“Great food beautifully cooked”
Review of Peppercorn - CLOSED

Peppercorn
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Buntingford, United Kingdom
“Great food beautifully cooked”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

At the beginning of July 2013, my wife and I stayed for a week in Babbacombe at the Headland View guest house (see separate review). For eating out in the evening, we tried the Babbacombe Inn (OK) and the Buccaneer pub (better) before finding the Peppercorn Restaurant. It is a small restaurant catering for up to 24 people and has a good choice on the menu, particularly if you like fish. We ate twice at Peppercorn and were extremely pleased with our meals both times.

On the first occasion we both chose venison, with different sauces, and the meat was beautifully cooked. On the last night of our holiday, we returned to Peppercorn and my wife again had venison while I chose sea bass from the 'Specials' board. Again, both meals were beautifully cooked.

Becky was a very attentive host who was very keen to make sure that our every need was catered for. Ken, who is the chef, came out to speak to us on the second occasion and was very friendly too.

The Peppercorn used to be called La Provence but Ken and Becky renamed it at the end of last year because some people expected it to be a French restaurant, which it isn't.

If we stay in Babbacombe in the future, my wife and I would certainly visit Peppercorn again and recommend it to anyone who likes quality food at a reasonable price.

• Visited July 2013

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Perfect Peppercorn”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Peppercorn is an intimate restaurant, with perfectly cooked delicious food, good wine & a relaxed friendly atmosphere. Well priced with several options. My husband & I had a super dinner with excellent service. We highly recommend you go and have a wonderful evening yourselves. (Not far from Torquay Marina, simply straight up Torwood Street from the clock tower towards Babbacombe, or even better a quick taxi ride) and 80 meters from Babbacombe Downs where you can have a romantic stroll before or after dinner.Enjoy.....

• Visited June 2013
Daventry, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Behind the modest exterior lies a very special eatery as we found at the end of a weekend break in Babbacombe. The food was just superb. I had the fillets of sea bass in a delicious creamy sauce and my husband had the venison and both were served with vegetables and potatoes cooked to perfection. The portions were generous but we polished off the lot between us. Dessert was a huge portion of melt in the mouth pavlova. Very indulgent but not a crumb was left. Becky served us and was friendly & efficient. Her husband, Ken, who is the chef, came out to chat to us and the whole experience was enjoyable but don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

Visited June 2013
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Great little restaurant.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We received fabulous food and fabulous, friendly service. Good value for money. Highly recommended. Specialises in fresh fish.

• Visited June 2013
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed in Babbacombe for 5 nights and liked the restaurant so much we went back twice and on both occasions we had a lovely meal and very good service.
The food was all made fresh on site even the bread.
We had a lovely time and were made to feel very welcome. Definitely recommend this restaurant

Visited June 2013