“Back Again, still as good”
Review of Cary Arms & Spa

Cary Arms & Spa
Ranked #18 of 148 Torquay B&B and Inns
Hampshire
“Back Again, still as good”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Back for a second visit to the Cary arms. I think most of the reviews make the same point: its lovely place, great location, great food and fabulous staff. Its a quirky kind of place, its not a typical "5 Star" chain hotel, and some things aren't perfect (but so minor not worth mentioning), but the staff are so friendly and helpful, it has bags of character and its just an amazing place to hang out, rain or shine...it almost feels like "home".
I probably made the point in my last review, it possibly feels like you are paying top end (for food and accommodation) but I think overall its worth it.
Well done to Jen and the staff, thanks for a great 3 days and we WILL be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CaryArms, Manager at Cary Arms & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Many thanks for your lovely review. It's wonderful to know you had a fab stay! See you again soon :)

Warmest wishes, Jen and the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were a bit worried when we looked up this hotel that it was so close to built up Torquay but we need not have worried. It's in a breath takingly beautifully secluded bay down a long steep and remote path. The staff couldn't have been nicer and more helpful and the food was very good. It was the British coast at it's best with beautiful clear water and even seals that came up to the shore. Our room had a wonderful sea view. We'll certainly be back!

Room Tip: Ask for Fleet Admiral-it's the best room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnieAndCharlie
London
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We found this place from Conde Nast and The Telegraph. Both of whom gave it excellent reviews. And the second we arrived, we realised why. It is absolutely incredible. The Staff cannot do enough to help you. The grounds and terraces are pristine. The room was luxurious and immaculate. The food was gourmet. The views were out of this world, and most importantly for us, our little doggie was as important and as welcome, everywhere we went, as we were. This beautiful Boutique Inn certainly brings a whole new meaning to Dog Friendly! We have travelled all over the States as a couple but the new addition to our Family has changed our travelling arrangements, and I can honestly say, we have never received such treatment as Jen, Tony and their Team gave, or rather spoiled us with, anywhere. We cannot wait to be back, next summer, so it's a case of start saving the pennies hard now!

We stayed 4 nights in Rear Admiral and could not fault a single thing. We ate all 4 nights in the Inn and every bite was truly delicious. How wonderful it was to have our doggie asleep on my lap at the dinner table. Where else can you dine in such style and with your special 4 legged friend with you?

We walked for miles all around the surrounding area and beyond. We were free to explore to our hearts content and the sun shone down on us. We sat on Babbacombe beach and paddled in the sea-in August-with our dog-again so wonderful to have that freedom and ability right on the doorstep.

Gosh, I only wish we had visited last year, but we hadn't found the place then! All good things are worth waiting for, and the 12 months before we return will surely be counted down in our heads!

One little tip, this area of South Devon is not for the faint hearted if you are a Londoner, and not used to driving 30% hills, single track roads and turning round on a knife edge. All adds to the charm and exclusivity though. And boy, is the Cary Arms exclusive!

Having just returned we both, and our little doggie, have a case of post C.A. blues! It's raining in London. We will just have to look at our photos and remember the trip instead!

Room Tip: There are two specific dog rooms, chose whether you want a bath or a shower. We stayed in Rear Admir...
1 Thank Cosky
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Not only is the food first class but also the staff, service & outstanding views. You are always ensured of a warm welcome & as we live in France it is the only place in the area that we try & visit as much as possible. Well done to you all. Stars or what!!! We can't wait to come back in the Autumn.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This relaxed smugglers inn is located on the edge of the sea, a cute old inn, run by a savvy young team. Menu is a little limited but the food they have is great. Home made leek and potatoe soup was yummy and the young man behind the bar very accommodating , would def recommend , also pet friendly

• Stayed August 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have just returned from our 3rd stay in Beach Cottage. This is a beautiful four bedroom cottage which belongs to the Cary Arms. Views are amazing, waking up to the sound of the sea every day is bliss. The cottage is very well equipped and absolutely spotless. Great sunbathing in the tiered garden overlooking the bay.

The staff here at the Cary Arms are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble especially for Tony, he is genuinely one of the nicest people we have met. Thank you to you all for a wonderful, memorable holiday?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Torquay
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Ok, so I've lived in Torquay for a long time and heard of this place and it's good reviews, so my friend who had been before pursuaded me to go, my friend had received slightly poor service on their last visit but decided to put this down to a one off. On arrival I was amazed at this little gem, the bar area was well presented and a female was ensuring the bar was clean and free from drinks spillages, very nice to see. On walking outside the views are fantastic and you can't ask for a better place to sit and enjoy a drink or meal. First impressions really were 10/10. My only grumble about seating was the quality, if your staying here then you get to sit in a separated area from Jo public with a better standard of chairs, however sitting in the public area you just get bog standard wooden picnic tables, also in some areas the over hanging shrubbery can tend to harass you, but this is only a minor grumble as the views by far put this to the back of your mind!

We ordered some drinks and I noticed that they have a very high standard selection of whiskeys, brandys etc, the log fire I imagine makes this so cosy in the winter it really has it all.

Having ordered food I was genuinely looking forward to this treat, at £13 for steak and ale pie I was expecting something quite stunning for this five star establishment! The food arrived, and well this is where the joy of this place ended. The food was warm, in short it was an average sized bowl with a slice of pie, some fine/broad beans and no more than three small new potatoes cut in half, all in a pool of gravy! Now I have to say the pie had nice meat in it, and the pastry was average, but really I was so disappointed in the rest, the gravy may as well have been bisto gravy granules, and there really was nothing special about the veg, yes it was cooked, but considering this is five star I really was expecting something a little more inspiring - most other five star establishments I have eaten at have had their veg presented seperatly and I just felt this was like an average and over priced pub meal!

Of course I do appreciate this may have been a one off, however I think if I ordered the same again I would receive similar standards! I did point this out to the waiter and in fairness he was very polite and dealt with the situation admirably. I think the real embarrassing moment for him was when I then discovered my slice of lime in my drink still had the sticker on it!

Ok so not the end of the world, but again this is supposed to be five star and as they are charging five star prices I expect this to be served to me?

In conclusion a real gem for torquay, give it a go, it is nice I just don't think it deserves five stars?

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
The Orestone Manor
Bovey Castle Hotel
Bovey Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Bovey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,197 reviews

Been to Cary Arms & Spa? Share your experiences!