“Not for us”
Review of TLH Toorak Hotel

TLH Toorak Hotel
Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed for a 2 night family gathering organised for a Diamond Wedding Celebration 26/28 July. When the brochure arrived, I could see that it wasn't somewhere my husband and I would have chosen for ourselves, as we usually choose small intimate hotels in quiet locations. We were travelling up after a stay in Cornwall and arrived at 7.30 p.m. hot and sticky from a day at The Eden Project. Other members of our 20-+ family were going out for dinner, which we at first thought odd, given there was a restaurant with good 'Tripadvisor' scorings. We needed showers and to un-wind, so decided to stay in the hotel - big mistake! After a cup of tea and showers we went to the restaurant to find it had closed at 8.30. 8.30 on a Friday night! I ask you? Was this a children's or retirement home? We later discovered that one of the other hotels finishes dinner at 7.45 and the other two at 8.00 p.m. We made our way to the bar - big screen t.v. blaring out - hoping to get at least a bar snack, only to be told they didn't serve food, but we could have room service. Not what we wanted. After our drink, we went in search of something to eat at the rest of the complex. Albert's bar in the Victoria was heaving with loud music and karaoke blaring out. We eventually found the Aztec bar in the Derwent I think - only to find they had stopped serving food. Everywhere we went there were young teens careering around and even young babies still around at what was then 9.30 p.m. We later discovered it was a 'special break' weekend with discount prices for families with children - paying far less than we had been charged. We gave up in disgust and went back to our room and ordered a sandwich. Eating an admittedly very good prawn sandwich at, by the time they arrived at 10.00 p.m. was not what we had anticipated. Obviously the whole complex is designed for either families with young children or geriatrics who go to bed at 9.00 p.m.

We discovered the next morning that the other members of our party came back at just before 11.00 and were only able to get one quick drink before the bar was closed unceremoniously. Why is there no bar service for residents. We were a party of 30 - 85 year olds with all ages in between, there for an extended family get-together - not a hen or stag party - wanting a good, but refined time.

Breakfast on both mornings was fine - good choice of options, but under-staffed. One very off-putting thing was that our waitress on both mornings had terrible, and I mean terrible, B.O. The poor girl was obviously over-worked, but no excuse for that.

The Anniversary function on the Saturday night was lovely, but that is not what I am reviewing. I am reviewing what I paid for and I consider it was very overpriced. We booked a Riviera twin room and when doing so I was informed we would have a seaview and share a terrace with other Riviera rooms. Well, we were on the ground floor - the room was fine, a little dated, but fine with a small stuffy bathroom, but two walk in closets. I could just about see the sea, if I stood on tiptoe, peering between trees, there was about a 6' 'glimpse'. We live in the Midlands, so don't get to see the sea very often. There were slabs outside our window with a table and chairs further along, but no access to them - unless we were able to 'limbo' out of the 10" opening at ground floor level of the only opening window. After asking for assistance to open a higher window - for air - not to get out of! we were told that was the only part of the large bay window that opened. This meant that we had to close it when leaving our room and especially at night, to avoid unwanted visitors. The room and indeed the whole hotel, was stuffy.

I consider this hotel, which has obviously seen better days, in a not very tasteful area, is very overpriced. We paid over £120 a night - £40 more than the hotel of far higher standard we had stayed at in Cornwall. I always take a middle line on Tripadvisor reviews by other people and try to be fair in my comments, but I feel 'ripped off' and disappointed. Maybe ok for families with children and teenagers, looking for a raucous time around the pools, bars, etc., but not for more discerning couples. There is no way I would return to this hotel or recommend it to anyone else.

Highlights: Excellent prawn sandwiches and leaving!

Lowlights: Just about everything else.

Room Tip: Room 34 - if you don't want air. Double and twin beds - 2 superb walk in wardrobes/dressing roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GrannyOrbie
Nigel B, General Manager at TLH Toorak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and you were disappointed
Late July there will always be a large amount of families staying on the complex. We do however cater for all tastes, Our entertainment offers a variety for all tastes and ages in 5 different venues on the nights that you stayed and lots of different bars to chose from until midnight
As you say your choice is country house hotels
We had great feed back from the diamond wedding celebration that you attended with " great food and service"
We do appreciate your feedback as all feedback helps us improve what we do

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just returned from our first family visit to Torquay. We stayed at the Toorak Hotel, part of the TLH Leisure resort. We stayed in a Riviera room, for 4 people, which was very large, with plenty of space. We weren't sure about taking the Dinner option, but are glad that we did, as the food was delicious, with a good choice, and very good quality. The facilities are very wide ranging and very good too !! All the staff we encountered were very efficient and friendly. All this was topped off with excellent weather. The kids have already asked about going again next year !!

1  Thank Goonergreg1960

It's good to see you had a good time with us and enjoyed the food and facilities
Hope to see you all again next year

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 30, 2013

All staff were most helpful on our recent stay at the Toorak. Most of the rooms were spacious with wonderful views and they overlook stunning views. The gardens are well maintained, quiet and secluded for a good relaxing read and the food in the restaurant was most enjoyable. We even had the luxury of a harpist during dinner. The bowling staff ensured we were well looked after and we found the hotel well situated for all our travelling about. There is a bowls shop on site with plenty of equipment and the Toorak indoor bowling rinks would have been available if we had to cancel a match thru bad weather. We were very fortunate this year that the sun shone each and every day, making our stay even more enjoyable. Thank you to the Toorak staff for all your hard work.

Room Tip: Request ground or first floor if mobility poor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank patricia c

Thank you for taking the time to post a review
I am glad that your bowls tour was a success, thank you for your kind comments that I have passed them on to the team here. We hope to see you on one of our bowls holidays soon!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel staff couldn't do enough for us, they remembered our dietary requirements and needs for the baby on every occasion. Lots to do here for kids, they'll never be bored. Rooms were clean and well decorated. Could do with some air conditioning for hot nights but apart from that, an excellent stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review its good to see your family had a great time and that we looked after you. Sounds like the staff did a good job!
Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Reception staff and restaurant staff extremely friendly & very helpful. Their was plenty of entertainment to chose from with a fun night from Kevin, KB Sounds, also great vocalists with lovely personalities. Nick from the entertainment team kept us all dancing and was good fun too. I do think that 9pm is late enough to have the children in the ballroom as although I love to see them, it would be great to have some 'adult' time before 10pm, when a lot of people are too tired to party! Also, the food is good in the Toorak but personally I find the deserts are boring and repeated 2 nights running. Deserts are the favourite part of my meal but I ended up with ice cream every evening, which was the same when I stayed there last time. Just a bit disappointing really that no one took any notice of my completed questionnaire from my last visit pointing out the lack of desert variation.

Room Tip: Having speaking to other guests, I would ask for a room away from the kitchen fans as they start up...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us
I have noted your comments about children after 9pm and also desserts. We do like feedback to see what you like and dislike so thank you
Hope to see you back soon

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My mother and I visited the Toorak on one occasion, and after being impressed by the hotel, have come back whenever we wish to visit Torquay. The location of the hotel is fabulous, especially in the summer when the views are most beautiful. Our room was gorgeous, and had an en suite with a large bubble bath, dressing table, balcony and telly. I was particularly excited about the phone from which we could order room service. We ordered smoked salmon sandwiches for our first lunch at the hotel after packing, which tasted divine. All of the food which we were served during our stay was cooked to perfection, there was such a variety to chose from on the menu. Not to mention the breakfast buffet, which we both loved! The hotel itself was stunning! We found ourselves wanting to stay in to explore the hotel rather than going out on day trips. The different lounges, tennis courts, and gardens seemed to be all we needed. We spent a lot of our time in the Aztec spa, which was unique and refreshing! I never wanted to get out of that pool! I would recommend the hotel to anyone, and I am looking forward to our next visit immensely!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and kind comments
I am glad you had such a good time and got to use our facilities
We appreciate your business as a regular visitor and hope to see you again soon
Kind Regards

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Toorak hotel 12th and 13th July 2013. As always the staff were excellent, rooms and food very good. The complex provides excellent facilties for all. We were especially taken with Adona, the Restaurant manager who always has time for the guests and the dining room staff provide a feel good experience.

Well done again Toorak.

Room Tip: We were fortunate to have a sea view on the second floor with lovely views over the Bay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Good to see you had a nice short break and thank you for the kind comments which I have passed on to the team here, come back soon