“cant wait to return”

Ranked #81 of 148 Torquay B&B and Inns
Burnley, United Kingdom
“cant wait to return”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

As a coach driver, we visit many different types of hotel. On 30 sept 2013 i arrived at the Seabury hotel in Babbacombe for 5 days. The welcome was very warming and friendly. This is a well run family owned hotel. Food was always piping hot and wholesome. Lovely rooms. Great helpful staff. and an outdoor pool !!!
(especially Daniel my personal traffic cop) . Sue, Denise and family were always on hand to give help and advice to the guests. The entertainment we had on the middle evening was fantastic. Peter Baffles is a top class entertainer not to be missed.
If any tour companies are looking for a cozy, friendly one coach hotel then visit the Seabury.
Keep up the good work gang.. Hope to see you again in 2014.
Dave

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Blaina,s.wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

stayed aug.23 to 26 2013 . Arrived very early and called in mainly for a comfort brake ,as expected the room was not ready but this was not a problem as we expected this. Then went for lunch and returned at the advertised book in time , long wait for door to be answered( this was a theme we noticed for all new arrivels). shown to our room only to find it was a twin not the double we booked when we informed staff of this they showed us their booking list in which our double had been changed to twin ,just glad that we brought our own copy so there was no argument.was told that there had been a staff fight and one had left and they were a bit disorganised because of this and a double was not available.In the spirit of this we agreed to take the twin and push the beds together.What upset us was that during our stay at least 2 doubles were unused for two of the nights and we were not even offered a token of recompence(pint or bottle of wine ,evening meal would have been nice).the room itself was basic, the flush was broken with the lid lifting when flushed,the chrome fittings in the shower were starting to rust and the hot cold directions were written in felt pen.towel left in shower tray to be changed was just hung back on the shower curtain,and no replacement soap during our stay.Attended the bar on the first evening and had to call the lady from her private quarters to serve us each time we went to the bar as she was more interested in her stitching than us ,did not go to the bar again.Over all a lot of little hiccups that spoiled our time with them.hope that this review will push them to correct these issues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dean J
denisejf, Owner at Seabury Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
So sorry that you have felt the need to make this response,we in fact offered you a king sized bed as the twin that you had zip and linked .(making the king size) you said that it was no problem and to leave it. so that was your choice.The unused beds that you saw had been booked and their stay run into yours so we could not use them.
Arrival time is after 2.30 pm and to gain entry and book in guest must ring the bell, sometimes our guests will have to wait a short time ,if we are dealing with other guests or seeing guests to rooms we cannot be in two places at once ,so 20/30 seconds wait is not out off the ordinary , we will not have our front door open thus letting anybody free entry ) there have been many robberies in hotels where strangers have gained access without anybody knowing, so we consider this a small inconvenience
for safety reasons..once booked in you have a key for your use while staying with us.
I explained at breakfast on one morning THAT breakfast would be a bit slow as the waitress had left with no notice.
All of our showers and rooms have refurbs on a regular basis and this room is on our list in the next couple of weeks, soaps are only given on the first night we are a two star hotel and do not charge for the extras that bigger more expensive hotels do .
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel with my brother in law and his wife recently at the end of august.This hotel was used as part of a coaching package.Our overall view of this hotel was good, this was taking into account the small amount of money they must have been getting from the coach operator.There was a choice at breakfast and evening dinner,both served by waitress service.The rooms were adequate in size,kept clean,tidy and replenished with tea and coffee.The showers were small,just fitted in,mira controls for showers were good.they had a bar until eleven,outside pool,heated and refurbished.Last and most importantly the staff were very customer friendly and helpfull with any problems or enquires. I would stay here again,as for the reasons mentioned.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard O
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Only stayed for one night, but wish I had stayed for a few more. The room was fantastic and the welcome we got was absolutely brilliant. Would definitely recommend to everyone travelling to Torquay and will be staying again the next time I'm there. The rooms were really comfortable, with plenty of space and the breakfast was wonderful. Well worth the trip and the price was really good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mart_bmes
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights whilst attending a friends wedding

+ the hotel caters for single people ŵithout a single supplement & meant I could stay at a hotel alone for the same price as my friends who are coupled up
+ there were plenty of single rooms available
+ hotel was a good standard for a 2 star hotel
+ rooms were a good size
+ wifi available in the communal areas & easy to get online
+ welcoming staff
+ allowed me to check in late
+ accommodating to a friend who hadn't been checked into his room in time

- rooms could have been cleaner, there were several wood louse & the room was musty, not great for asthmatics such as myself, but a problem you get in a lot of uk hotels
- shower in single room was quite small, but was powerful enough & good temperature
- I had two awful nights sleep at this hotel due to the noisy elderly couple in the room next door. I didn't raise this with the hotel as this was due to the other guests and the nature of the guests in the hotel who were from an older generation, shouting at each other from very early in the morning.
- when leaving one of the proprietors was quite rude & abrupt with other members of my group, I had booked & paid for my room in advance, however my friends had reserved several rooms as a group & only paid a deposit. The proprietor was insisting they pay for the room as a group rather than per room per couple which they wanted to do. Considering the hotel was making money from each of the rooms, I believe she was just being lazy in not wanting to deal with a payment per room. I found her manner at this time rude & abrupt, however she did apologies later & allow the party to pay per room
- when wanting to sit with my friends at breakfast the waitresses were not accommodating even though there several tables & all it took was to switch room numbers on the table
- I was interrupted several times by the housekeeping when trying to get ready for the wedding even though I said I didn't need the bed turned down etc

The hotel is a good standard for a 2 star hotel

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor, the ground floor is noisier