“Apt name for an unforgettable dining experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Memories Bistro

Memories Bistro
Ranked #27 of 332 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Apt name for an unforgettable dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

This ranks as the first among equals for me. I enjoy dining with friends at home, when I cook, and locally, when I hope for high standards, but sad to say, I meet with disappointment too often.
Not at Memories, where delicious meals are assured, using fresh ingredients, locally sourced, cooked to perfection, and attractively presented. Hazel expertly oversees all in the cosy Bistro style front of house, providing helpful assistance in choosing from the varied menu, while husband Gordon works wonders in the kitchen. Everything is skilfully organised, and the evening goes like clockwork, thanks to this efficient dream team..
A small but important detail - the toilet facilities are also well up to standard.
All told, my next visit to Memories is something to look forward to.

1 Thank mariecorina
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Many thanks Mariecorina for your fantastic review it is so nice to get such good feedback from such lovely customers as yourselves, we very much look forward to your next visit.

• Korean first
Devon England
“Lovely food, lovely decor, lovely service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you favour red gingham tablecloths, wooden chairs, and cosy interesting environments much more than the current trend for black leather, chrome chairs, and sterile decor, then this is definitely the place for you!

We went to Memories following a personal recommendation and we had a relaxing memorable evening. You do need to book several weeks ahead as the owners have gradually scaled down to just Friday and Saturday evenings and there are only about 8 tables in total. Parking can also be a little tricky unless you know how to find your way into the carpark off Babbacombe precint or are lucky enough to get one of the very few free spaces nearby.

Despite these restrictions it was well worth it. My lamb cutlets and my partner's fish (local Brill) were cooked to perfection. We also had whitebait and John Dory starters (perfect) and I had a home-made Parfait desert which was delicious. In fact (unusual these days), the dessert are all home made and there are several traditional hot puddings such as sticky toffee on the menu. It is very unusual for me to be able to cope with eating three courses, but since the size of the portions was spot-on and everything was so delicious, I managed it easily.

The owners do the cooking (him) and serving (her) between them and Hazel instantly latched onto my partner's banter and repartee and managed to give as good as she got, while providing excellent but unhurried service to all the tables at the same time in a relaxed and very friendly way.

My request for next time (hint, hint) would be for home-made lemon meringue pie, since it is my favourite, but I'm not good at making it myself. There definitely will be a next time because an evening out here was just an all-round lovely experience...

• 4 of 5 bubbles
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thankyou Scoutkim for your very nice positive review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to us and liked our atmosphere, food and decor, we look forward to your next visit.

“The fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have had the good fortune to eat here 10+ times. On every occasion without exception the food and service has been consistently brilliant. The food is simple and honest. I would especially recommend the fish as it is day boat fish and cooked perfectly every time. It is always a treat to eat here.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark H
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Many thanks Mark H for your review, It is always a pleasure to serve you as we know you really appreciate good fresh fish simply cooked. I'd only filleted the Turbot you enjoyed last night one hour before service. It was so nice when Hazel informed me that you said it was fantastic. Look forward to your next visit.

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“Fabulous yet again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Food the best the John Dory starter and the braised lamb, the best ever, if no one had have been watching I would have licked the plate!!

1 Thank Shelltez
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Many thanks Shelltez for your great review, we look forward to seeing soon.

“Tastes like the Sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Unbelievable fresh fish, Turbot/Bass/Red Mullet, sole & plaice & more any how you like it. Plus Steaks with sauces that only they can make. Such a good welcome, such a lovely atmosphere, home from home with food you have never experienced. Starters - try the giant prawns with garlic or their home made fish cakes. Always specials on the black board, something different every week. They really know how to buy fish & meat, how to cook & serve it & what to put with it. Good bar stock plus excellent wine choice. Very reasonable, we cannot better it in Torbay.

Visited April 2013
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Many thanks Sue C. for your excellent review, It is so nice for us to get such great feedback from our appreciative customers such as yourselves, and also that we are your favourite place to eat in Torbay.