“Brilliant Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gemelli Restaurant & Delicatessen

Gemelli Restaurant & Delicatessen
Ranked #11 of 332 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Gemelli is a family run little restaurant where the food is prepared 'the traditional way' and accompanied with carefully selected wines. At Gemelli we will try to establish a friendly atmosphere with a relaxed yet attentive service "Bistro style" for you to enjoy and see you back again and again...
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Gemelli is a brilliant restaurant in Torquay. The food is so fresh and lovely that it is well worth the trip just to go there again.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank stevenbarb21

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, lovely people.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We ate here with extended family at the weekend. The food was delicious, and good value. The service was excellent, both the chef and his wife were attentive and we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Thankyou.

4 Thank 123madhatter
Harbury
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

The family visited this restaurant for a birthday dinner and found it quite delightful. We were welcomed by the owners and with a friendly greeting, not over fussy but just enough to put us all at ease. Being a party of ten of mixed ages is not always easy to cater for but we were well looked after with both food and service. The youngest children being given colouring sets to amuse them during the long evening. The owners are a young family and have a first class restaurant for family occasions. our best wishes for their continued success!

1 Thank David W
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Nice Bistro-Style Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I've been meaning to try Gemelli's for over a year now and the perfect opportunity came up on Monday. I had an international company undertaking some work on Monday and Tuesday and needed to find a restaurant for the Monday evening. Normally my safe bets for business dinners in Torquay include The Elephant, No 7, The Old Vienna and The Orange Tree. Being a Monday night none of those were an option so it was the perfect opportunity to try Gemelli's.

My Five guests and I arrived and were welcomed by a friendly waitress into the cosy bosom of the restaurant. It was a cold night and the wood burning fire created a lovely cosy feeling. We ordered our meals and drinks and bread followed while we waited for our starters. There was a small hitch as a few of the ordered starters could not be fulfilled and alternatives were subsequently ordered. Everyone in our group enjoyed their meals. My Goat's cheese on a crostone starter was really lovely, and spaghetti carbonara main was freshly made (not always a given in Italian restaurants unbelievably) and delicious.
As the owner/chef has fed back on TA himself, this is not a fine dining operation. As a bistro it nails it. The portions are generous (no one felt able to partake of desserts which I still regret because they sounded top-notch) and the food is very good. Service is friendly and it's always a nice touch when Chef appears at the end of the evening to check everything was okay with our meal.

I will definitely add this to my preference list of restaurants for business and family/friends!

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Simply brilliant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

On the coldest, wettest night of the year so far my partner and I decided to finally try Gemelli after walking past it on a number of occasions and remarking how nice it looked from the outside. After getting soaked and frozen in the 4-minute walk from our house, it was very encouraging to find the warm welcome that greeted our entry into the restaurant.
A lovely, cosy place, sweet without being twee, the inside of Gemelli would be warm and comfortable enough even without the extra personal heater that had been placed by our table! Thanking the two proprietors for this most welcome gesture, we sat down and began to peruse the menu, a lovely glass of red and some delicious sunblush tomatoes further warming us back up to something approaching human.
Looking through the menu I was pleased to find a number of choices leaping out at me from every sub-section but I couldn’t resist the asparagus wrapped in parma ham, served with bel paese cheese, hollandaise sauce and a poached egg. We both decided on this starter and, along with a basket of beautiful warm, crusty bread, we were delighted with our choice. The creamy sauce and cheese, the salty ham and the perfectly cooked asparagus, all delicious and using the bread to mop up the sauce and egg yolk was divine.

For the main, I decided on a fillet steak in a gorgonzola sauce, my partner went for lamb chops with creamed potato in a red wine sauce. Both dishes were amazing, we tasted a little of each other’s dish and I couldn’t fault either. The size of my fillet alone astounded me considering the reasonable price tag attached but considering how thick it was it was nonetheless cooked exactly as I like it, and the lamb also had just the right amount of pink inside. The chef came out to check our meat was cooked to our liking, which was a very nice touch. The accompanying vegetables with main dishes, usually an afterthought in some restaurants, often sad, damp little things that have been sat in water, a lot of which tends to come out to the table with them. Not so in Gemelli- red cabbage that was creamy with just a hint of sweetness, crispy little roast potatoes, broccoli (always a favourite with me) and the tastiest carrots I have ever enjoyed. The love that went into every part of our main courses really showed and elevated the dishes over similar fare in other eateries.
After the mains we almost always decline a dessert due to fullness but on this occasion we were given enough time, and space, to let our mains settle so we did order a couple of lovely, light desserts, one off the menu, which was another great touch.

At the end of our meal we purchased a few choice items from the in store Italian delicatessen and chatted with the friendly couple that run Gemelli. The chef was happy to let me in on a few of his techniques and the way we were wished well as we exited matched the way we were treated throughout the whole evening; warm, friendly, relaxed but with a high standard of professionalism, a balance that is not always easy to maintain.
It was unfortunate that the restaurant wasn’t deservedly heaving but, on that freezing, miserable January evening I couldn’t blame other punters for staying home and we very much appreciated the welcome and treatment we received in this fantastic little gem.
Gemelli boasts a five-star local council rating for cleanliness, a good location, not too far from the town if you want to go out after your meal but far enough out of the centre to be fairly peaceful while you dine, plus friendly, approachable staff who I have no doubt will be happy to answer any questions you may have about special dietary requirements, etc.

With my birthday just around the corner we have already made plans to return to Gemelli and I can’t wait! You should be able to tell how impressed I am by the effusive (and lengthy!) nature of this review.
My new favourite restaurant in Torquay? It just might be...