“By far the best meal of our holiday !!!!!”
Review of Memories Bistro

Memories Bistro
Ranked #12 of 353 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked this well in advance based on TA reviews for the last night of our holiday, and what a great meal to finish on.
We were greeted by Hazel like long lost friends, her service all evening was lovely.
Memories is a really cosy restaurant with a great atmosphere and a superb menu. This was the 14th meal of our holiday and I have to say one of the best, I had Brill which was one of the nicest pieces of fish I have eaten, presented beautifully cooked with a wonderful selection of veg, homemade crab cakes for starter packed with crab and delicious.
We managed to share a homemade bread and butter pudding again yummy.
The value here is amazing, superb food and service with drinks £52.00, all I can say is that if I was local , I would be in here on a regular basis.
Make the effort to venture up from the main part ofTorquay, it will be well worth the effort.

1  Thank YogaGirl10
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Many thanks Yogagirl for your fantastic review, It is so nice for us to be appreciated, and so kind of you to take the time.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Ten of us attended Memories in St Marychurch on 12 April 2013 to celebrate a friend's birthday. I was immediately taken by the friendly welcome from Hazel and Gordon, the proprietors.
Memories is a small bistro in the village of St Marychurch, on the outskirts of Torquay in Devon.
However, its size should not put anyone off visiting.
Quite simply, the food was magnificent, as was the selection of wines, and the prices were very reasonable for such high quality foid, drinks and service.
I would not hesitate to recommend Memories and am already thinking of making my next booking!

1  Thank PhilandClare55
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

So many thanks for your fantastic review, you were such a nice appreciative party that was a pleasure to serve, we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This ranks as the first among equals for me. I enjoy dining with friends at home, when I cook, and locally, when I hope for high standards, but sad to say, I meet with disappointment too often.
Not at Memories, where delicious meals are assured, using fresh ingredients, locally sourced, cooked to perfection, and attractively presented. Hazel expertly oversees all in the cosy Bistro style front of house, providing helpful assistance in choosing from the varied menu, while husband Gordon works wonders in the kitchen. Everything is skilfully organised, and the evening goes like clockwork, thanks to this efficient dream team..
A small but important detail - the toilet facilities are also well up to standard.
All told, my next visit to Memories is something to look forward to.

1  Thank mariecorina
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Many thanks Mariecorina for your fantastic review it is so nice to get such good feedback from such lovely customers as yourselves, we very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you favour red gingham tablecloths, wooden chairs, and cosy interesting environments much more than the current trend for black leather, chrome chairs, and sterile decor, then this is definitely the place for you!

We went to Memories following a personal recommendation and we had a relaxing memorable evening. You do need to book several weeks ahead as the owners have gradually scaled down to just Friday and Saturday evenings and there are only about 8 tables in total. Parking can also be a little tricky unless you know how to find your way into the carpark off Babbacombe precint or are lucky enough to get one of the very few free spaces nearby.

Despite these restrictions it was well worth it. My lamb cutlets and my partner's fish (local Brill) were cooked to perfection. We also had whitebait and John Dory starters (perfect) and I had a home-made Parfait desert which was delicious. In fact (unusual these days), the dessert are all home made and there are several traditional hot puddings such as sticky toffee on the menu. It is very unusual for me to be able to cope with eating three courses, but since the size of the portions was spot-on and everything was so delicious, I managed it easily.

The owners do the cooking (him) and serving (her) between them and Hazel instantly latched onto my partner's banter and repartee and managed to give as good as she got, while providing excellent but unhurried service to all the tables at the same time in a relaxed and very friendly way.

My request for next time (hint, hint) would be for home-made lemon meringue pie, since it is my favourite, but I'm not good at making it myself. There definitely will be a next time because an evening out here was just an all-round lovely experience...

gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thankyou Scoutkim for your very nice positive review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to us and liked our atmosphere, food and decor, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have had the good fortune to eat here 10+ times. On every occasion without exception the food and service has been consistently brilliant. The food is simple and honest. I would especially recommend the fish as it is day boat fish and cooked perfectly every time. It is always a treat to eat here.

1  Thank Mark H
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Many thanks Mark H for your review, It is always a pleasure to serve you as we know you really appreciate good fresh fish simply cooked. I'd only filleted the Turbot you enjoyed last night one hour before service. It was so nice when Hazel informed me that you said it was fantastic. Look forward to your next visit.