“Catch this olde worlde charm while you can !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #52 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Poole
“Catch this olde worlde charm while you can !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

Stayed here mid Feb for 2 night break with older teenagers and have stayed here many times across the years since the children were young. Always found the service very helpful, polite and charming, even these days of many staff from foreign shores, like all hotels, but having said that many of the staff have been there a long time and always remember your name...how many hotels can do that today? Yes its a big old fashioned style hotel and many of the rooms are rather dated (unless you upgrade to executive or a suite) but they are spotlessly clean and the rooms looking over the extensive gardens are very quiet and well worth paying a few pounds extra for... the gardens are about 25 acres and well maintained and there is a path down through the trees to a nearby rocky cove. I'm surprised previous reviewers have never mentioned the excellent sports facilities here which was the reason we very first visited the hotel... its own 9 hole twisting golf course (no tee times needed or fancy golf wear), a gym, indoor pool, outdoor pool (in july/august), 4 outdoor tennis courts, indoor tennis courts, squash courts, 2 full size snooker tables and a table tennis table, if thats not enough theres also a croquet lawn and putting green (all sports equipment available to hire from reception). This hotel is a rarity still being privately owned, not a chain, and is trying hard to keep its standards up in a changing world, from the quiet elegant lounge to indulge in a cream tea (yummy !) to the pianist playing in the high ceilinged dining room on fri/sat eves, its a blast from the past and only a £4 taxi ride from central Torquay, where if you have kids, do visit Living Coast with seabirds, seals, penguins etc all close up on the seafront and Paignton Zoo (about 15 mins by car is also excellent these days). I agree there are no boutique, high tech bedrooms with plasma screens and wifi in them, but nonetheless the Palace does have a charm of its own if you appreciate it...stay soon before -who- knows- one day maybe it will be sold or redeveloped.... I do hope not !!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lagoon44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

Like many old British hotels, the grand exterior of The Palace is sadly let down by the quality of the interiors. Anyone used to staying in 4* Boutique or Business Hotels will be disappointed with The Palace, but this is reflected in the price which I think offers good value for what's on offer.

The reception, restaurant and room service staff were all extremely courteous and accommodating. Although very dated and tired the rooms are functional. I was pleased to see a bath but the bathroom was very pokey.

The Palace is potentially a great hotel, but one sadly stuck in a bygone era. The management have reluctantly relaxed their strict dress code for dining in the restaurant, but being under the age of retirement I still felt slightly out of place!

Oh and by the time I checked out, I was desperate for some phone reception and a decent cup of coffee!!!

• Liked — Convenient for the purpose of my trip
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LisaDer
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

As a young fella escorting my grandmother for a weekend away in Torquay, I was naturally sceptical about the Palace Hotel and the comments made last year regarding its appearance and staff. How wrong was I? I needn't have been worried as from the moment we arrived and entered the reception area we were treated like royalty. It looks like they have redecorated all the corridors and most of the rooms. For prospective guests, pay more for the garden views as the rooms and views really makes the stay worthwhile. The food was excellent and the waitresses attended to our every need, they even knew the local origin of the meat when questioned!
My grandmother thoroughly enjoyed the silver service we received throughout our stay and, for me, it harked back to the good old days when guests dined in large rooms with grand pianos and took high tea in the conservatory.

• Liked — Quintesentially England
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Palace and I just had to write and say what an enjoyable time we had at the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were extremely polite and went out of their way to make sure we had a relaxing break.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chichester West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

We stayed at the Palace to celebrate out 21st Wedding Anniversary over the Aug Bank holiday. It was a great price at £64.00 DBB per person. We were not disapointed with our basic room although a little tired and need of refurbishment it was clean and adequate for our needs. we over looked the tennis court, we would have loved a garden view but our budget didnt allow it this time, i was told that they were at a much higher standard. However the hotel is such a splendid place to stay, we had cream tea on the terrace overlooking the beautifull gardens and swimming pool.
The staff were very pleasent and attentive. The breakfast was plentifull with a selection of cearals fruit, fruit juices and a full breakfast. The evening meal was a delight, not only a good choice of 4 courses with excellent service but we were accompanied by the grand piano with a selection on light tunes from classical to show tunes. If you are a need of a little sufficication and refinement then the Palace hotel is for you. With coffee being taken in the elegant lounges, and with evening entertainment with Jazz bands and the resident singer it fills your evening. I have recommended this hotel to friends and especially my parents who i know would love it .

• Liked — The sufficicated dinning
  • Disliked — Basix Rooms need modenising
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Broughton Astley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

I have just returned from a 3 day break at the Palace Hotel, Torquay. Before I went on the break I read numerous uncomplimentary reviews on tripadvisor, I was therefore a little dubious about my visit. I had no reason to be concerned as the hotel's hospitality, food and services were first rate. Although the standard bedrooms were a little small and dated, they had all the facilities that you require and were very clean. The gardens and leisure facilities are impressive, and the dining experiences at breakfast and dinner were complimented by excellent service.

• Liked — Good facilities in very attractive setting with fine food.
  • Disliked — Bedrooms are dated and some on the small side.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

I've been going to Torquay every summer for the last 18 years and having stayed in the same hotel for each of these years, I thought it might be nice for a change. Especially since the 4 star Palace hotel was offering standard rooms at a mere 64 pounds a night. The website boasted how the Palace was a luxorious hotel with top class facilities and the pictures on show did appear to reflect this. Worried about breaking away from my comfort zone, I decided to do some research and came across websites like this where on almost every occasion the reviews seemed to either say it was brilliant or awful. I assumed those who reviewed the hotel so poorly must just be super picky. How wrong I was.
The Palace boasts of its secluded yet accessible position, apparently its only a short distance from Torquay Sea front. Lies. I never did walk from there to the harbourside but I can imagine it would take at the least 25 mins, not to mention the fact that the return walk is up a steep hill. Secluded? The front of the hotel is certainity not. Its on the busy Babbacombe Road and if you have a front facing room, which I would guess all of the standard rooms are, you're going to get a lot of noise.
My first impression after the shock at just how far out it is, was of instant disappointment. The appearance is a washed out green colour, dont be fooled by the website, its far far more dull than that. Then I saw the indoor swimming pool and this gave me a taste of what was to come. It was tiny and in desperate need of decorating. The reception area is probably about the nicest part of the hotel but again the colour scheme is so outdated and looks like it could do with a good renovation.
Every corridor I walked through was gloomy and there was a weird musky smell in the air. What suprised me most was just how empty it was. The squash courts werent in use, neither was the indoor or outdoor tennis courts. The gym was deserted and in the lounges I saw about 3 people all of whom looked fed up and depressed.
The outdoor pool was the killer though. My family and I are keen swimmers and the website had shown a pool that size wise resembled what we are used to from a holiday pool. Lies again. The actual pool was about a third of a size of that!! If all of us had got in it, we probably would not have been able to move. And it was covered up and not in use! In the middle of summer! Okay it had been raining but the weather doesnt bother some people!
Incrediably disappointed with what we had seen, we instantly left so i cant comment on the standard of the food or rooms but judging by what I had seen, I doubt they would have been up to much.
The Palace might suit an older clientele but if any families are thinking of heading here, think again! There is no way this hotel is aimed at children or for that matter anyone living in the 21st century. This is not a four star hotel at all. I think a visit from a hotel inspector is in desperate need to give it its real modern day rating. Basic facilities, a poor location and decor that will make you feel depressed make the Palaces ' finest hotel in Torquay' slogan seem like an april fools joke.
Thankfully, the hotel we usually stay at managed to squeeze us in for that week so we ended up having a great holiday, something i know for certain would not have happened at a place so wrongly named!!

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank unimpressed668

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels