“Mixed feelings”

Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips
Ranked #11 of 349 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have been going to Hanburys on and off for about 30 years and the food and service has always been top class and the awards are well deserved.
I can remember when it was great food wrapped in newspaper, then when newspaper was seen as not good for food and they went to paper with imitation news print and then a choice between boxed or wrapped and queues going around the building and into the car park so they have always been ahead of the game and very popular
On our last visit is where we have mixed feeling as now the food is boxed with no option for wrapped and we personally feel that portion control versus the prices have slipped out of kilter, we expected to pay slightly inflated costs as it is an award winning chip shop and the standards are high and all the food is of best quality which is not in question we just felt that the portions of chips where on the light side versus the overall cost the meal which unfortunately is now a treat rather then a weekly tradition at Hanburys. For us we would rather see a more cost effective packaging option which the price is built into the experience and remove the stringent portion control on the chips as the food was nice but for the price we paid both our children eat the lot and had some of our chips, we fully understand that this particular chip shop in constantly evolving and using state of the art equipment and packaging and ways to secure the following years award but don't let the winning the awards out way the fact that fish and chips is a great tradition and use to be a cost effective family meal and not a fine dinning experience as we stated its a treat for us rather then being a regular customer as we was a few years back

2  Thank Jarrod H
David H, Owner at Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for your review and we're delighted that you've been visiting Hanbury's for so many years.
We have had boxes on offer for around 10 years now and over 80% of our customers prefer boxes for their takeaway food. The boxes keep the food in good condition, the food stays warmer for longer and, combined with the re-usable insulated bags that we now sell at cost price, this means that the food arrives at its destination hot and ready to eat.
I very much appreciate the fact that you understand the efforts we go to to properly invest in good equipment, food and staff (many of whom have worked at Hanbury's for over 10 years) and, as you say, that does cost. I take this business very seriously and believe that the right quality in all areas, is vital. The prices we charge do therefore have to factor that in but I genuinely believe that we are competitive with many other high quality takeaway meals. Obviously you've been coming to Hanbury's for many years but I can assure you that no changes to portion size have been made over that time. However, if at any time you are dissatisfied with your portion please do bring it to our attention at the time and we will always try to resolve any issues there and then if at all possible.

There are newer reviews for Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I will be honest, the fish and chips are among the best, however they are getting more expensive for smaller and smaller portions which is why I have marked them down. I had won a portion of chips and had to ask the young lady serving, is that a medium portion? I had asked as only 2 very small scoops went into the box, 19 chips in total! The other thing that makes their chips so good is that we eat them on a picnic blanket on the downs overlooking the sea..... which is free! We used to travel down 4 times a year just to eat Hanburys fish and chips and recommend anybody coming down to visit Babbacombe and Hanburys, but not any more. we will be looking for a new chippy, sorry hanburys but £14 for two pieces of fish, 19 chips and a sausage is ridiculous. ( I am not counting the other portion of chips as they were free and only approx 20 of them). As a business you are doing well and will lose your crown and reputation if the portions don't improve.

1  Thank FunkyDiamond

Thank you for your review and I'm extremely pleased that you think our fish and chips are among the best. I am sorry that you felt that your portion of chips was too small. Generally speaking there around 20 to 25 chips in a medium portion. It sounds as though your portion was on the small side and for that, I do apologise. Although this may not sound like a large number they are steak-size chips not the thin fries that many establishments serve. They are usually between 14 and 17mm thick and provide a much healthier option than thinner chips. We believe the portion size to be right. We've not changed it at any time and, obviously, larger portions are available for the larger appetite. I am sorry that you will be looking for a new fish and chip shop to frequent. We charge a realistic price for the quality of food that we provide and to ensure that we keep our great staff.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

On the spur of the moment I decided that we would try to obtain meals at this restaurant as we had joined our daughter in law for the evening and were looking for somewhere to eat. We drove to Babbacombe only to be informed that as we had not booked there were no tables for at least 1½ hours. Having decided not to wait, we went next door to their takeaway department. We all had Haddock and Chips that were piping hot. We travelled a little distance and ate them on a park bench overlooking the sea. The fish was so fresh you imagined you could smell the sea. Note for the future: Make sure to book next time, and there will be a next time. Parking is difficult as it is surrounded by double yellow lines.

I am delighted that you so enjoyed your Hanbury's fish and chips. We are very fortunate that we get so booked up in our Restaurant although obviously this then meant that we were unable to accommodate you. We are also extremely fortunate to be in such a great location and I'm delighted that you enjoyed them on the wonderful Babbacombe Downs with that great view out to sea. We look forward to welcoming you again. One note about parking. Yes, there are double yellow lines outside Hanbury's but there is a very large car park just yards away which is ideally located for our customers. With very best wishes.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

A billboard advertising Hanbury's on the cliff of Babbacombe and stated they were Fish and Chip Shop 2013, so we decided to give it a try.

The staff were attentive and greeted us well. They would rush you a bit but we didn't mind as we were hungry and wanted our food as soon as possible.

We went for Lunch Time Special - Medium Cod & Chips - £8.25 and ordered mushy peas to go with them. We did read the 'small print' and know that they would charge extra for peas but it would be great if staff warn their customers before they order.

The portion is reasonable for fish and chips. The batter on the fish was crispy and thin. The cod tasted very, very fresh. Nothing special with the chips and they could do better if the portion of the peas was a bit bigger.

The interior design is quirky and suit us young people.

The only negative was that we had to watch people being turned away because no tables were available. We were lucky to get a table for 2 but for others, no. So, remember to book a table in advance to avoid embarrassment.

In the end, I got free postcards from this restaurant.

1  Thank Baby G

Thank you for your review. I appreciate what you're saying about the mushy peas but we do try to make it as clear as possible on our menus what is included with each meal and what the extras are. Many people order extras and I think it would be impractical for us to point out the charge for each one every time. I'm very glad we were able to fit you in and you're right, we do have to turn some people away. We're very fortunate to be so popular but that does inevitably mean that not everyone can eat at Hanbury's when they would like to. Hopefully though they'll come back another time.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Me and my family visited Hanbury's 4 times in a week while on holiday and ate in the restaurant. We had been there the year before as well. As before, the service was very friendly and polite and the fish and chips were, as always, fantastic. You have to go there. But I feel they should offer more for their veggie customers. We were a party of 5 and 1 was a veggie, all she could have was chips, peas and onion rings. How about some more veggie options please. There are plenty of veggie pies, pasties and Quorn products. If you love fish and chips you will love Hanbury's.

1  Thank distelgesic

Thank you very much for your review and I'm so pleased that you ate at Hanbury's so many times during your holiday. Regarding the vegetarian options, you are right, they are very limited at Hanbury's. We used to provide vegetarian dishes but there was so little demand for them we ended throwing away enormous amounts of food. However, we can provide vegetarian options and, if you are on holiday in the area again and plan to eat with us as you've done this time, please let us know in advance and we will happily add some options to suit all of your party. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.