“Compass Lounge , great lunch spot” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Grand Hotel
Ranked #36 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Surrey
“Compass Lounge , great lunch spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Two recent visits for Saturday lunch, food very good on both occasions. Particularly liked the desserts of the day this time. Tables by the window facing the sea are perfect. Excellent service both times by Magda, gold star for her! Will be back again before long!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SunnySurreyTraveller
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank for your excellent review regarding your two recent visits for lunch in our Compass lounge. I am pleased you like our new menu and in particular our dessert of the day. Our tables in the Brasserie area are situated to give most diners panoramic reviews across the bay on either a sunny or stormy day.
I am glad Magda provided you with excellent service on both occasions and I will pass on your comments to her. I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Andrew Griffiths
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Oxfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were supposed to stay for the weekend at the beginning of January but the awful storms and flooding made it impossible for us to travel. (The AA and other agencies advised against it, and our road was badly flooded and impassable for days). I rang to see whether I could change the booking and the young lady was really helpful. She re-arranged the booking for last weekend instead.

Our weekend was enjoyable, and our stay only marginally less comfortable than before. We were a little disappointed that breakfast was now served to us at our table and was not particularly hot. There is really no excuse as they have enough staff and presumably enough equipment to serve a hot breakfast. The buffet we had previously enjoyed seemed a much better idea to us.

There is a special charm about The Grand Hotel. Yes, it may need some refurbishment but it is clean and comfortable, the view over Torbay is to die for, and the staff are friendly and efficient. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

One gripe is that we were not charged the agreed rate for our stay when we checked out last Sunday. We were charged an additional £80 which I felt was not good practice. If there had been a surcharge for the change of booking, it should have been discussed and agreed with me on the telephone when I asked if the original booking could be changed. The person I spoke to said nothing about a revised price for the weekend, therefore I was expecting to pay the agreed price for the original booking. I e-mailed but have not yet had a reply or explanation. That is really disappointing.

1 Thank RosebudLily
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

stayed overnight at the grand hotel we were visting family in the area so we thought we stay in this hotel for a treat , the room was nice , had nice swim in the heat pool , very nice , went out in the evening there was a harvester about ten minutes away that was very good value , went for breakfast in the morning we both ordered a full english with a poached egg , it was awful you could not eat it which just left it all ,so dissapointing for a four star hotel really should only be two star, so be careful if you like a nice breakfast dont book here chose somewhere else , we are very dissapointed with this hotel wanted to stay another night but chose to go home .

Room Tip: chose on the south side
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bubbadee

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I went to the Grand hotel 'spa' for a much needed day of r and r after being flooded out. Decided against the £90 Day pass- 2 treatments/lunch with mineral water/use of pool/sauna and jacuzzi and opted for the £30 January deal for 2 treatments, then paid for the pool entry and paid for my lunch. I was so glad that I did. I will say that the beauticians are fantastic, I had the best massages from Nina, who was charming and extremely professional. I sadly cannot say the same for the pool etc. The pool is Ok, but the surroundings are very faded- horrible whicker chairs ( only a couple and a sofa) covered with mold stained covers and a couple of plastic upright chars. So not the place to 'relax' on a lounger after your treatments if you are having the Day package. As for the changing rooms- horrible ! Circa 1950's public swimming pool, chipped paint-cramped, useless one hairdryer ( circa 1970 Travelodge !). You also need to dress to have lunch in the Compass Bar, so not the inclusive spa experience that you would hope for where you can lunch in the dressing gown. You would feel rather out of place dressed like that ! So - lunch.... I sat in the front corner of the bar on a reasonably comfortable armchair overlooking the sea and opposite a seriously faded sofa ( shiny upholstery on arm through use). The bar has a very tatty feel to it, it could be so fantastic with only a little re-furb, mainly furniture. It had a nice atmosphere and was very busy. I had an excellent crab sandwich with side salad (£11 though) and a nice glass of prosecco (£4.50) which I thought reasonable. The staff were utterly charming and efficient. So hence 3 stars- I would give 5 to the beauty salon but 2 for the general shabbiness. Silly, it could be so so good with just a little more effort- it is not even 'shabby chic' either- just worn. I really would so love to be able to use this spa more often, there is such a need in Torbay for this sort of place. I cannot understand why in Brittany ( ie Dinard and St Malo) there are thalassotherapy hotels- Why not in Devon, it is the same sea. Now there is an idea ?!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent spa day at the Grand Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the massage and food element of your day. I am sorry you felt the facilities did not meet your expectations. Last year we submitted plans to the local council for a refurbishment of our leisure facilities. This I am pleased to say was approved and we are hoping to undertake this task later on in the year. As a hotel we are well aware of investment needed in certain areas and we have instigated a structured refurbishment programme going forward. In fact we have just started on our rooms on the 1st floor. I hope you will be able to come back and experience the exciting changes happening at the Grand Hotel for 2014.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Having stayed at the hotel before we had no hesitation in organising our January 3 night break as our Christmas presents to one another. The hotel did not disappoint us. From a warm welcome at the reception right through to all the remaining staff that we dealt with they were friendly and efficient. Particular thanks must be given to the dining room and kitchen staff when we ate the evening meals. My wife has food allergies and they took great trouble in making suggestions and altering all the courses as appropriate. They could not have been more helpful.The food was imanginative and excellent. Our room was very smart. We came away having had very good value for our money and we will return.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your fantastic review and I was pleased to hear you treated yourself to a stay at the Grand Hotel as a Christmas Present. Thank you for thinking of us at such a special time of year. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and you found the staff extremely professional and friendly. They are an asset to us and can make or break a guest’s stay. It just shows here we will go beyond a customer’s expectation where possible, especially with dietary requirements. All you need to do is let us know any special requirements and sit back and enjoy your stay and we will take care of the rest. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at the Grand just after new year 2014.
On first impressions were that the old place is looking very tired outside and needs quite a lot of TLC.
Checking in was smooth and hassle free. Lobby and bar areas are lovely and exactly what you would expect, very nice.
Our room was a premier inland double. The furniture and general condition and finish was oh so very tired and certainly was not what you would wish for nor expect from an alleged 4* Hotel.
The Journey from the room to the lift was also very interesting, walking over bald and threadbare carpet. What the hell are you doing Richardson Hotels, come on this is not 4* more like 2*.
You are obviously more interested in bringing in revenue from weddings and functions than you are caring for the accommodation and rooms.
The evening meals in the restaurant were as good as ever perfectly cooked.
Sadly breakfast is not what we have grown to expect from the grand. The breakfast used to be a buffet for hot and the continental options which was always fantastic. Now sadly to reduce costs they now serve you with the hot or meant to be hot breakfast. We had ours it was cold when it arrived also the bacon was destroyed and hard as hell and had to squint to see it..
So come on the grand sort things out please you have been and could be so much more than this. Watch out you may soon be 3* if your not very, very careful.
I would probably return to this Hotel but there is much better around for much less.

Room Tip: Very small rooms in the past have stayed in a sea view room and that was also a joke.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Goldilocks38
Thank you for your review. Yes you are correct the Grand is an old place and is situated right on the seafront about 1 mile from the centre of Torquay. We are aware of some tlc in places and over the last 6 month and the next 12 months we have started to invest in the structure and refurbishment of the building again. As a company we have already invested a significant amount in this grand old lady and she still needs constant care and attention in the future. Looking after the Grand Hotel is like painting the Forth Road Bridge when you finish at one end you have to immediately begin at the other. With this in mind we have already started refurbishment of our 1st floor rooms and hope to begin on the 2nd floor later this year.
I can assure you as a company we have not changed the way we serve breakfast from a buffet to plated to reduce costs. In fact the opposite is true in this case, it takes more members of the team to serve a plated breakfast and to prepare a plated breakfast than it does a buffet. We are also looking at revamping a breakfast going forward to make sure we are offering the best quality and product to our guests. I must apologise though for you not receiving your breakfast hot on this occasion and the bacon being destroyed as this is not the usual standard we are proud of here. I hope you will return in the future and you will see the hard work the management and team are putting in at the hotel to maintain and improve our standards for our guests.

brighton, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Although our room was fairly small, for the price we paid we thought it was perfect. The bed was comfy with plenty of pillows and cushions and the en-suite had decent towels (not those too small ones!) We made use of the heated indoor pool and sauna. The Jacuzzi was the warmest I had ever used- lovely. All the staff seemed attentive and friendly. We ate dinner in the bar overlooking Torquay bay. The other half said that it was the best fish and chips he had ever had, but my veggie pasta dish was a bit too bland for my liking. Good place for a couple of days stay.