“Just what the Doctor ordered”
Review of The Heritage Hotel

The Heritage Hotel
Ranked #115 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We needed a Hotel On the seafront, with sea views, and an indoor swimming pool and that is what we got. The bedroom was large and very comfortable.My Husband enjoyed the spa bath very much. I was able to swim every day and the pool was warm,the sauna hot and the jacuzzi spacious. Granted Appleby's (bar) got a bit hectic at weekends but we were warned when we booked but quite frankly everything was organised beautifully the music stopped at 11pm and as we are both nearer 80 than 70 we enjoyed watching the youngsters partying.The breakfasts were adequate,perhaps some fruit would have been nice.The food served during the day and evenings was well presented and delicious. all in all we had a great time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2010

if you want to be kept up most of the night and pay through the nose for the pleasure this is the hotel for you,room very very dated needs total refurbisment.bathroom dirty bath plug hole filled with hair.downstairs pub has extremely loud music until midnight, then stragglers shouting and talking for another couple of hours.breakfast was the worst ive experienced in the last 30 years.all this and they have the cheek to charge you £80 they should have paid me.this experience has put me off torquay for life,wont be going back

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank icemannn
Reviewed September 30, 2010

2 Night stay in September 2010.
Start with positive - Location is very good and the view from the room was lovely. Breakfast was served fresh and tasty.

Odd Bit - On arrival you have to pay in full for your stay. They have had many issues with none paying clients.

We didnt use the pool so I am unable to comment on this.

Room - Paid £80 per night (inc breakfast) The room itself is OK,, tea and coffee in room, TV & Hairdryer -but it was falling apart! we couldnt close the window fully in our 'suite' as it was broken, but great view. The bathroom was dated and fittings slightly rusted. Shower - hose over bath, was hot or cold with little pressure. I think the price of the room is excessive for the quality of the room & hotel.

Our main issue - Applebys Bar - Hen and Stag parties meant the bar was extremely full.
On one evening there was a huge fight with glasses being thrown which spread out to the car park and a mass of policecars, not quite what I had expected when I was booking a romantic weekend!

We wont be visiting this hotel again, this hotel has potential but the bar is only for those wanting a lively, boozy time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Location is perfect & views from the Balmoral Suite stunning! 5 minutes walk from both railway station & town centre. However 'the suite' has passed it's best! The bed, furniture & carpets were dated & tired looking. The bathroom suite is a lovely 70's avocado green shade with a shower curtain!! The bar staff despite also being hotel reception staff too didn't recognise we were hotel residents & ignored us at the bar as she was too busy chatting to locals! Applebys is a bar attached to the hotel which seems to ignore under age drinkers unless I'm just getting old! On the plus all music/karaoke ends at 11pm.Breakfast good & staff friendly. I couldn't wait to move on to our next B&B as it was 5* & £5 per night cheaper than the Heritage?! Pool ok, but sauna only big enough for two so you have to wait your turn! Spa changing area also tired & shabby - I wouldn't pay a membership fee here.
In short if you're looking for somewhwer to lay your head with some of the best views then stay here but I'd say 3 nights max!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Booked the hotel with the promise of 'modern rooms' in an 'excellent hotel'. Upon arrival the location was very picturesque, but that was about as pleasant as it got. As an ardent traveller through business, I've stayed in a vast array of hotels, but this was the first time I was required to pay for the room up front - first warning sign. A proud 2 star framed certificate adorned the wall of the reception - how appropriate. The room was a total bastion of crap. The floor was stitched up together, the bathroom needed complete refurbishment, the whole hotel looked tired from the torture of age and decay. The (presumed) owner of this establishment was "shocked" when I informed him that my room was grubby and demanded to see the room to justify my frivolous accusations. I happily obliged and after showing him the stained beds/tables, worn, patched up carpets and an ensuite that even a diseased rodent would have said "no thanks", he dropped the soap opera act and admitted the hotel had 'seen better days' & the "bathroom needed total refurbishment". This from a man, who only two minutes ago, was (and I quote) "shocked" that I had labelled the room "shabby". However, all the rooms were the same & were full, on a Tuesday mid-week. Looks like I wasn't going to get reimbursed my £80 I had paid before I'd been allowed my keys.

We then moved on to the leisure facilities. The pool was just about passible as adequate and appropriately the jacuzzi was out of order. Like the hotel, it had evidently seen better days.

In complete contrast, the modern bar was excellent in terms of facilities and service. The food was excellent and was reasonably priced - in the evening. In the morning, we were placed in the hands of a French waitress, who when asked what was the selection for breakfast, she flippantly remarked "there is none". She'd obviously had a rough night.

So on the whole, this crumbling hotel did not justify the £80 bill, unless you wanted a Fawlty Towers tribute act. I would not recommend this to businessmen and it is a complete no go for families. However, out of pure comical value alone, I would recommend the humoured amongst you to go there, only for a night, to make up your own opinion of the hotel & answer my title question...

A bastion of crap or a tribute to Fawlty Towers? It passes for both.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank gill4639
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Read the variable reviews, with my holiday pending, called the hotel to discuss my concerns related to the other reviews. The hotel was very helpfull, i trusted them and my holiday turned out to be very enjoyable with my daughter in law and my two grandchildren. My only ccritisism was that the swimmng pool and pool area needed a good clean.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I am currently staying at the Heritage and have been since the beginning of June 2010. I travel extensively with my work as an Environmental Health Officer and I have to say straight off a number of the previous views are very unfair, whilst I am sure that from time to time there may well be problems on an individual basis the overal quality and service is excellent, if you want solitude and overall grimness then try some of the surrounding hotels. The facilities including the gym,sauna & pool are of a high standard as are the rooms I have been staying in, there is a regular and scheduled cleaning regime undertaken by very well trained staff who I found to be pleasant and helpfull. The location with its fantastic views is second to none in the area with the beach and sea front just across the road with an overbridge down to the beach etc. It is all really down to one thing the visitors attitude and overall expectations of the real world, yes it is busy and vibrant at times but that I would say is a pleasure in these days of recession and indicates how this hotel and its services are run with a true business but friendly manner and is a credit to all concerned who work there. I have been satying at the hotel throughout July 2010 & will continue until end of September 2010, so please don't let one or two clearly challenged visitors put you off, in my book it is first grade, long may it be a success

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business