“Really enjoyed my stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Richmond, Virginia
“Really enjoyed my stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've been coming to Torquay for 3 decades now and have always walked past the Grand Hotel, wondering what it was like and whether it lived up to its "grand" title. Well, I'm pleased to say that it does. I stayed here for 4 nights recently and found the staff extremely friendly, the food delicious and the rooms clean. The rooms are a bit dated (the hair dryer appeared to be from a museum exhibit), but clean and comfortable. There was a kettle along with tea, coffee and biscuits in the room, as well as a safe in the wardrobe. There was a full English breakfast served every day, which was sufficient for my breakfast needs. My only complaint is the horrible music that played throughout the dining room. Michael Buble I believe. I had several dinners in the main dining room, which were very good. The view is very nice and the seating comfortable. I would stay here again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank acornwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
devon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

So my parents had booked a one night stay in room/ suite 100 as mother is disabled and was told they would have grab rails in bathroom around toliet and shower this was made very clear when booking and considering the one night b&b cost £278 you would expect the room to be right especaily when the guest arriving is disabled. So on arrival room not quite ready so went out when we came back they checked in and i took my mum up to room to find no grab rails or any aids in bathroom my mothers heart sank as she would be unable to use bathroom without help. Less than impressed we went back down stairs and explain situation to dad left them in bar and i went to recieption who aplogised and said the would get all aids put in straight away so i thought nothing more of it and we had a drink in bar. Myself and husband were staying down the rd so arranged to meet for dinner at the grand at 8 my parents went to freshen up went too room and as they went to use loo put pressure on grab rail by toliet it came off wall lucky nobody was badly hurt! When told recieption they said they get it fix no mention of accident book! Then came dinner by this time my mum was pretty upset so we ate in resturant by bar food starters were cold and also my first starter was dropped in my lap so i had to wait twice as long for next one ! The main courses half of it didnt arrive if you order a rib eye steaks and chips at £25 you would expect to get the chips at same time as steak but we didnt recieve them i ask twice about missing items but by the time someone came over to say we could have them soon we had finished! So a manager came over to say sorry etc and would discount dinner bill by this time it was nearly midnight and assured me rails were fixed properly so i left thinking parents would be safe in there room ! Only to recieve a call 20mins after my parents had gone bk to room no grab rails by toliet ! So he point blankley lied to me £278 for what ,definately not 4star ! So angry !

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank michellecoles21

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had booked a table for lunch at 1pm to celebrate my stepfather's 90th birthday. We arrived at 12.55pm to find the table wasn't ready. Indeed, another couple had to be moved from a window table and the cutlery, glasses and napkins hurriedly taken across. We thought that was poor.

We thought the prices were a little odd. Two of us had the £16.95 for three courses set menu; the other had a main course from the other menu which cost £14.95! The asparagus and hollandaise starter came with a poached egg - not mentioned on the menu. Just as well I hadn't ordered it as I don't like eggs. My gnocchi main course was okay, but too rich and appeared to have been sitting under a hot lamp as there sauce looked somewhat congealed. The pudding of orange and grapefruit posset was tasty, but the serving was enormous!

The waitresses were attentive - so much so that one came across to ask if everything was okay when we hadn't even had our starters delivered. The food took quite some time to come and our lunch lasted 2.5 hours which seemed quite a long time.

We wouldn't go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DJF710
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Just returned after a weeks holiday at this hotel spoilt somewhat by the poor quality of the evening meals.Very limited choice and exceedingly meagre portions of poor quality.Representations on the internet prior to booking did not bear resemblance to actuality. It seems there are a number of optional menus not indicated at the time of booking many at extra cost.The hotel and facilities were satisfactory but the service was not what you expect in a four star hotel.Complaints to management were not satisfactorily answered and I would certainly not return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank john h
Waterloo Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

It is without any doubt a beautiful hotel. The food was excellent and presented like real artwork. A delight for the eyes too, besides the taste. Friendly staff, our room was spacious and very clean. We stayed there for 4 nights.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Started excellently, upgraded as normal, stayed here 4 times a year roughly for 3 years now and recommended to friends and family who have stayed on many occassions. It is a traditional hotel by the sea and in every way the name says it all. It is Grand. Friendly staff,dated but period traditional well sized rooms. I entertain clients on my visits in the rstaurant as it is, by there admission, one of the best places to eat in Torquay. However on this occassion, it was not to be.
I would
Ike to add at this point, the staff were amazing and helpful. The bill was reduced due to the poor quality.

The food has taken a step back in quality. The steaks were greasy, served on a wooden platter and the chips were undercooked. The mushroom was earthy, the peppercorn sauce watery and overall was little better than what you would expect in a cafe.

Starters were small, there was no presentation to the dishes and the petit fours were similar to a pick and mix.

Only if the food returns to its former glory will I return.

PS breakfast, hard poached eggs, soggy toast and a poor display of buffet food. Great Hotel but needs to go back to its roots for repeat custom.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have stayed at The Grand with my elderly parents 3 times within the last year each time for 5 nights. We chose the dinner, bed and breakfast option as the standard of food and choices on the menu (changed daily) were consistently high. The staff are attentive, helpful, friendly and welcoming. The heated indoor and outdoor pools are a bonus along with the spa. I can only repeat that on all 3 visits, these high standards have been maintained. Well done The Grand!

Room Tip: We always chose sea facing rooms as the views over the bay and Torquay are awesome and the sunrises...