“Return visit”

Cliff Railway Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Torquay
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Open all year serving freshly cooked breakfast, lunch, homemade cakes and scones. Ice cream kiosk open all year with 22 flavours of icecream and milkshakes available. Uninterrupted views over Lyme Bay from floor to ceiling windows and a panoaramic view from our outside terrace. All meals are cooked to order and we use fresh locally sourced ingredients.
Reviewed December 15, 2013

On a sunny , clear day last week , my wife and I returned to the Cliff Railway cafe with my parents. Parked outside easily, and had a panoramic window table with views to Teignmouth , Exmouth , and the whole of Babbacombe Bay.
Lunch was delicious - and the staff very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to another return visit.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Travelled down recently from Yorkshire for a long weekend in Torquay. Of all the places we ate in area, this was the nicest! Staff were friendly and food was lovely. Look forward to visiting again soon

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have taken my friend, who is able to walk only a short distance with the aid of a frame, to ths cafe many times. We have always found the two ladies behind the counter to be very helpful, the toilet facilities excellent for my friend's needs and never had a complaint about the food.

We visited this morning and our experience was beyond belief. There is room for two cars outside the cafe and a Mercedes car was straggling both of them. Upon being told that the car belonged to the owner, a young fit looking guy not busy, who was in the restaurant, I requested him to move his car a couple of feet which would give me room to park. He refused saying that he was not prepared to go downstairs for his keys and told me to park across the road which I did.

Upon leaving, and after having re-positioned the car outside I couldn't resist having another word with the owner. I pointed out that he was lucky to be able to run up and down the stairs to get his keys and that I felt moving his car a couple of feet would not have been unreasonable. His reply was "I wasn't prepared to do that. It was freezing out there!" Actually, it was a beautiful crisp sunny morning.

3  Thank margaret n
LindsayY666, Owner at Cliff Railway Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

This is the first review I have ever felt the need to respond to. For the sake of accuracy I would like to point out that the reviewers disabled friend, who was very pleasant, was already sitting at the back of the cafe when the reviewer entered to announce that she was parked across a neighbour gates and they would have to deal with it. The staff member explained that wasn't acceptable and the lady suggested that if the car in front moved forward then she could squeeze in behind. This was not the case. There was not enough room and the rest of the road was empty, which made the request quite bizarre. Far from doing nothing, I was sitting with a local builder going through our extension plans. I refused to go and move my car on the basis that the lady is rude, fully mobile herself, had to park 20 feet away on the level and could pull up outside when her friend was finished. This was never a request, more of a demand. Whilst we do try and welcome all customers, it would be better if in future Margaret went elsewhere.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Go with an appetite - portion control is not an option! Cheerful, happy staff and always a friendly greeting. Lovely to see happy customers in lively conversation whilst enjoying far-reaching views of the bay. The cafe is very clean and serves many good things, including excellent crab sandwiches, cream teas and coffees. It is an ice-cream lovers delight. Great to sit outside in hot weather but a welcome all-year round. We can't wait to return.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Nowhere better on a cold winters day than the Cliff Railway Cafe. We had a lovely lunch admiring the amazing views. Will definitely be back!