“Chef's night off?”

Gemelli Restaurant & Delicatessen
Ranked #16 of 343 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Gemelli is a family run little restaurant where the food is prepared 'the traditional way' and accompanied with carefully selected wines. At Gemelli we will try to establish a friendly atmosphere with a relaxed yet attentive service "Bistro style" for you to enjoy and see you back again and again...
Addlestone
“Chef's night off?”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

On the basis of these reviews we booked for their New Year's Eve £34 "six course menu"; and what a disappointment.... quarters of slightly toasted sliced processed bread topped with prawn cocktail etc are not my idea of canapes! Main dishes were poorly presented and of average quality; could certainly have done better myself and I'm not a trained cook. On this one experience I would say this place is seriously over-rated by tripadvisor, and tried to make a "quick buck" on this festive occasion. What a shame - our hostess/waitress was a nice lady, but that alone doesn't make a good restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
ewwka, Owner at Gemelli Restaurant & Delicatessen, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Denise B, you clearly expected a different kind of restaurant.
We are NOT A FINE DINING restaurant and do not want to be. The presentation of our dishes is on our website and is clearly a homemade “trattoria” style.
Quick buck? £34.00 for glass of prosecco, canapies, starter, sorbet with shot of lemoncello, main course (which includes fillet steak with foie gras or fresh swordfish), dessert, coffee and petit four is definitely a COMPETITIVE price (and not much of a profit either)... how much did you pay in the other restaurants you reviewed?
Average quality? It is also thanks to the quality of our food if we have increased our clientele since we opened in 2009, in spite of a long going recession and a very difficult location. The very same evening other customers told me they EXPECTED TO PAY MORE for the quality meal they had!!
You could do better? (Would I come to your place and say I am better at YOUR JOB?) Open your own restaurant and I’ll be happy to try YOUR canapies and see if they are squary and homemade or ROUND AND BOUGHT IN !! But if I didn’t enjoy them I would tell you when asked, I wouldn’t say that everything is “beautiful and fantastic” as you did here.
I sincerely wish you a happy year 2013.
Lorenzo Giovannini
Chef/owner

Europe
“Superb Italian cooking”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This has to rate among the two or three best Italian restaurants I've been to outside Italy. No kidding, this is seriously good: try the sausage and truffle linguine - my mouth is watering as I remember that taste. A very, very good wine list too.

Proper desserts as well: Lemon tiramisu, for example - go on, you know you want to.

Not expensive, either. We had prosecco, a £40 bottle of wine (a seriously good Montepulciano) and three courses each, plus coffee and liqueurs: bill was £117 for two. But you could spend a LOT less than we did and still have a great meal.

I will definitely go back to Gemelli's again.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank charl39
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Homecooked Italian delights”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Went for a long wander from my hotel one early evening to see what I could find and stumbled across Gemellis. I started off as the sole diner and was given a choice of any table and picked a nice spot near the front.

Had a Brushcetta Classico to start which was packed with lovely ripe tomato and pesto on real bread. On to a Carbonara for a main which was rich and filling - my only small complaint was that a few bits of the pancetta were too tough to chew on. I washed this all down with two glasses of the Chefs choice red wine which was very moreish!

Service was great as a lone diner - friendly but not overbearing and the restaurant then attracted a good number of customers as ate. They phoned me a taxi when I asked for one and I left very full and happy.

All in all well worth a little hunt as it's a bit away from the main drag - and a definite if you like authentic homecooked Italian fare.

Visited December 2012
Paignton
“Gemelli wonderful Little Gem !”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I have been going to this Resturant every week for the last Two Months , it has a Wonderful Atmosphere , the Staff are so Friendly, and the Food is Delicious , nice to see this little Italian open at Lunch Times.

• Visited December 2012
Exeter
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This restaurant is a hidden gem at the top of town but worth tracking down. We popped in on the off chance of a table being available and we got the last one. There was a stream of people coming in after us looking for a table so I guess book if you want to be sure of getting a table.

The restaurant is small with somewhere in the region of 20 covers. More could be fitted in but thankfully they have left a lot of room between the tables so you can have private conversations.

The food itself was fantastic and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you do the job properly and go for the full italian menu, it is not that cheap but worth it. You could however go for simple pasta or pizza dishes which are reasonably priced.

It is not quick so if you want fast food go elsewhere but the reason it is not quick is that everything is cooked fresh and that obviously takes time.

The service was absolutely spot on too. Attentive but not in your face.

I would definitely go to this restaurant again.

• Visited October 2012