“Excellent Fish and Chips but very slow service.”

Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips
Ranked #11 of 353 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have always had a very high opinion of the quality of food to be had at this restaurant but on this occasion we were with our son and grandchildren aged 7 and 5.After placing our orders we waited around 50 minutes for it to arrive.The children showed remarkable patience but they were undoubtedly frustrated and this spoiled the occasion.
The food was very good when it arrived but we will think carefully about a repeat visit

David H, Owner at Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Good afternoon,

Firstly, I thank you for taking the time to review Hanbury's. Secondly, I would like to apologise for an apparent over average waiting time you experienced. On busy nights, the wait on food can be up to 30 minutes due to everything being cooked from fresh. With all tables, our restaurant staff should always notify customers of the current waiting time for food, which sounds like you were not notified of. However, 50 minutes for a table of 4 is not acceptable. I can only hope you will see this as a one off and will give us the opportunity to rectify the situation. With children, we provide colouring activities and are always happy to provide bread and butter and small portions of chips while you wait, if they are getting frustrated. We are currently waiting on brand new activity packs for the children too, so once again although your wait was very lengthily, I hope you will give us another chance in the near future to try out the activity packs and a much quicker service.

Please feel free to contact me so that I can investigate why you had to wait so long further.
Hanbury's strive to provide an efficient service as well as a high quality product, and can only apologise we did not meet this on this occasion.

Please email me on hanburys@sky.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Best fish and chips in South West.

Weldone!!!
I am grateful for this fish and chips. if you have fish chips make sure you eat here. dont look at cost just buy and enjoy.

1  Thank AlanNatalie
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The meal was pleasant and the service good, however, it was not wonderful. Nothing wrong with it but not wonderful. The restaurant decor was a trifle twee and over the top.

Hello there,
I was disappointed to read your review about the quality of our food being average. We strive on delivering an excellent product and customer service, so can only apologise that you did not feel this met our usual high standards. Please contact me so that I can investigate this further, as I am very passionate about serving consistent, high quality fish and chips and would like to find out more. We are actually in the process of re decorating our restaurant as we felt it was time to improve the overall decor. I would hope that you will give Hanbury's another chance and will be able to see the changes and have the extra special experience we strive to provide.

Please email me on hanburys@sky.com

Many Thanks

Reviewed February 20, 2014

This lovely restaurant just by Babbacombe Downs is a mile or two away from Torquay Harbour, where most of the decent restaurants are in the Bay, and probably most of the summer tourists, but is well worth an evening's eating.
The ambience is great, with a very nice seating arrangement mostly in boothes for four, in a very pretty and atmospheric restaurant area that used to be.....an abattoir!
The food is truly excellent, and having just this week eaten in a Michelin starred restaurant, I can honestly say that I enjoyed my meal here just as much, more so when you factor in the exceptionally reasonable prices.
For the record don't go for the massive super-sized cod and chips (for about £14 I think) unless you've got a HUGE appetite. I did go for it (in fact twice, as we went back a couple of nights later) and I can honestly say if I've had nicer fish and chips, I can't recall when.
They also have a very good variety of beers and ciders on tap and in bottles, again priced at what you might pay for in any pub.
Exceptionally friendly staff just adds to the enjoyment.
All in all - if you get a chance, eat here in the restaurant (although if you can't get a table there is an attached takeaway where there's a notice telling you which boat your fish was caught from, when, and where - I never knew so much about the Barents Sea until I went to the takeaway).
Not to be missed.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Nice place if you want to sit and have your fish and chips.
Friendly service. Good prices.
Tucked down a side street, so might miss if you don't know the area.