The Imperial Torquay
  • Bar/Lounge
$81
PremierInn.com
3,327 results
All reviewssea viewper nightcar parksun loungerslovely hotellarge balconydeluxe roomsteam roomoutdoor poolan upgradeleisure facilitiesdining roomsome tlcpublic roomslick of paintevening mealshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Another one of Puma Hotels that is living off its reputation and not living up to standards. Started badly with breakfast arriving in my room an hour and a half early (I had ordered it for 8.30am so was fast asleep when delivered at 7.00am) without so much as an apology for waking me. It was then delivered incorrectly to my daughter's room at 8.30am - who was not best pleased as she was there for a much needed lie in. Staff were not great in general and spoke minimal English. We found the restaurant very second rate. There was a wedding on while we were there which took up most of the verandah and bar and was very noisy for guests. Though the hotel has a wonderful position it's general decor is tired. Second Puma Hotel visited which seems to be living off a good reputation but sadly doesn't live up to the luxurious standards advertised.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A one-night spa break. Arrived before the 2 p.m. check-in time so my wife could have her massage and beauty treatment. Very helpful receptionist who offered to look after our luggage. After walking down to the spa/fitness suite with my wife I retired to the bar area. Good service; £3.90 for a pint.

I sat and read some of the one-star reviews on this web site and wondered if I'd made a mistake in booking the one-night break.

At 2, we went to check in, but the room wasn't quite ready; complimentary drinks in the bar were immediately offered (and accepted). A short time later the receptionist came and found us in the bar area with our room key and booked us in for the evening meal in the restaurant.

The room was lovely (228) with beautiful views from the balcony over Torbay. No peeling wallpaper or grubby furniture and fittings; my wife thought the room was great.

We had late lunch in the bar area (£30 with drinks) and sat and looked at the views. The three-course evening meal was super and the staff were friendly and efficient. I'd read comments about the chairs and wondered what I was going to see? ... normal, comfortable chairs is the answer!

The buffet breakfast was excellent and the check-out smooth.

Overall we really had a great time. I don't doubt the validity of the negative comments made about the hotel; we rarely stay in hotels and maybe the regular four and five star reviewer would have rated our break differently, but based on our experience I'd recommend the hotel without reservation (ha!).

Room Tip: Rooms nearest the harbour may be quieter ... the function rooms are at the other end of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank b3344
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I loved this hotel but probably because we had an upgraded room with it's own balcony and it was so spacious. Staff were great but be careful about the extras. The bed was great. Very clean. The restaurant was good too.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade as rooms vary enormously.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the Imperial in August for 3 nights. Location superb, rooms good very clean a little dated but that goes with the age of the hotel. Facilities excellent, breakfast brilliant everything you could ask for with good service. We visited the bar every evening and although busy with a wedding reception on the Friday the young girl behind the bar couldn't help us enough. So a big thank you to Kia the young girl behind the bar that made our weekend memorable. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel is in a great position directly on the sea and within minutes walking distance of Torquay. Booked a last minute B&B deal at a very competitive price. The room was of very good standard and extremely comfortable. Gardens are very nice with lovely views across the bay. Didn't use the leisure facilities. The hotel is extremely spacious with large public rooms and high ceilings. There was a charge for parking but this wasn't asked for on departure. Breakfast served in a nice room with and a view and was good although the service was very poor. On both days asked for poached eggs and they didn't arrive.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends