“A business trip to Torquay”

and 1 more site!
The Babbacombe Royal Hotel
Ranked #44 of 150 Torquay B&B and Inns
Bradford on Avon,Wiltshire
“A business trip to Torquay”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Royal Hotel and carvery is a small hotel.My bedroom and en suite were excellent,The bathroom in particular was first class, one of the cleanest and well kept I have experienced, including those in much more expensive hotels. The breakfast was also excellent and good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Cardiff
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the Royal Hotel on 26 and 27 October 2012. The sea view was so lovely, and we really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere in the bar and restaurant. There was a local band playing on the Friday night - Knocked Out Loaded - a trio, blues-y band and good (if you are in the area and see them advertised!). It was a shame that the audience was small but we made as much noise as we could!

The food was excellent. We didn't bother, therefore, to look for anywhere else to eat.

The only downside is (as a previous reviewer has mentioned) that the heating was low or off, and the room quite cold.

Otherwise, a hit.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Moreton-in-Marsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Myself and some friends had 2 rooms on 13th & 14th October we were visiting friends and attending a christening locally,the rooms were spacious and clean and everything needed was provided and the sea views were an added bonus. The bar was spacious and had a good selection of drinks. We also ate on the Sunday as part of the christending party the carvery was delisious 4 choices of meats with all the trimmings and sauces and lots of veggies and potatoes everyone commented in how good the food was and how mcuh they had enjoyes it. We would reccomend the hotel and will check this place out before going elsewhere when we come to visit again.

Room Tip: Room 5 has direct sea view & Room 8 has a side sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
South Wales
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel has a great location and looks good from the outside. The interior is very much like the standard carvery pub and there is a bar at the back with a pool table and darts board. Consequently I had no great expectations of the room, despite reading the reviews before I booked. I was shown to room 6 which I have to say surpassed my expectations and, for the money I paid, was extraordinary good value for money.

I ate in the bar part of the hotel, although it does have an attractive restaurant. I ordered chicken supreme and was expecting some boil in the bag affair but when it arrived I was completely bowled over. The presentation was superb the meal was delicious. The menu warns you that there may be a delay in serving the food because it is freshly prepared, and there was a little wait but boy was it worth it. The chicken was cooked superbly, the sauce complemented it perfectly and the salad was fresh and varied, a simple dish but so very well done. I was tempted to have the chocolate tart to finish and when it arrived I did not know if I should eat it or just look at it, the presentation was a work of art. The desert was every bit as good as the main course. The two courses cost me 15 pounds and I would have been happy to pay almost twice that for the quality of food and service I had.

All in all, the hotel was a real surprise (in the right way) and I would most definitely return.

Room Tip: I was very happy with room six and was not troubled by any bar noise that others have commented upon...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
stockport,
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I booked in here for 4 nights on Friday 14/09. Our first contact was with the manageress I think her name was Jan, she was very helpful and very friendly. We stayed in room 8 which is very roomy and has fantastic views across the bay, you can even see the sea whilst sat in bed . Everything so far was great, however, we both had a shower before going out for the evening and found the water pressure was very low, my wife had a real problem getting the soap out of her hair. Then it became a bit chilly so I attempted to switch the radiators on, without success. Then the following morning we both went for a shower but found that the towels were still wet due to the elaborate heated towel rail not being switched on. We are not the sort to complain so we persevered. We carried on like this for a couple of days, when I received a phone call from my local hospital with regards to pending surgery. This meant that we had to leave a day early. We informed a member of staff the day before and asked if they could let the owners know. We had seen the owners a few times who while friendly appeared to be a bit stand-off. We saw one of the owners at breakfast on our final morning. We spoke to the manageress about having to leave early and offered our regrets all this took place in front of the owner and he never offered one word. We had paid for everything a month in advance including 8 breakfasts (very tasty) that have to be booked seperately. There wasn't one mention of any potential refund not even for the 2 breakfasts that we wouldn't be needing. I have left writing this review pending a possible e-mail, non have been sent. It is for this reason we can only give 4 and not 5 stars. This place could be great but for the penny pinching.

Room Tip: if i were to stay here again i would pick room 6 or 8 for the views alone.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank puddinlover
Babbacombe R, Owner at The Babbacombe Royal Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hi Puddinlover (love the name by the way)
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us but am sorry to hear that my personal actions affected this. Whilst as one of the owners I am on site seven days per week I never interfere in a situation which is already being dealt with by a menber of our team as I feel this undermines them (especially Jan who is more than capable in all areas.)
As a small privately owned business our cancellation and refund policy does not allow for early departures, as the likelyhood of room resale is slim to none, and we we could make ourselves vunerable to regular early departures less essential than your own. I am sorry that you see this as pennypinching but hope you can also see that it is a policy adhered to as part of a bigger picture. However a gesture of good will if you would like to make a return booking directly through ourselves I would be happy to ensure that your financial loss on your last break is compensated for in the cost of the next one.
Hoping to see you again, with kindest regards
Andrew
bham
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We called in to The Royal after a lovely walk in Babbacombe although not for the faint hearted. We actually went on the cliff railway down to Oddicombe beach which is a sun trap. We were both peckish so my husband had the lunchtime carvery which was excellent and i had a sandwich which came with a lovely chutney, salad and 2 roast potatoes which i felt was a little odd, but i have to say was very tasty. Well done Royal, we will definitely be back and we will stay next time as they have fantastic sea views!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
devon
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Sunday Lunch or Grill Night, Had both with guests, The food was great and the service excellant. Very well priced with great offers. Great views of the coast and the Downs. On the coastal footpath very close to the cliff railway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family