“Scummy!”

Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips
Ranked #10 of 353 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

This was the most lovely scummy meal in a very pleasant atmosphere. Definitely recommend this restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,543)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Having read the reviews and heard about the awards, we went to Hanbury's and had a pleasant meal (take away). The fish was perfectly cooked and the batter bubbly and crispy and tasty!
The staff were polite and working hard (and managing) to keep up with demand (the queue was out of the door at the time of our visit).

However both the chips and the batter were overly greasy - yes it's deep fried, fish and chips will be greasy but it really could have down with a moment on some absorbent paper to mop up the excess fat.

David H, Owner at Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for your generally positive review. I'm sorry that you felt your fish and chips were greasy. This is very unusual as we fry at a lot higher frying temperatures than most of our competitors. The fish and chips were probably not allowed to drain properly. I apologise for this and very much hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had the small cod and chips. Beautifully cooked, no grease. The mushy peas were perfect. Good portion sizes. Can see why these are winning awards.

1  Thank fizzer158
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Starting on the positive - the quality of the chicken and the fish was fabulous. I ordered a large portion of chips and the size was pitiful! I think £2.55 was totally unacceptable price for the portion size & the quality. Under cooked and hard. The young lady who served me was brusque which was off putting - because of this, although the quality of the chicken and fish was marvellous but everything else as described above left us underwhelmed.

1  Thank jimbob899

Thank you for your comments about the quality of the chicken and fish that you were served. I can only assume that, for some reason, you did not get the large portion of chips that you ordered as I can assure you, if you had, I'm confident that you would not describe it as pitiful. I apologise for that and for the fact that they were undercooked. This is not acceptable and I would have been more than happy to replace them for you had it been brought to our attention at the time. As for our member of staff, if she was off putting in any way again, I apologise. Hanbury's is well known for its friendly, helpful staff however obviously on this occasion, this is not the experience you received. I do hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have been going to Hanburys on and off for about 30 years and the food and service has always been top class and the awards are well deserved.
I can remember when it was great food wrapped in newspaper, then when newspaper was seen as not good for food and they went to paper with imitation news print and then a choice between boxed or wrapped and queues going around the building and into the car park so they have always been ahead of the game and very popular
On our last visit is where we have mixed feeling as now the food is boxed with no option for wrapped and we personally feel that portion control versus the prices have slipped out of kilter, we expected to pay slightly inflated costs as it is an award winning chip shop and the standards are high and all the food is of best quality which is not in question we just felt that the portions of chips where on the light side versus the overall cost the meal which unfortunately is now a treat rather then a weekly tradition at Hanburys. For us we would rather see a more cost effective packaging option which the price is built into the experience and remove the stringent portion control on the chips as the food was nice but for the price we paid both our children eat the lot and had some of our chips, we fully understand that this particular chip shop in constantly evolving and using state of the art equipment and packaging and ways to secure the following years award but don't let the winning the awards out way the fact that fish and chips is a great tradition and use to be a cost effective family meal and not a fine dinning experience as we stated its a treat for us rather then being a regular customer as we was a few years back

2  Thank Jarrod H

Thank you for your review and we're delighted that you've been visiting Hanbury's for so many years.
We have had boxes on offer for around 10 years now and over 80% of our customers prefer boxes for their takeaway food. The boxes keep the food in good condition, the food stays warmer for longer and, combined with the re-usable insulated bags that we now sell at cost price, this means that the food arrives at its destination hot and ready to eat.
I very much appreciate the fact that you understand the efforts we go to to properly invest in good equipment, food and staff (many of whom have worked at Hanbury's for over 10 years) and, as you say, that does cost. I take this business very seriously and believe that the right quality in all areas, is vital. The prices we charge do therefore have to factor that in but I genuinely believe that we are competitive with many other high quality takeaway meals. Obviously you've been coming to Hanbury's for many years but I can assure you that no changes to portion size have been made over that time. However, if at any time you are dissatisfied with your portion please do bring it to our attention at the time and we will always try to resolve any issues there and then if at all possible.