunate,dirty linen, filthy rooms. The worst part of the hotel is the dining experience,French stick to go with soup was cut by a razor blade,if you asked for extra the answer was No! Breakfast consisted of a small pot of tea for two if you could squeeze two cups out,bacon you could see through and about 10 baked beans with a sausage that got smaller as the days went on. If you run out of milk in your room you have to pay for extra which I have never experienced in any other hotel. Staff are ignorant, unpleasant and rude,even the manager. One evening I gave my dessert to a man on the next table as I didn't want it and he was starving, I left the dining hall only to be told later he was refused his dessert as he had eaten mine and wasn't allowed two. This hotel should be re-named the Oliver Twist, avoid this place if you have any sense!

Room Tip: A good room would be in another hotel!
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trachaz

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Bideford
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel on a 4 night coach tour. It has got to be the worst place I have ever stayed in my 87 year life. My room was so small, the drawers could not be opened without moving the bed, which I was unable to do. The room was hot as the sun was streaming in but I could not open the window as it was so rotten and distorted! I asked for somebody to come up and open it, 3 hours later, and another call to reception somebody finally came and forced the window open. When I complained about the time it had taken he said he was not superman! The food was appalling, not much of it, poorly cooked and the service was terrible. At breakfast I waited 45 minutes between the juice glasses being taken away and the cooked breakfast arriving. I was not allowed to have juice and cereal at breakfast, only one. The manager was particularly rude, obviously modelling himself on Basil Fawlty.
Everywhere is sad and tired, a complete refurbishment is urgently needed. My room was filthy and the basin was worn dull over the years. All the Formica, yes Formica, work top around the basin was chipped and broken. The shower didn't really work and when I complained about anything I was treated as a trouble maker and nothing was done.
I was on a coach tour so could not move to another hotel, however I would advise everybody to avoid this place, it is shocking and made Fawlty Towers look like the Ritz. You have been warned!

Stayed March 2014
8 Thank Jean S
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed in this hotel recently for 5 days, the decoration and cleanliness needs upgrading. At meal times the service was bad. When I put a simple requset to the staff (can we have another pot of tea) they said it was not possible because of the cost of teabags!!!, so we had to share a pot of tea for one between two people. We had to share a small amount of veg between to people that is really only enough from one person, so meals wern't filling at all. The in house entertainment was outdatetd on oine night the singer was amturish (karioke). When I complained at the hotel they did not help at all they did nothing. In my opioin it's not worth the petrol or time to go to this hotel until they bring thier hotel into the 21st century, and put their customers first.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Graham C
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I recently stayed at this Hotel for 3 days. Looked impressive from the outside, but the room was dreadful.There was paint peeling off the wall under and to the side of the window. The window had black condensation mold around the pains,, and frame. The bathroom also had black mold around the shower screen, and behind the toilet. There were also dead wood lice on the floor. I asked for a change, but was told ´no spare rooms as fully booked´. I could not go to another Hotel as I was on a Coach Tour, and was forced to suffer the embarrassment of having to call the Manager on several occasions as the toilet would not flush, I was told ´they were experiencing some trouble with toilets flushing´! The shower was a dribble, it was impossible to have a proper shower, and I was forced to wash my hair in the wash basin, using a plastic cup to obtain water from the tap to wet & rinse my hair. Then when I thought things could not get any worse I was refused a vegetarian sausage with bacon and poached egg for breakfast. Meals were small, vegetables were very overcooked and for the most part tasteless. On the plus side, the roast potatoes tasted great! Would I stay here again? Never!

Room Tip: Don´t have No. 14 it´s next to the stairs, and people coming from Bar/Lounge area at all hours don´t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Lindy S
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at the hotel, with my parents, for two nights 7-9th February. We had stayed here previously but 19 years ago! Our checking in was speedy with a pleasant gentleman receptionist. My parents were advised of their room number as were we. The first room my parents were given was of average size with a walk in shower as requested; however we had not requested a fan which took 20 mins plus to switch off! My dad went back to reception ( different receptionist) and was eventually shown another room right next to the bar (noisy), he declined this room and was told that they would have to see if another room was available. Shown Room 34 which they accepted but no walk in shower and was very 'compact'! Next day they saw their view was a brick wall! We also discovered that the hotel was not full.

We had a larger room (60) with a very small radiator blocked by a single bed; it was very cold, especially at night when heating was off. Also the room was only surface clean, when you looked at skirting board (black with dirt) and pedestal of wash basin (streaky black marks) and lumps of fluff on floor - cleanliness was definitely an issue.

Breakfast was OK but with limited choice i.e. cereal or fruit juice but not both - full English looked good but not something I am able to eat. Evening menu again gave limited choice with unusual mix of veg to go with dishes; house red was definitely not to our taste (sweet).

On the plus side - staff (although few in number) were very friendly and obliging; drinks were cheap in the bar at 99p each.

We had looked forward to this visit but won't be going back again in a hurry, not even another 19 years methinks!

Room Tip: Room 60 overlooking pool is not good in winter, chilly; Room 34 is like shoe box with view of a bric...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane M
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was an excellent hotel, the staff were extremely friendly as was the service. There was a good choice of menu and it was all served with a smile to the table. Evening entertainment was great. The location was perfect for exploring and the small town was a real find. We even managed to walk down to the sea and climb back up, rewarding ourselves with a pint in a local pub. The only thing I would point out was the lack of glasses in the room - they were plastic, but we bought some in a charity shop and returned them at the end of our stay. All in all a great long weekend break that I would highly recommend

Room Tip: Probably a room upstairs would be quieter as very creaky floors
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple