“hotel de la marvelous”
Review of Hotel De La Mer

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
Hotel De La Mer
Ranked #93 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Hereford, United Kingdom
“hotel de la marvelous”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have recently returned from a 4 night coach trip staying at this establishment (7/3/13-11/3/13), and it's safe to say that despite my apprehenshions about staying in such a small hotel, my concerns were unfounded. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff, e.g. when i arrived the room i had been booked into had a problem with the shower, so i contacted the staff and was immediately moved to another room. a variety of entertainment was provided over the course of the stay which i found enjoyable. the food was both homely as well plentiful, the was frequently second helping at most meals.
Also the hotel is on a main bus route into and out of Torquay which runs late into the evening for those night owls who enjoy exploring.overall i would definitely recommend this hotel as a place to stay if you are looking for hotel with a homely feel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with a coach trip. I was with my disabled partially sighted, disabled mam, and sister. We were warmly welcomed by Luke and family which I think was a lovely start to our break. We were allocated rooms on the ground floor as requested. They were spotless, and i loved the warm homely quaintness of them. The food was 1st class with all fresh produce used, and plentifull. Seconds and thirds could be had if wanted. I had dietry needs that required a pureed diet, and must say it was wonderfull! By far the best I have eaten during my numerous hotel stays throughout the UK " Bravo Luke " The evening entertainment was excellent and enjoyed by myself and family. Everyone there waitresses included, were so helpfull and made our stay a warm memory. We loved babbacombe and its scenery and peacefullness. The small shopping precinct was just a stroll away and we visited " Bygone Days " A trip back into time with wonderful memrobillier "sic". To sum up, Yes we would love to go back and stay again, hopefully some time this year. We look forward to it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Raglan, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Took coach of 36 people in october 2012. food amazing staff could not do enough for you. Welcomed by Luke when we arrived with a cup of tea.

I took a small coach of 16 people for New Year could not fault it . Have booked for this year.
highly recommend this hotel.

Trevor Phillips Monmouth

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed for one night only in this Hotel in December 2012 on a Coach trip weekend.The food was plain but delicious and lots of it. The Staff were excellent, very friendly and attentive. The Hotel had won awards for their Christmas decorations and I'm not surprised because it was absolutely wonderful. Every room was full of many beautiful decorations to behold. My only gripe is that there was a single room supplement of £30 (to be fair I don't know who pocketed the money whether the Hotel or the Coach Company ?!) I would definately confirm any additional single room supplements if you stay at this Hotel first because although the room was very clean (, There were tea/coffee making facilities and the bed was comfortable)it was very very tiny and the bathroom was so small I had trouble getting into the shower there was just no room. Anyone over a size 14 would not get into the toilet. It just did not warrant the extra supplement as 1) the room only had a single bed so was not depriving another guest of a bed 2) I only ate for one person and 3) the room was tucked into a corner of the Hotel so I cannot understand what the extra charge was for ?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Essex
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here on a Twixmas break between Christmas and new Year. Nothing was to much trouble the food good and plenty always offered seconds. The rooms were clean and comfortable with spare pillows and blankets if needed.Evening entertainment not the best but ok especially the magician that was excellent but did not go much on the quiz night or the husband and wife duo. Would definitely consider staying again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

arrived 29th oct first impresion,is this the same hotel i have read reviews about we were allocated room 26 a substandard room looking into a dingy yard for our view ,the furniture in the room was very poor and one matrass was worn out, the on suite clean and modern but the shower was so small that on dropping my soap i had to clime out to bend down and pick it up. the food in the hotel was well presented and cooked well however one had to pick your evening meal at breakfast time and the choice limited. , and meal times breakfast 9.00 to late dinner 6 pm to early also guests were kept queuing like school children before being let in to the dining room. the tea and coffee in the dining room was terrable owing to a foul taste in the water this matter was taken to the managment to be told it was chemicals in the water however no drikable water was found so we drank a good south african white as an option, trevor.n lincolnshire ILE NOT BE BACK.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trevor n
Luke T, Owner at Hotel De La Mer, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Trevor,

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment, I must say that your comments have left me completely baffled? You complimented our hotel and service on a daily basis and said how wonderful your stay was.

Had you raised any issue with your bedroom I would have immediately offered you alternative accommodation within the hotel, we had several other twin bedrooms available which I would have happily moved you to - had you expressed any concerns. At no point during your stay did you raise any concern with your accommodation whatsoever, which would have given us a fair opportunity to deal with any issues you may have had.

I have since checked the mattress' in the bedroom and I honestly cannot find any fault at all with either mattress, if I had found any fault I can assure you I would have replaced them straight away. I am equally puzzled by your comments about the furniture in the bedroom - all of our furniture is monitored and replaced as and when needed. There is plenty of room within the shower cubicle to bend down to pick up a bar of soap.

We do ask guests to pre-order their food, this saves greatly on wastage (we try to be as conscious as we can about our environment) and enables us to use much higher quality and more fresh local ingredients to prepare our dishes with. I can only apologise that this was not to your satisfaction - again if you had expressed concerns we could have addressed them by possibly allowing yourselves to order your food at each sitting.

The only evening you were kept queuing to enter the restaurant was on Tuesday evening (Christmas day - the holiday was a tinsel & turkey themed break and Tuesday was a mock Christmas day), this was because my 3 children and nephew and niece aged 1 - 4yrs old, who were all in festive costume, were wishing guests a very happy Christmas and presenting them with their complimentary Christmas presents. The reason for the delay with entry was because all the other guests were soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying having their pictures taken with the children. I can again only apologise for this - we have never received such a complaint before in our 35 years here.

You did complain about a strange taste in your tea and coffee on your first breakfast and I immediately - without question replaced both pots of tea and coffee along with your jug of milk and I apologised. You said that you were still unhappy with the taste of both the tea and coffee, we agreed that it must be down to the taste of the drinking water as you said you did not like the taste of the tap water. You said that you would rather not drink tea or coffee so we gave you complimentary large glasses of orange juice to compensate. We have a certificate from our water provider - South West Water to say that our tap water is fit for consumption, the taste may well be different from your own water provider and not to your liking, unfortunately there is nothing I can do about the taste of South West Waters supply. We do sell bottled local mineral water in our bar which would have been a much cheaper option than our South African wine.

Summing up - I can only offer my sincere apologies that you were not happy with your holiday, it is such a shame that you did not give me or my family or staff a fair opportunity to put the rest of your issues right for you. I am just so puzzled, as I said before you complimented us on a daily basis?

Kind regards
Luke Tillen.
wales uk
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We as a family have stayed at Del la mer,traveling by car.
The hotel look great,and car parking was good.
On arrivel we had a very warm welcome,we were shown to our realy clean rooms.
The bed was realy comfortable,and tea/coffee avalible to make. The rooms were cleaned daily.
The hotel is a long estabilished family run,and it shows throughout, with the very high standard in care of guests,preparation.and service.
I must stress the food was of very high standard and choice was varied daily.we were very pleased.and suprised daily an also offered seconds.
The bar lounge was nice size room to sit and have a drink or two,also to take in shows that were put on if you desired,They were very entertaining.
The location is very good and Babbacome is very nice place,with easy acsess to Torquay and neibouring costal destanations,We used the local buses as they were frequent and easy to get about without worring about parking in towns,when adventureing. Bus stop just a minute away.
We realy liked our stay at the Hotel,Family and staff made our stay,and we be using this hotel again when we venture down that area in the future.
Ps,Thank you again for making it memorble for us, and hope to see you agiain.
Paul and michelle from wales camerons parents.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family