“Fantastic views and location, but very tired fittings and furnishings”

The Imperial Torquay
Ranked #23 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Myself, my partner and our two children stayed for a weekend break in June 2012. We booked a suite - which had stunning views across Torbay but the room was very tired looking and in desperate need of modernisation.
The staff was very friendly and welcoming.
The restuarant was over-priced, as you expect in hotels but the food standard wasn't particularly great either - very greasy and not very well presented.
The location of the hotel is great, just a short walk to the marina and town centre.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Imperial, I'm sorry that you did not enjoy every aspect of your stay. We have over the last three years invested over two million pounds at the Imperial and this investment will continue. Any future investment will be sympathetic to the values of the Victorian era that we were build. I really would hate in a world that is desperate to modernise our heritage that this great hotel built in 1866 would become the same as all the others.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I think 15 years of choosing hotels has finally paid off. We had a great stay, but I can totally see how it could have been rubbish. Here is how we won
1. Choose a deluxe room (never standard) - in a tired hotel, 'standard' is code for 'not refurbished'
2. Look for special offers - We found 50% off the room
3. Buy what the hotel does best (in this case - sea view)
4. If its a busy night (2 weddings on our night) have a room service breakfast - every thing you want for an extra £5
5. Put your do no disturb sign on, otherwise housekeeping come at some ungodly hour
6. If you are next to a lift or main door, change your room immediately

We did all of these and had a top stay

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mlillywh
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Imperial. It was most informative and has given us a great in site into area's we can improve. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in June. We were really happy with our room, it had an excellent view from the balcony, the room was large and clean. We had only paid £69 a night on Expedia so we felt it was definitely value for money. It was a short walk into Torquay and easy to pick up coastal walks from the hotel. The breakfast had loads of choice but I would have to say that the coffee was not good. We walked into Torquay to get a proper coffee every day!! I would also have to add that we used the pool and gym and they weren't of a good standard. I would be most upset if I'd booked a spa getaway as it didn't feel relaxing, the changing rooms looked messy and the pool was looking tired. We didn't eat in the hotel (apart from breakfast) as there were so many choices near by (The Elephant and Orange Tree), In conclusion I feel the hotel was great value for money and would stay again.

Room Tip: We asked for a sea facing room when we booked.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fryn
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for your review, we are really happy that in the main you enjoyed your stay. We are currently awaiting some additional coffee machines for our breakfast offering that will make available speciality coffees on a bean to cup basis for those that prefer fresh ground coffee. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy our leisure club, we do have the additional facility of a heated out door pool that over looks the Bay which weather permitting is open from May through to October.

Again thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I cannot stress this enough save your money and stay well away from this hotel. The only thing that is appealing about this hotel are the pictures on the web site, in reality the whole place is in need of a total refurb. This looks like once ( my estimations about 30 years ago ) it used to be a lovely hotel but now it's dirty, shabby, if the hotel won't replace the torn carpets then at least clean them. The chairs in the restraunt torn and dirty and the staff apart from them picking their nose and wiping it on the seats I think they need to be retrained in cleanliness , especially the management rather than have a go at your customers, try and use a little bit of that energy to write an email to the owners stressing that it needs shutting down because in the end their wont be any customers left that would want to go and stay in such conditions.
So please give it a total refurb because I would pay double to stay in a lovely hotel rather than stay somewhere as disgusting as your hotel. This hotel should be a 2 star

Room Tip: Let's face it there are no good rooms at this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank trek-2010
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I'm truly sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Had a fantastic experience last July at the imp, I must have stayed at this hotel 30 times + and can honestly say we had a lovely time. Food, service and the suite we had was fantastic!!! I've been going to the imperial since I was a baby and although the place is not as grand as it was it really is hard to beat. Fantastic breakfast.... I just love the place

• Stayed: July 2011
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. It’s really important that there is a balanced perspective on all review sites and your review has given the team such a lift. We will continue to invest and strive to improve. Comments such as yours make it really worthwhile.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I spent 3 nights at this hotel while on business attending an exhibition in Paignton and I was bowled over by my stay from start to finish.

On my arrival, Sam, on reception was helpful and chatty and my warm welcome was made even better by a complimentary upgrade to a suite. And what a suite! Double aspect windows overlooking the sea in the sitting room and patio doors overlooking the sea and outdoor pool from the bedroom. The rooms were immaculate and the bed was enormous! The complimentary dressing gown was soft, white & fluffy - perfect.

This trip was a solo one, and so it was fabulous to be able to eat of an evening in the sitting room overlooking the sea, without feeling like the 'odd one out' in the restaurant.

The bar area is relaxing and again the verandah overlooks the sea. The bar staff are polite and courteous and if it is a little pricey, so what? It is worth it.

The sauna, steam room etc does the job, the indoor pool is not large but was good enough for me.There is an outside pool from the end of June.

The outisde of this hotel is nothing ike the splendid interior, so please do not let that put you off. It is grand and stylish inside and is warm and very friendly.

I'll be back next year definately!

Room Tip: Top floor, overlooking the sea - perfect!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank janeyk70
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you so much for you wonderful review, the team were over the moon. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we are currently working on a plan to refurbish the exterior of the building which I feel will address the point you raised.

Again thank you so much for your review

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Went to the hotel for a spa day with my daughter, it was so tatty and shabby. The pool is very small, the sauna is very dated and the hot tub felt grubby. The changing rooms were very tatty and seemed unclean. Staff reasonably friendly. Had a fantastic body wrap detox.
We had a unsatisfactory day and were given complimentary back massages to compensate, so we returned to use the gym which is small hot and dated but adequate and have our massages. The staff were indifferent. The massage therapist was running late , didn't apologise and then the massage was only about 20 minutes long not half an hour. The therapist was tired overworked ,as she said , and dissatisfied , which did not make for a relaxing experience. If I had paid I would have asked for a refund. I have stayed in the hotel in the past which is lovely, especially sea view room, but the gym and health facilities truly let this lovely hotel down.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sah49
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your Spa day. I'm sorry that the facilities did not meet your expectations, more so that we failed on our second attempt. I have asked our leisure club Manager to review your comments with his team as the feed back is generally positive from our guests. The leisure club is complimented by a heated out side pool which does relieve pressure at busy times I'm sorry if this was not your experience.

Thank you for taking the time to review, it’s only through this type of feed back that we can improve.