“Disappointing food, very poor service”
Review of Cary Arms

Cary Arms
Ranked #71 of 359 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open for lunch and dinner, the Cary Arms is a 5 star inn with luxury accommodation and exceptional panoramic sea-views. Choose from dining outdoors on sunnier days or a cosy table in the inn by the fireside. The Conservatory is perfect for larger parties and can be booked for exclusive use subject to availability. Reservations for dining are always recommended if you are not staying. Lunch is served from 12 noon to 3pm and dinner from 6.30pm to 9pm. If you haven't reserved in advance, we will always try to find you a table but we can't guarantee it. Relaxed and friendly, the lunch menus include a choice of soup and lighter snacks as well as sandwiches. In the evening, dining is more formal and the location very romantic. Menus include classic gastro-inn dishes featuring the best of fresh, seasonal, locally produced ingredients including excellent fish. Great wine list and a choice of local ales. Well-behaved children and dogs welcome. An adjacent car park offers pay-and display parking.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We regularly go here for birthdays and treats. We spend a lot of money and until today have always thought it was worth it. The service today was awful - we cleared our own table after the main course, which the staff saw but didn't apologise for. It took two and a half hours to get our sweets!!! And the food was below par - soup very average, ham terraine boring, scallops dull too, duck very dull, cheese board was so tiny - I could go on. The pork loin was good but we spent nearly £300 and were not made to feel special at all. A response would be good. As for Michelin recommended someone is having a laugh .

2  Thank Anniemop
Matt C, General Manager at Cary Arms, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear ‘Anniemop’

Thank you for your review. On behalf of Lana de Savary please accept our apologies for the disappointment received on your most recent visit to our Inn.

As I’m sure you will know this is not our normal high level of food or service as can be read in our most recent reviews. I have shared your comments with my service team who are all equally disappointed, we will all continue to work hard to develop all aspects of our dining experience, to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable lunch or dinner with us.

If you would like to discuss the matter further I have sent you my contact details. When you are next planning on coming back to the area please contact me direct to see if I can help with overnight accommodation and apologise in person.

Many thanks

Matt Collins

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great Location to while the time away looking out to see with a bar snack,beware it does get busy and a tad over priced for the food and portion control has gone mad.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Group of 11 at lunchtime. Great choice of snacks & lunchtime meals. Sat on the terrace in the blistering heat with a fantastic view. As a finale a seal appeared to entertain us at the end of the meal. Crab sandwiches are great, £9.95 but served with salad & fries garnish & stuffed full of delicious crab. Selection of mains included delicious chunky fish and chips. The gourmet burger is also very good (this is a proper homemade burger, not a bought in version!)
Friendly & professional service in a great location.
Who could hope for more?
Well, it is a bit of a drive down the hill & car parking is restricted but well worth the effort

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having had a pleasurable lunch recently as a guest , I thought that I would return and dine a special client at this most delightful location.

Following our experience on a Tuesday evening in mid-July it seems that it is necessary to check at the time of booking if the General Manager will be on the premises as without him in situ the dining affair turns into a near two hour “conversational expedition” (with your guests) rarely interrupted by the presence of a team member.

I consider that the execution of the meal service was akin to “Bambi on ice” – there was little co-ordination of client/table to food or service contact; just recall that poor creature struggling, legs in each and every direction trying to gain traction. As table guests we were getting exasperated too!

Some 30+ minute gap between starter being consumed and main and another 30+ minute gap for the dessert menu to arrive (although I did send an email from the table to the “enquires@” to elicit some form of service contact for the dessert menu). Yes, I could have gone to the bar and made demands, but that would taint my advice that this fine establishment should only be visited for one course surrounded by a long drink and some-one who you wish to get to know better as the staff will not interrupt your flow or the business pitch of your guest.

If you wish to impress your guest, lover or friend this is definitely not the place to be; however should you wish to conduct an interrogation, protracted conversation, ney monologue or just labour a point without interruption to a loved one or colleague – this is the perfect place as the Chef and table staff will (because they know no different) collude in your mission.

In short – be there for the location and not for the experience of being there!

I expected much better. But now you know!

2  Thank stephen b
Matt C, General Manager at Cary Arms, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear ‘stephenb’

Thank you for your review. In the very first instance please accept my apologies for the surly service. We have a young team of local people here at Cary Arms and meet daily to review challenges and opportunities.

I have today debriefed the Managers on duty and all my Food & Drink Team to discuss service procedures with them to ensure no repetition and introduce some amendments to improve the experience for all our guests.

Please contact me directly on your next visit I so I can personally welcome you back.

Many thanks

Matt Collins

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Such a beautiful location so worth visiting but...3 scallops £9.50 Liquid cheesecake £5.95 Cold steak. Maybe lunch is better value?