“Stunning - and great family for money!”
Review of Cary Arms & Spa

Cary Arms & Spa
Ranked #23 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2011

If only I had longer to stay.... that bath, that view, I want to hide at Cary Arms for ever, the staff where amazing and could not do more for us.

If only there where more hotels like this and then I discovered there are thank you keep up the fantistic work. I look forward to staying with you again soon.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in an amazing, spotlessly clean, delightful room, with a terrace overlooking the bay. On all 3 days we had breakfast and dinner alfresco, which was just stunning, the food is fantastic. Apart from the location, room and food, the staff are pretty special too, I think Jen, the manager is delightful, as are all of her supporting staff, a real team effort, so a big thank you from me. I shall certainly be returning, hopefully as soon as I possibly can. Fabulous break.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed July 3, 2011

If your in Babbacombe for the day and want a meal... Really don't bother with this so called pub.... Firstly to ensure we had enough parking time we paid £4 on the car park to cover an early evening of food and drinks ... Yes the location is beautiful ... But that's the only positive thing about our visit... We telephoned at 4pm on Sunday 3rd July 2011 to see what time they served food... We were told 6pm..we were not told they were busy nor that we needed to book a table... We arrived at the pub at 5:15pm... I confirmed with the barman what time food was being served... This time we were told 6:30pm however they had had a busy lunchtime and there was a restricted menu... This was chalked on the blackboard in the bar... We ordered drinks and sat outside... At 6pm I popped into the bar to confirm the correct time for ordering food... Only to find a sign on the bar saying no food being served unless you had booked in advance or you were staying as a resident... I asked the staff why had they not informed me on the phone or when I arrived that this was the case? ... They just seemed to fob me off... As a local resident... The attitude and lack of service ... I won't be going there again... The pubs along Babbacombe Downs were all full.. We drove straight to the Babbacombe Inn... Only had to wait 5 minutes for a table... Food and service was exceptional... As a local.. I know where we will be going in the future!!! ... To the Manager of The Cary Arms... Get a grip of your business... If you want to survive.. That is no way to treat customers!!

• Stayed: July 2011
15  Thank Slippery999
CaryArms, General Manager at Cary Arms & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

I am terribly sorry that you had such a disappointing experience with us here at the Cary Arms. I have no acceptable excuse for this apparent breakdown of communication and I am truly sorry.
May I ask that you could be good enough to contact me personally on 01803 327110 or email me at jen@caryarms.co.uk with a convenient number which I can contact you on as I would love to have the chance to make amends.
I do hope to hear from you shortly. Warmest wishes, Jen Podmore, General Manager

Reviewed June 25, 2011

Recently stayed in Babbacombe and having looked at the very professional web site for the Cary Arms decided to book a table there for an anniversary meal.
We walked down the very steep Beech Road the day before our booking to have a drink at The Cary and found that the camera really does lie. The interior of the Carey Arms is just like any ordinary pub and very disapointing, and the conservatory looks like a cheap cafe. We sat in the conservatory and one couple in there had the scallops which did look lovely but an elderly man sitting quite near to us ordered chips and a cheese sandwich. This arrived with the sandwich propped up against a pile of chips and the bread looked to be of a very poor standard and curling up at the edges. The elderly gent ate his lunch obviously too polite to send it back.
We promptly cancelled our booking and instead went for a delightful meal at a nearby French restaurant, not because of the curled up sandwich but because the Cary Arms was just not special, and instead just very ordinary. I'm sure the rooms there are just lovely and deserving of the 5 stars but it is really not worth the walk down there if you are just going for a meal.
I did find the staff to be fine but I do notice a reply from the Cary Arms to a previous negative comment about the food there that 'perhaps their cuisine was not to the persons liking'. Very condesending and unnecessary, I'm sure those people knew the difference between good and indifferent cuisine.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob88845
CaryArms, General Manager at Cary Arms & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Customer feedback is a fantastic tool to monitor your business hence I thank you sincerely for your time in writing this review. I can't however understand your comments on the conservatory as it's a fantastic recent addition which has received wonderful comments for it class, style and design.

I'm terribly sorry that you didn't stay to actually experience the food as I feel its extremely hard to judge a venue and its food offering when you have not actually tasted the food but simply viewed it from a far. I would love you to visit us again and enjoy a fresh caught lobster or a juicy local crab sandwich with a perfectly chilled chardonny whilst soaking up the sun on our beautiful terraces,captivated at the wonderful Babbacome Bay view that we are so lucky to look at every day. A dolphin may even swim on by whilst you dine...... now how how special is that :)

Reviewed June 11, 2011

we have just stayed at the cary arms, what a special place! we had a wonderful night in a wonderful room, fantastic views of the sea from our private balcony, superb evening meal and everything you could want for breakfast! a warm welcome from Jen,Tony,and the whole team,made our 40th anniversary so special. thanks to everyone, for a great time.! we would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of booking in Devon and wanting somewhere special.

Room Tip: we stayed in fleet admiral , best views!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank meggins
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed for four nights in early September last year, two with the children, two without. From the location to the food to the accommodation it was faultless. The food was fresh, tasty and imaginative, the rooms were understated seaside elegance (amazing bathrooms) and you can't get much closer to the sea. But a special mention must go to the young and friendly staff who just kept everything bubbling along perfectly.
We absolutely loved the place and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank cumbriancastle
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Myself, my husband and my three year old daughter had one nights stay at The Cary Arms to celebrate our 1st Anniversary. We got married at the beautiful setting of The Cary Arms last year and couldn't resist going back another time! We stayed in the Captains Suite which was absolutely stunning. We had an amazing large room with huge bed, wall mounted flat screen tv and our own private walk on balcony with table and chairs that overlooked the bay. My three year old daughter was very happy with her adjoining twin room, also with wall mounted flat screen tv. The attention to detail was brilliant and they had even left a gift of a bucket, spade and fishing net for our daughter which was lovely. Our rooms were joined with our own private hallway in between with kitchen facilities such as sink, drainer and fridge with tea and coffee making facilities. Bottled water and very tasty cookies were waiting for us. The bathroom was very luxurious.

The service was brilliant, the staff were very attentive and friendly and we were made to feel special. Our evening meal was amazing, really tasty and very good quality and of a high standard. The breakfast in the morning was also of the same high quality with lots of choice whatever your taste.

No matter where you look at The Cary Arms the views are stunning and dramatic with high cliffs and sea views with a lovely pebble beach to walk to were you can enjoy fishing for crabs. The hotel also offer a small play room for children which is full of toys for all age groups and includes a nintendo wii for the older children. They have really thought of everything. If you were enjoying a longer stay there's lots to do locally with boat trips, steam trains, sandy beaches and of course not forgetting Babbacombe model village.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Cary Arms and would recommend it to all.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family