“Good Food - Pleasant Bistro with a French Flavour”
Review of Peppercorn - CLOSED

Peppercorn
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I pre-booked here before staying in Torquay for a weekend so as not to hunt around at the last minute. We found the owners pleasant, the food was very good and pretty much good French restaurant standard. We were certainly satisfied with all aspects of the meal. The wine list was what one would expect given the taste in the UK for wines from around the world.

I had scollops which were cooked perfectly, and Fillet with a cheese topping, which was a good cut of meat. All the accompanying veg was nicely presented and very tasty.

We would return to this restaurant if we came to Torquay again. It was one of the brighter moments over a rainy weekend in Torquay.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Chef/proprietor Ken learnt his trade in Provence before anyone had heard of nouvelle cuisine and it shows: lashings of butter, cream, flavour and generous helpings; the fish is especially recommended. Yes, it's small and a bit quirky and in an unfashionable corner of town but Ken and Becky are friendly, the aim is the unpretentious one of serving well-cooked, tasty food and I really don't understand the previous, deeply ungenerous review. We've eaten there twice, last year and this week, on visits to Torquay and I look forward happily to the next time.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I cannot believe the other positive reviews of this "restaurant" I have to assume that it has been taken over by someone else since 2010.
It is the ugliest, dingiest place with amazingly bad taste for decor. It is a very bad 70's run down place. The carpet is dark with a mat as you walk in. The view is over a laundarette. There are worn out cork place mates and cheap worn out cutlery. The paintings are laughable. It is like sitting in an old aunt's front room. There is no atmosphere and the service was appalling. The woman did not speak english well enough to be understood and when I asked what the sweets were, she told me to look at the board, which would have meant going and standing over someone else eating a meal.
The food was average, I am not a good cook but could have managed this without too much effort. There ia a lot of fish and no clear explanations about the menu when requested.
The toliet door is on a thin latchg and does not close properly. There is worn wood chip wallpaper and the oddest most depressing colours together.
My husband and I had hoped for a cosy French meal but there is no evidence of anything French in the restaurant. We should have left at the outset.
It is also not cheap in the evenings and not good value. I felt it was a complete waste of an evening. You would be better off in the chip shop further down the road.
I assume they hope that their chief trade is holiday makers who they don't have to impress in any way, as they won't be back. We are locals and certainly won't be going back.
USELESS and TASTELESS.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Visiting family for the weekend we again had a superb meal at La Provence. Attention to detail and presentation of the meal is always first class as is the quality of the food and although we are only able to visit once a year Becky & Ken remember us and treat us as though we are one of their regular customers. Can't wait for next visit !!!!

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Spotted the sign driving past and decided to give this restaurant a try. Having travelled widely through France, we know what to expect and were not disappointed. Spoiled for choice with the menu but all our courses were excellent. Dauphinois potato to die for!. Very reasonably priced for delicious, well-thought out and well-cooked food. Please give La Provence a try.