“Good food, nice pub, beautiful area”

The Thatched Tavern
Ranked #31 of 339 Restaurants in Torquay
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice pub, beautiful area”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Nice, traditional pub in a lovley area. Slightly tricky drive to get to area (narrrow country lanes during the last two miles of the approach). Booked table in advance and asked for a nice table with a nice view as it was my birthday. Unfortunately, when our party of seven got there, the table they gave us was in a dungeon-like basement corner. They informed that they could not serve children during evening in the main dining area (so families beware if you want to eat here in the evening unless you want to eat al fresco outside or below in the "dungeon"! Service was not very good, because after getting initial drink orders served, it took waitress quite awhile to come back down to our table to get main course orders, which eventually took almost 50 minutes to be served, a bit awkward given that the pub was not very busy. Alas, the food was very nice and tasty and the portions were decent. Overall, it is a nice pub that serves good food, but the service is somewhat
disappointing.

1 Thank scatignani

Mold, United Kingdom
“Very good”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went for a meal here, on a Thursday evening. Quite busy for midweek. The staff were friendly and welcoming and we did not encounter any of the staff problems other reviewers have mentioned. The pub is gorgeous and I really liked the decor in the main restaurant -(reminded me of a beautiful pub in Canada I've been to) and was light and airy. I suppose it depends on taste. From the time of ordering up to receiving the food, it was about 45 minutes and have to admit to getting a bit impatient as was so hungry ! However, when the food came, it was very nice and clearly home made and so the wait then seemed insignificant. I had fish cakes which I thought were tasty, husband had the lamb special which he said was very good and our guests had scampi and the pie -both commented how nice it was. Puddings followed and I have to say their sticky toffee pudding was fantastic ! The only downside was nothing to do with pub, but a very annoying women at another table who liked the sound of her own voice !!
Overall lovely meal and were left very happy and full ! We will return.

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

An old thatched cottage perched on the side of a lane leading down to the beach. There is a near by council car park.
We have been visiting this pub for many years under different managements and the current owners seem to have most things right.
It is not cheap although they do different pies for under £10 which are good value. Other meals are £10 and up averaging I would think about £15.
The gardens are a lovely feature and you cannot beat sitting outside in the sun enjoying a cool drink.
Service can be slow but if you are not in a hurry there is time to relax.
We rarely have sat inside, they have a restaurant but I have never eaten in there, only in the pub itself.

Visited July 2013
Torquay, United Kingdom
“No atmosphere, boring food”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have looked back through some of the reviews before writing this to see if my experience has been out of kilter. I must say there are a lot of comments about poor service and I would sadly have to concur with this. The staff behind the bar are in the wrong jobs as they do not make visitors welcome. A smile would be great!
I was also sorry to read the owners/managers comments. They do not seem to accept there is a problem and only focus on the positive reviews as being correct. There are a number of negative reviews here and it would be nice to think that the owners respected those and took learning from them.
When we visited the pub recently the bill was incorrect so do check your tab. Some other tab had been added to ours. There is obviously no good system for ensuring accuracy.
The food was bland. I had the fish cakes which were not very fishy, I see another patron had the similar views. My husband's roast was dry. It was expensive for what it was.
There is a lot of brown in the place and I notice others have mentioned there are no soft furnishings, it does make the place feel hollow and noisy.
The drive is difficult particularly if you meet an oncoming vehicle.
The outside garden area is very pretty so if it's good weather, it is nice to be outside.

4 Thank BeautifulTorquay
Evesham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overall stay in accomodation and restaurant”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed in Hotels all over the world and have to say this is one of the nicest I have stayed in.

Food is excellent, service is fantastic with Mick and Fiona acting as the perfect hosts with nothing being to much trouble.

1 Thank Ashley L