Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Reviewed September 2, 2019
GronowK
Cardiff, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews interesting things cinema room on display well worth a visit escape room rainy day artwork replica stories
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The museum is hidden away in Torquay. There is a focus on getting Charlie "Bronson" Salvadore (as he is now known) released - the owner of the museum is a friend, however this is just one part of the collection. There are a lot of interesting items and stories for visitors, it has enough to hold your interest for about an hour or so.

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Visited with the family to pass a bit of time while we were in Torquay. Found it fascinating and an interesting diversion for 45 minutes or so. Probably a bit expensive for what you get.

Reviewed September 6, 2019

The museum was eerily fascinating, if that is the appropriate word to use. An array of interesting information and displays about the history of crime primarily in the UK. If you are interested in true crime I would recommend

Reviewed September 2, 2019 via mobile

We visited here on Saturday as a couple. We were actually walking through to the town having visited aquatic coasts as a family and spotted the sign outside. Having never heard of this place, my other half decided to have a little look to ask the price and we debated on whether to go in as to be honest it didn’t look great down a back alley. After some deliberation, we decided we didn’t have anything to lose as we are both interested in this type of thing and our parents looked after our son for an hour whilst we went in.

When paying the first thing we noticed was the smell, yes it was strong but was it that disgusting? Not really, more of a dusty, old, damp smell. As the lady on the counter noticed my son from when my other half popped in to ask how much it was she said he could go in for free, but at 4 years old I explained that I wasn’t sure it was appropriate. (This was proven true and I’m glad he didn’t come in)

To be honest, we had really low expectations and to our surprise it was better than we thought. Some things were a little cheesy and to be honest, having spent a lot of time teaching in prisons some of the information wasn’t new to me but my partner really enjoyed it. He liked the fact that some of the original items from the actual crimes such as the great train robbery and letters from the Krays were there in the museum to look at.

I think what we both found a little strange is that the majority of the museum is based on Charles Bronson. Some of this is somewhat interesting but as previous reviews have stated a lot of it seem biased towards his innocence whereas I believe as a crime museum this should have been shown in a more neutral way.

At £8.95 per person, I wouldn’t return, especially as the majority of the museum is based on lots and lots of writing which can just be found on google. I think if it’s raining or your at a loose end then maybe it’s worth a go but if not save your money and visit somewhere else.

1  Thank GronowK
Reviewed August 27, 2019

we went with anticipation not really knowing what to expect. workmen were putting on a new door at the time and were themselves unsure if it was open to the public. having established that it was we were a little taken back at the price, however decided to give it a go as we thought for that price it must be half decent. we were very very dissapointed it was not very large and definately not worth even half the price cold and musty smell felt sick

Date of experience: August 2019