“Hansbury's - Great Fish and Chips”

Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips
Ranked #10 of 343 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
“Hansbury's - Great Fish and Chips”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Having heard Hansbury's name being mentioned a few times during a holiday to Devon we visited the restaurant expecting some quality food. A family of 5 and on a limited budget we were put off by the prices of the restaurant menu. However, we went to the takeaway and got value for money. Overlooking The Downs and eating fresh Cod and freshly cooked chips we weren't let down. The batter was crisp and the fish large... The chips were also freshly cooked and crisp and cooked as a fresh batch which was nice. Living in Yorkshire and eating in some nice fish and chip restaurants around Yorkshire, Hansbury's was certainly the best. Worth a visit if you are in Babbacoombe.

• Visited August 2014

• Korean first
“Gorgeous, tasty fish.”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Hanbury's was recommended to my family while staying in Maidencombe for our Dads 70th birthday. Being from Yorkshire we all love good fish, chips and mushy peas. We weren't disappointed.

It's a lovely cosy restaurant and Janet, our waitress, was great. Really helpful, chatty, funny and couldn't do enough for us, especially our 9 year old twins.

Portions are big, as they should be, and the fish very well cooked. The batter was light and crispy, with tasty white fish that flaked to the touch. Chips were also good though could have done with a minute or two more in the fryer for my taste. The important but often overlooked mushy peas were really tasty too.

We really enjoyed our fish & chip supper and would highly recommend Hanbury's to anyone in the area.

1 Thank Nightboat2047
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

This fish and chip shop is the best in Torbay!

Food is always freshly cooked. You do pay a bit more but trust me, it's worth it!

We regularly eat here and have never ever had a bad meal. Try it, you'll never look back!

1 Thank firsttimenerves
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Best fish and chips ever”
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Visited on a couple of occasions whilst on holiday, haven't ever had fish and chips this nice, made even better by the views whilst eating on the babacombe downs, the perfect way to spend an evening

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jessieduke77
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Best fish and chips but not cheap!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were told about this restaurant/takeaway through a friend who was staying with us who knew they had own lots of awards and wanted to try it, as locals we were totally unaware! Anyway she treated us and from then on we have been back to the takeaway several times. One of things we hate is soggy fish and chips which you unwrap and find half the fish batter is still stuck to the wrapper - this does NOT happen at Hanburys. First of all you can your fish n chips in much more practical cardboard box and the chips are crispy and the fish fresh. We are big eaters and I have to say the portion sizes are great my hubby always sticks to large but I have found each time I go I am requesting smaller until I now just ask for a small which is unheard of for me. The only negative I can say is the price for 4 fish chips and 2 mushy peas you are over £30 usually which for what used to be a 'cheap' takeaway is not. We have also found that decide you would rather eat in then that price is almost doubled! However we have tried other fish and chips locally and honestly keep returning as they really are the best!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank JCRichards
David H, Owner at Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Good evening,
Thank you for your recent review. I am very pleased that you are satisfied with your visit.

However I did want to point out the comment about the cost. At Hanbury's we strive to deliver a high quality product alongside excellent customer service. In order to provide this, all our equipment is top of the range. All our products are of a highest quality and quality does unfortunately cost a little more than sub standard products. If you compare our prices to other takeaway establishments, you will find we are reasonably and competitively priced. We also invest in our staff to make sure the Hanbury's experience is above average and hopefully creates a special memorable visit.

I hope this slightly explains what goes into creating a highly regarded product. I hope you can appreciate that a lot of time, effort and care goes into providing our customers with a superb product at all times.

Many thanks