“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #25 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Torquay
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Went with my family to the Imperial Hotel Torquay. We were given a free upgrade when we booked, and the whole experience was fantastic. Our room's were delightful, clean and spacious, our evening meal was well presented and very delicious, and out breakfast next morning was excellent. The choice was good, and even the breakfast plates were nice and hot. Couldn't fault anything

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Jayne M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I recently booked a spa day which was an offer through Groupon. We didn't expect to feel more stressed at the end of the day than at the beginning. It started with booking into the Spa and a Spa menu being pushed at us to ask us to choose our lunch. The choice was very limited and When I questioned that the offered stated we could have up to £12.50 for lunch (the lunch choice was £6.95) we ended up paying for extra for coffees and a bowl of chips to share. The menu in the bar had much more choice on it.. So i questioned this with the Bar manager where the food was served, she told me she couldn't read my confirmation email as she hadn't got her glasses, I suggested she got them and she said they were at home!! And told me thats what it is, as she had been there 2.5yrs! I gave up at this point as i was meant to be relaxing. As we pre ordered lunch at 11am and we ate at 2pm our sandwiches had been pre made are the bread was stale.. Before this we used the spa which was being painted at the time. Half of the very small pool was used for under 5yr swimming lessons! Plus our treatments were meant to be 30 mimutes long. When we had our massage, we were left in the treatment room for 10minutes and had a 15minute massage when we came out at 1.25pm we were told they could not do our nails until 4pm (which ended up as 4.40pm) as the people before were complaining that theirs was not done properly. By this time there were loads of small children after school swimming lessons. It's a shame as I am local and I will not be recommending this Spa or Hotel to anyone. Lesson learnt you get what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank KarenB873
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Imperial to celebrate her 30th birthday, for what should have been a relaying spa break. Whilst I can not fault the location of the hotel, everything else was awful. From the duty manager who almost delighted in explaining that it was our fault for not booking the spa in advance when we arrived to find out there were appointments available. This disappointment was quickly followed by the bar man who left 4 people waiting as he was so determined to take his break, i particualry enjoyed his someone should be with you shortly, but you might have to wait a bit, exit comment. I could go on and on, but to cut it short: this hotel was once great, now it trades on a great location and that is it. If you are headed to Torquay stay somewhere else but take a trip up to the terrace bar at the Imperial for great views on a sunny day, just make sure your glass does not have black mold on like some of ours did!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark N
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I had booked five nights. We prepaid. If we had not, I would have cancelled after
reading the review "Customer service absolutely dreadful" Fortunately we, of course, went and I'm very glad we did!
First, our credentials. My wife and I have stopped in all types of hotel from motel to five star in much of the world. I know what I am talking about. So, to go through it. from check in.
We had to wait a few minutes but is there a hotel in the world that won't keep you waiting if the people checking in exceed the receptionists? We were offered help with our bags but don't really need help with the modern suitcases.

On the downside: We were told that you had to pre-book a table in the dining room, even though it is open several hours. I don't like committing us to a fixed time in a four star hotel but I can understand it with coach parties (whom you don't see) coming in, etc. However, we were told we could only eat at 6.15 or 8.30 on this, our first night. I really did not like that, so when booking, SPECIFY A TIME FOR YOUR FIRST EVENING, at least.
The dining room was nearly empty at 6.15 and on each evening was never more than about a third full. I can understand that they want to space out the diners but it would have been very easy to fit us in on the first night.
Next, the room. Very good indeed. We had a superior room This has the gorgeous views overlooking Torbay. When the sun is out, this view would be hard to beat anywhere. The room was spacious, with a full width picture window with door opening to the large balcony, with two loungers, two chairs and a small table. Bath robes and slippers were provided. The room was spotless and remained so throughout our stay. We had our duvet changed to a sheet and blanket. There were two comfortable chairs, a table and dressing table. The pillows were very comfortable. The bed was pretty comfortable, although I've had better. (Premier Inns for example!) The bathroom was modern and toiletries provided. There were free bottles of water, replaced as necessary every day and tea making facilities. No down side except the dreadful door handles. Who could design and who could buy such things. But this is really being picky. It was a really lovely room.
Nest, to dinner. The dining room is lovely,.with beautiful views over the bay. You check in. probably with the head waiter (he wore a suit).who has not been to a charm school. You probably won't see him again but all the young serving staff were smiling and pleasant and as efficient as necessary when putting a plate in front of you. They quickly served water. The tap water is fine here.
The actual dinners were quite good and the chef is trying but it is not a meal we eagerly looked forward to. Obviously the chef is restricted by cost. There is an a la carte menu with a cost supplement to choose from, should you so wish .On the table d'hote menu there is a starter choice of four including a soup and a vegetarian.. The main menu also comprises four courses, including a vegetarian. There always seems to be a braised (or similar) meat course plus another, perhaps of pork. There is one fish course. The salmon was quite large but the other fillets (Whiting, for example) could do with another half inch or so. See sample photos. The sweets are quite good. (Whiting and Pollack are served in some of the best restaurants nowadays, it being conveniently forgotten that these were once only regarded as cat food. We were even served a Dab in a Loch Fine restaurant, earlier this year, but we won't be going back there!) Anyway, the Whiting was fine.
IMPORTANT TIP. If you want wine, tell the waiter and order before choosing the food. If not, the first courses will be served and possibly finished before the wine arrives. Obviously the first courses are ready prepared and can be served very quickly and were.
Room Service: A five pound charge is made which is not unusual. In addition, I always tip a room service waiter but obviously that is up to you. We like breakfast in our room and the scrambled eggs and bacon etc. were really very good.
Checking out. We had, of course, prepaid but we also had to pay for the room service, wine and car parking (£7 per night - no option. There is nowhere else to park). I could not understand the bill and there were two credit card slips to complete. I asked three times but could not understand (I am not deaf) and eventually just paid anyway, since the total was about what it should have been. (I still can't understand it!)
TIP: By coincidence, my son and his wife went to another hotel of the same group. They were told that they had not booked an inclusive break with dinner. However, they had the hotel's confirmation with them. So be sure to take yours!
That's it. A very enjoyable time, really made by the room and view. Can't help writing that I think I could triple their bar takings within a few weeks but this would entail hiring a pianist and modernising the dingy lounge, which looks the same as when we were last here many years ago. Perhaps they don't want to spend the money and who can blame them. The running costs must be enormous. And they know more than I do!
Super pluses: Indoor and outdoor pools, squash and tennis courts, leisure centre. We did not use or inspect these but could not ask for more facilities.

Room Tip: Go for the Superior. The hotel is high and any floor should be fine.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Donald T
Torquay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Although we only stayed for one night we were thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room if a bit dated was clean and comfortable. Dinner was excellent as was the service provided. Breakfast was delicious with a wide variety of options. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Chris B
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was so looking forward to my 4 day stay when my boss told me that I was booked into here. The check in was busy and they couldn't find my reservation. Luckily my boss had sent me the booking reference. My room was clean and tidy and the views were fantastic.
However I felt the food was a big let down. There was no hot food after 10pm with just sandwiches an option and I had to walk into town to find something.
Breakfast had a good selection and service was good
The food served at lunch was inedible with burnt potatoes and again I walked into town to find something. Not what I expect from a hotel of this calibre

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Diane S
Fareham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Have used The Hotel Collection before, when it was Puma Hotels at the Hinchley Island Hotel.
Food in the restaurant was fine, pricey for the amount given on plate. Had a meal in the hotel for the first night, and have to say the quality was great, but the amount you get was small, even for a fillet of steak with homemade/ cooked chips, for £24, you only got a small plates worth. Suggest using different locations for food, as there are plenty of cafes, bars and other restaurants close by, even a Harvester, but it was closed for renovation.
Staff where friendly and willing to help, but the girl on check in, when I asked where the nearest cash point was didn't know where it was.
Top floor window only open a couple inches and room heats up fast.
On the Friday and Saturday nights they had large and loud parties going on, with no warning to guests they were happening, making it hard to sleep, as the noise traveled outside. Room was a good size, with a nice proper bath. Location near the quay was great, but view from the window was over the car park, try and get a sea view if you can.
Luckily decided to travel by train to Torquay, after looking at the prices to park at the hotel, which was about £7 a day, on top of your room booking, which is very cheeky.
Just beware the hotel is on a hill, but get great exercise from the walking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo