“First (and probably last!) visit to Torquay!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Oxford, United Kingdom
“First (and probably last!) visit to Torquay!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My friend won a free night's stay at The Grand including dinner and breakfast and kindly asked me to accompany her. We live a fair distance away so decided to split the cost of a second night and make a weekend of it. Neither of us had been to Torquay before and found the area to be a typical British seaside resort which could do with some serious TLC. The town centre was very shabby and most of the local attractions were aimed at those with children. The view was beautiful though and the water surprisingly clean. First impressions of The Grand were good, compared to the myriad of other hotels and B&Bs in the area, The Grand is streets ahead based on it's exterior and location right on the bay. Once we got inside however, we realised that it is in major need of a full refurbishment, the décor is outdated and there are a lot of signs of wear and tear. Having said that, our room was reasonably clean, and met our basic requirements. The Compass Bar & Lounge served good food, wine and cocktails and had a pleasant view over the bay. The musical entertainment both nights of our stay was pretty grim but gave us some laughs. Breakfast wasn't great; soggy toast, gristly sausage and rubbery bacon however, the dinner we had on the first evening exceeded our expectations entirely. The fillet of Devon beef was by far the best steak I have had in years and the starter of potted seafood and dessert of blackberry and apple jelly was delicious too. Most of the staff we came into contact with were friendly and welcoming but the service was clunky and slow. The hotel was uncomfortably warm, both in the bedroom and the communal areas. The Grand's website does a good job of glossing over the reality of staying there. I would not have wanted to have paid for both nights as I do not feel our experience warranted the rate The Grand charge however, some customer service training for their staff and investment in the décor and facilities may change that.

Room Tip: We had a terrible view over some rooftops and the nearby train station. Paying a little extra to ge...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bookwormvjm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
plymouth,england
Reviewed February 9, 2013

What can i say this was suppose to be a romantic overnight stay with that someone special.i booked direct through their website and added extras like one does for a special evening. i received an email confirming my booking almost a week prior to arriving. upon arrival i went to reception to check in and also double check the room had what i'd asked for. check in fantastic,although took my debit card n charged everything there and then and confirmed no payment would be taken until i checked out. got to the room and guess what the extras where in the room except not the extras i ordered oh no this was half a dozen roses(although minus one) and a bottle of champange.....................all very nice and nice prices to. i did get the chance to slip away to reception where a lovely receptionist named amy dealt with me very promptly..she checked my original booking and confirmed i didn't not order them,so much to my relief they where deducted off my bill.Had a lovely evening food amazing and room service fast,spa bit disappointing floor of ladies changing room flooded in a few inches of water,i wasnt happy as my trousers got drenched and i had to walk back up to my room in this uncomfortable state.i did report, this although do not know if followed up. due to over indulging the night before gave breakfast a miss.I have stayed here on many occasions over the years and the breakfast was amazing never disappointed where in my room or dining room.Now to checkout where i was present with a bill way above what i had budgeted for. i did query it and low and behold the roses and champange had not been removed. However this was rectified straight away followed by an apology. Just like to thank the silver audi driver who parked next to my van in the hotel car park that only has a camera facing the exit for the lovely dent you put in the side door of the new van i have had only a week!!!!!!!!!!! Good job i believe in karma!. Right i arrived home went to the atm to check my balance to find the hotel had taken the original bill from my bank account! I am debating if this is theft? as i'm sure i did not give my permission to do this, as i paid in full in CASH upon checkout.I rang hotel and was told it will be back in my account in the next few days!!!!!!!! So THANKYOU grand hotel my direct debits are going to cost me even more as they now will not get paid, as you have stolen the money from my bank account!!!!!!! I don't know what has happend to this hote,l but it has now lost that appeal i once held dear for this beautiful hotel.So be warned it seems to becoming more like fawlty towers than the iconic establishment once cherished. My stay was 08/02/2013 and wish i hadn't.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank lisamafia40

Travelers are raving about these Torquay hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed here between christmas and new year. Reception very welcoming. The room was a family room, good size, clean with bunk beds for children. Bar area lovely to relax in and have a drink in the evening with entertainment, pianist and singer. Had a swim in the pool and dip in the Jacuzzi. Husband commented on changing rooms being dirty late afternoon, needed attention. Our first nights sleep was awoken at 6am by delivery trucks and staff whistling and chatting so was not happy. Spoke to reception, who said 'they had been told about this before'. So obviously a reoccurring problem with this room. But they were more then happy to change our room so we moved across the corridor. Sadly to say it was a blustery night and we were at the front and the sash windows kept banging, but luckily hubby to the rescue folded some cardboard and stopped windows banging :) Breakfast ok although a bit sort of reheated in heat trays and service slow. Would prefer fresh cooked. Overall ok as we didnt pay too much, but wouldnt rush back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sway
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend in Torquay. We chose to stay at the Grand because I am on the mailing list for the Richardson Hotel Group; having stayed at their Hotel in Fowey on three previous occasions. We stayed on their special DB&B of £99 per night - which is exceptionally good value for money.
We paid to upgrade to a sea view room, about another £25 per night which was well worth it. We had room 212 which is in one of the towers on the front of the building; although it didn't have a balcony - a quick check on the fire plan on the back of the door showed it was the largest room on that foolr - it was enormous; seperate hallway with a wardrobe, fridge and tea and coffee; large bedroom with a double bed, single bed and a table and chairs and an en-suite bathroom with a shower/bath.
The communal area's of the Hotel were beautifully decorated. We used the leisure facilities as well - small gym; but with everything you need, a pool and sauna.
The food was fantastic, the breakfast enormous and the drinks reasonably priced.
As we have found with all Richardson Hotel's all of the staff are increadibly helpfull, friendly and approachable - which is more than can be said for the Richardson's latest aquision - the Grosvenor, from the Channel 4 TV series where we just had to go for a drink!
The only reasons that this is not a five star rating is that there is limited car parking and some of the area's of the hotel could do with being freshened up a little.
Would I recommend the Grand and come back? Just try and stop me!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Arrived from the West Midlands late to Hotel with friend. Rang the doorbell and Victor Meldrew (Kevin )let us in. At Reception a another member of staff (Mark, nightporter I believe) gave us a lovely welcome to the hotel, how did we find it, thank you for choosing us and you are very welcome etc etc. He offered sandwiches and told us to relax in bar. Having left our luggage in our room, he was no where to be seen when we got to bar only Victor Meldrew who made us very uncomfortable because we wanted a drink and to order food, bar was empty so we returned to room hungry.
The rest of the stay was magic, wonderful food, attentive staff and beautiful hotel. Very good rates. Not for you if you want a late drink in the bar and Victor Meldrew is on, take note.

Room Tip: Sea view 1st floor. Magic
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a wonderful ideally located on over looking the sea, great views. Once inside the hotel the staff and overall ambience of the hotel was relaxed, nothing was too much trouble
We were checked into a family room, well presented, clean and tidy with views albeit side views of the sea.
Later in the evening we had plans to walk round Torquay and eat out, however when reception checked if the room was ok we were offered a reduction to eat in one of there restaurants which we felt was a lovely gesture and gratefully appreciated.
After a couple of beers we went to the Bistro, food excellent along with a lady singer who entertained through out the evening.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went to The Grand for lunch only but the general impression was excellent with an ambience of style, calmness and efficiency.
Staff were attentive, the food was excellent and the cost, for more than a snack, was reasonable at £30 for 2.
The hotel has an interesting policy on tariffs; there is no printed tariff and the cost is decided on a daily basis no doubt on occupancy.
I would think that it might be possible to bargain for a quote but I think the hotel has a deserved reputation and offers good value.

• Stayed January 2013