“One of the Best”

Chandlers Chippy
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have been to Torquay twice in the last two months, the first time we had take away and very pleased with both the fish and the chips, really delicious. We visited again last week and decided to have our lunch at Chandlers. Once again, delicious food, everywhere lovely and clean and a lovely smile and service from Mandy. Definitely see you again Mandy. Thanks.

2  Thank COLCLOUGH187048

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The fish was freshly cooked - hot and tasty. There was a wait for this, but it was worth it. Service with a smile.

2  Thank AndrewandGill
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Good location, clean premises, friendly staff, good value portions, chips nice n crispy, fish batter slightly under cooked so soggy, jus needed a tad longer in fryer or slightly hotter oil. But nice safe chippy.

1  Thank drunkennosh
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I visited Torquay for the weekend with my wife and step daughters. After a boat trip, we asked the boat staff as to a decent chippy. We were recommended "Chandlers". When we arrived there, we were greeted by 2 very polite young men who were taking the orders. Although the decor is a little basic and dated, we found our meals were more than adequate and plentiful. Three of us had the cod and were more than happy with it. The batter was not too soft but also not too crispy. The chips were nice and crispy on the outside with a soft fluffy centre. There seemed to be a good take away business. I am surprised with some of the previous comments as we all agreed it was a pleasant experience

1  Thank alfrescobubbles
Reviewed August 23, 2012

To our lasting regret and bitter disappointment, my partner and I had made the same grave mistake as some other reviewers on here, and that is to assume that a Fish and Chip meal bought by a harbor, of all places, would be delicious. It turns out however that what we bought and eventually consumed from this place was barely even edible, at least this is how we are left feeling after the, for want of a better term, food experience. I asked for the fish (cod in my case) to be lightly battered, it wasn’t. Their approach was to alternatively batter it to within an inch of its existence and then dump a large remnant of batter at both ends of it, presumably in an attempt to make the already small fish appear larger than it actually was. The fish itself was bland and had a very strange and most unpleasant after-taste to it. The batter was greasy and oily, and not in a good way. I would say this is typical of an establishment that has little or no interest in customer service and/or satisfaction, probably only in it for the money, and simply cannot be bothered to make the effort.
In all sincerity, my hope is that the proprietors of Chandler’s Chippy take the following as a positive constructive suggestion: Please take a trip to The Shilton Arms, Church Road, Shilton, CV7 9HX and discover for yourselves how excellently the simple dish of Fish and Chips is able to be cooked and presented – if you can be bothered of course.