“Dated”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at The Grand for their Autumn Dinner and Dance Ball with Joey the Lips. Our room was very dated especially the bathroom, the bed was lumpy, some furniture seemed to be missing from the room as the TV was on the floor! The food for the dinner was very tasty but the service from the staff was very unprofessional and they clearly had not been given much training - not in accordance with 4 star rating! The waitress who served my food admitted she didnt know what it was she was serving as she hadn't looked at the menu! Our breakfast waiter was also very abrupt. Not sure about the cardboard 'Richardson' cut out in reception. The pool and spa area desparately needs an upgrade especially the changing room which was quite manky.Would not recomemmend!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you felt your room was a little dated, we have a structured refurbishment plan going forward for our bedrooms and we have submitted plans for our new pool and spa which will include updating the changing facilities. We do have a dedicated person who cleans the pool area throughout the day.

I am glad you found the dinner very tasty and I am sure you enjoyed Joey the Lips. I am surprised the waitress did not know what was on the menu as a briefing is standard at The Grand prior to any event and this includes running through the menu.
Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We came for a short rest and recuperation break at this lovely hotel. Even late in the year it remains lively and with many guests so there is always something to do. We had a splendid room with every comfort and can thoroughly recommend it The meals are excellent and the staff outstanding. It occupies the best place on the sea front.
M and J Hardman

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hardmans2013
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Thank you very much for your beautiful comments about The Grand Hotel and sharing this on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to hear you were delighted with the hotel facilities and your meals were excellent and the team outstanding.

I have shared your comments with the entire team and we are happy that your stay with us was enjoyable, and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

As a long standing out of season client at this hotel we generally know what to expect although this time we had a disappointing first night dinner experience followed by a poor breakfast service with many items missing from hot buffet and no bread for toast!. The next two days were totally different and back to normal standards although disappointed that scrambled eggs are a request item. We suspect the returning Restaurant Manager was the reason as supervision on first day was non existent. Rooms are clean but need modernisation and although the radiator was off, the room was too hot as the main hot water system ran above the floorboards through the room. Receptionists were all first class and the bar staff excellent. Bargain break at good price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bootsman

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I am glad to hear you are a long standing out of season guest of the hotel, thank you for your loyal custom.

I am disappointed to hear your first nights dinner experience was not to your expectation and the next day breakfast was poor. This is not our usual high standard we set ourselves here and for this I apologise. I am happy your next two days experience was far better.
We have moved away from a hot buffet and now our breakfast are all plated and served to you from the kitchen. We believe this will enhance the service and quality of our breakfast and you can order whatever eggs you like as before.

I have passed on your comments to all the team at the hotel on their first class service and
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have stayed at the Grand on several occasions in the past and try to visit for a weekend every year.
This year it was a very last minute decision to go, but we were certainly not disappointed. We paid for a superior sea-view room and had a stunning view over the bay. We had a BBD arrangement so eat in the restaurant both evenings. As always, the food was excellent and the service impeccable.
I know that nowhere pleases everyone, but I can honestly say that, as someone who has travelled fairly extensively, this is a good hotel with ever improving standards, so I am more than a little surprised at some of the negative comments.
Don't let the nay-sayers put you off visiting, you will enjoy a pleasant and relaxing weekend (or longer) at the Grand.

Room Tip: I can't remember the room number, but the Superior Sea-view rooms are exactly that, and worth a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richarde48

Thank for your excellent comments on tripadvisor and your return custom on several occasions this is appreciated. As we are located on the seafront many of our rooms have lovely views across the bay and we have a competitive tariff to suit most budgets especially during the autumn and winter period.

I am glad you found our food to be excellent and our service to be impeccable. We are working very hard to raise our standards and not just meet our guest’s expectation but exceed them where possible.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I've been to the Grand at least 15 times and my mother has visited often over the past 40 years, The Grand holds many happy memories for her and despite trying to persuade her she always wants to come back. We recently stayed for 4 nights. Our room was clean but dated, however being near the delivery entrance you are woken early by deliveries.The food in the compass lounge was good but the choice for my mother was limited. We used to always eat in the dining room but the atmosphere in the compass loung is much nicer. We have noticed that every year there are new cutbacks, I'm not suggesting you reintroduce sorbet, canopies or posh biscuits in the room but as regular customers the cutbacks are noticed (I could add plenty of others) The recent changes made to breakfast include, no scrambled eggs on the buffet, sad danish pastries, no meat or cheese options for continetal, large bowls of help yourself cereals (which kids put hands in!). Often the buffet had empty trays and it took a long time to be refilled. The fresh cut fruit salad had a tin of fruit coctail added. This is not the enjoyable breakfast experience of the past. Please stop cutting back and think of your large following of return bookings who are not sure what will be missing on our next visit (if we do return).

Room Tip: The rooms facing the station can be noisey
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chrissyg22

Thank you for yours and your mothers’ loyal custom and staying with us over the years. It is guests like yourselves who keep coming back who are ambassadors for the Grand Hotel and we really appreciate your custom. I am saddened to hear you feel we are cutting back as I feel this is not the case. We have installed new flat screen televisions in every room and duvets are now standard. The hot breakfast buffet has now been replaced with table service to enhance our guests’ experience. Our Danish pastries are cooked fresh every morning and we have replaced the individual cereal cartons with large bowls of cereals with serving spoons to give our guests the option of having as much or as little as the cereal as they want. If we were cutting back we would stay with portion controlled cereals. I can assure you our fruit salad is made fresh and not tinned fruit cocktail.
We have two dining experiences at the Grand Hotel the 1881 restaurant and the Compass Lounge. The restaurant offers more formal dining with a rosette award for culinary excellence and the Compass Lounge offers more traditional favourites in a relaxed atmosphere. These we feel offer an excellent alternative for our guests and they all have their favourite place to dine like you.
I do hope you will return and I will be happy to talk to you about our future plans at the Grand Hotel. I can assure you we are looking at a variety of ways to enhance our guests experience going forward to make the Grand stand out from our competition.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel has a lot that should be going for it. A lovely seaside location, some charming rooms. Too bad that the service is so bad we stayed in the main floor corner room nice view but right on a street corner. Horrible lumpy bed. The towels were nice but you needed an engineering degree to figure out the shower. Nice bar with a view. The dining room was attractive in a huge old hotel dining room way but the service in the dining room was really terrible. Wrong orders were the standard.

Room Tip: Even one of the better rooms was pretty bad.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank harrodsfan
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for your review. I feel the title of your review is a little harsh as we have many happy returning customers. At present we have a training programme going forward for the service standards of all team members. Wrong orders are not standard and occasionally we may not get right, but we are listening to our feedback and working hard as a team to improve our service. A large proportion our guests give us great feedback on the friendliness and professional standards of our team. We have 132 rooms, some have sea view and some over look the railway station and the cricket and rugby ground. The tariff is reflected on the standard of room you book. We have many competitive offers for the winter months please ask on booking. It is a shame you struggled with the shower our porter or duty manager would have been happy to show you if you are having difficulty with any of our facilities during your stay.
I hope to welcome you back at some point and you will be able to see the changes we are making.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Well I'll try to be as positive as I can. Nice location and some of the trappings of a luxury hotel, but unfortunately a lot that is wrong and to be fair perhaps not realistically fixable. I think however that the Grands grandeur is long gone.

We stayed at the Grand for a weekend break (partner and toddler) and because I had a meeting with a professional colleague in the area. On arrival parking was on the street but not a major problem. The lobby of th hotel had a cheap pub/nightclub smell. The standard of our room fit out was average, blow average linen quality (pilled blanket under the bed cover etc) 2 rather soft single beds stuck together to form a double bed)

The hotel appeared a bit tatty throughout to be frank. Sash windows in the 1881 restaurant had been overpainted many time and obvioulsly didnt open, The sash windows in our room opened but would slide down unexpectedly (a safety issue when you have a toddler that will crawl over and put their hands oon the window sill)The corridors smelled musty at best at other times there was a bit of a smell of drains.

The swimming pool downstairs was really warm the first day and empty. It was very pleasant to relax in there (definitely one of the pluses of an otherwise disappointing stay)

Breakfast was mediocre at beast. The room service menu was actually ok.
On the second night they had some sort of function with a disco going on downstairs.
I did not appreciate my familys sleeep being disturbed by the noise and disco beat

If Id been paying £50- 70 a night I would have been happy

For £139.00 a night which is what I actually paid I feel ripped off

There must be something better on offer if you want a good standard of hotel.
Otherwise go for a budget hotel that is less likely to disappoint you in terms of value for money

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you want a high standard of stay. If you are determined to stay here be aware of...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tercio

Thank you for taking the time to write a review The Grand Hotel is situated in a lovely position on the seafront overlooking the beautiful expanse of Torbay. I admit we do require some TLC in places and I believe it is all realistically fixable with the team we now have in place at the hotel. The group is looking to invest significantly in the future development and upgrade of our rooms and facilities. We have already invested in new flat screen televisions for all rooms and we are at present in the process of removing all blankets from our beds and replacing them duvets.
When I first arrived at the Hotel I feel our entrance, compass lounge and 1881 restaurant exude grandeur and you feel you have arrived somewhere special. If I didn't feel that I would not have come here to work. We do have functions and weddings at the hotel and try to keep the disturbance down as much as possible. Where the disco takes place in the Devonshire we have no rooms above here and make sure any music is played at a level so everyone can enjoy the party and all our guests in the hotel enjoy their stay.
The breakfast service is changing from a hot buffet to table service from next week. We feel this will put more emphasis on the service to our guests and improve the standard of the breakfast we serve.
I am glad you enjoyed the swimming pool and leisure facilities at the hotel. We are hoping to invest further money in this facility in the future.
I do hope people will make their own choices and come and see us at the Grand Hotel and see the changes we are making. I am here to ensure your stay is as comfortable and relaxing as possible. If you have any problems or questions, I would be happy to talk to you whilst you are here and try and solve any issues. If I am not here you can ask for a duty manager who are more than happy to help you.

Kind Regards