“Very Pleasant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Thatched Tavern

The Thatched Tavern
Ranked #35 of 332 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lighwater
“Very Pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We found the Thatched tavern in the local eating out guide on a weekend away and were not to be disappointed. The staff were warm and welcoming on arrival and after getting a drink at the bar by the log fire showed us to our table. The seating area is very spacious and clean. The menu is varied with a good choice for all and at reasonable prices, the portions are excellent sizes. We did not feel rushed in anyway and the staff attentive to our needs. I would recommend this to anyone and would go back next time I am in the area.
Although not tried the tavern also does B&B.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
thethatchedtavern, Owner at The Thatched Tavern, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Scott E
Thank you for your lovely review.
Delighted you enjoyed your experience with us, we endeavour to make every guest feel welcome, and glad that you considered our prices reasonable.
Hope to see you again if you visit the area.
Fiona Bruckin

“Bit pricey for what it was,staff great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went for easter Sunday dinner in a group of 12 .The setting and atmosphere was lovely but I'm afraid although the food was perfectly satisfactory it wasn't reflected in the pricing(15 pounds for an 8oz sirloin and twelve pounds for a pie and chips).All in all it was a pleasant experience but the food was no better than an establishment where you could have just as good food for a more realistic price.The staff are very pleasant an accommodating.

Dear Kipsmithers
Thank you for your time to write a review. I am delighted that you consider my staff to be great and the atmosphere was lovely. Your party visited on Mothers Day which was of course a very busy service. Price is all a matter of perception and £11.95 for a homemade Game Pie with local meat and hand-cut chips or new potatoes and fresh vegetables, which incidentally is available Mon-Thurs for £7.95, and £15 for an organic, free range local steak may in your view be expensive, but is priced in accordance with cost and similar establishments in the area.
You will see from other reviews that many consider our prices reasonable, and I know that many of your party hadn't visited us in the past, and on arrival were asking how expensive the food was, so price may have been your priority.
Mougins
“Bit disappointing !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We hoped this would be a pleasant experience ,but sadly we were a bit disappointed,although the food we ordered was very good .The atmosphere in the pub left a lot to be desired,bleak. the waitress didn,t know what she was doing ,admittedly she had only been working there 3 days. very long wait for our food ,and they weren't particularly busy ,just one other table . We won't be back ,unfortunately,as there are so many establishments in the area much more charismatic than this one.

1 Thank Gabalotte
Dear Gabalotte
Thank you for taking time to write your review.
I am pleased that you considered the food to be good, and I am unaware of how long you waited but as all our food is cooked to order some dishes do take up to half an hour.
From your review it appears your main disappointment was from the member of staff who was on trial, who believe it or not was supposed to be an experienced Assistant Manager. Needless to say they only latest another day after your visit, and we are back on track with a previous member of staff returning to us to take on the Assistant Managers role, who together with myself are constantly training the less experienced members of our team to ensure we provide the best experience to every guest.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Lunch stop over”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We called in for a quick lunch on route to visit friends in Torquay
The staff were very welcoming and the atmosphere friendly & relaxing. Unfortunately we only wanted a light lunch but the menu was very tempting.
On the basis of our lunch time experience we would certainly return & probably spend a night or two as the location looked good for exploring the area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
thethatchedtavern, Owner at The Thatched Tavern, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Joyfultraveller1
Thank you for your lovely review, we hope to be able you again for a Meal, and perhaps a break
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went for sumday lunch. lovely welcome. asked if beef was rare to be told yes by the waitress. it was like shoe leather and not pink at all. the menu stated crushed roast potatoes, mmmm, school dinner round hard potatoes, diced sweded, carrots, cauli and broc, all naked and bland. i left the beef. The landlady cleared the table asked if it was ok. I explained that I waspromised rare beef. she apologised, walked away and avoided any more contact. TERRIBLE waste if my hard earned money and a sunday lunchtime. Such a shame that people dont care about their business.

1 Thank Ally C
thethatchedtavern, Owner at The Thatched Tavern, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Ally C
Glad you enjoyed the welcome you received. My apologies that the beef did not come out rare, I have brought up the issue with the Kitchen and asked that in future if they are unable to send out as ordered that they advise our guest prior to sending out the meal, so they can change their mind about the dish ordered.
Unfortunately there was a copying menu error on the day and the Roast should have been stated as a normal roast dinner. I did clear you table and because there was worried that a slice of meat was left on your plate asked if all was okay, the only issue you mentioned was that rare beef had been requested and it was well done, no other complaint was mentioned, as apart from one out of four potatoes the rest of the meal had been eaten, I thought that everything else was all right. I apologised and you said "don't worry you didn't cook it", I asked if you would like anything else and you advised that you did not, thus I left you to finish your drinks and went to deal with other customers. Your partner's meal had been fully eaten.
I am sorry if I felt that I avoided you, but this wasn't the case and I would have been available or another member of staff would have been happy to discuss the matter further if you had wished to do so at the time.
Of course we care about our business and I would love the opportunity to put things right, and would ask that you make yourself know to me if you decide to visit us again.