“back again”

Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips
Ranked #17 of 357 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed April 25, 2013

lovely food great friendly service well worth a vist alway come here for a meal if we vist south devon and it never fails to please, eaten here loads of times in the last few years but this is the first time Ive written a review so its long overdue the food is lovely freshly cooked lovelyand hot the staff are really good friendly and attentive alwa make you very welcome

1  Thank busybusybee123
Write a ReviewReviews (1,631)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to trying the fish and chips from here after reading the reviews and the awards this place has got, but was left a bit disappointed.
It was a bit windy but we decided to go in for a takeaway so we could sit looking out to the sea.

We ordered a medium fish and chips to share and a small pot of garlic mayo and curry sauce.
It didn't get off to a good start when my husband paid with a £20 note and was only handed £2 odd change, My husband said he paid with a £20 note and so he got given £10 back but you could tell we were not believed and then felt uncomfortable while waiting for our food when we were questioned further about what change we were given after he thought he gave us £5 the first time. Not sure how he could think that when just a piece of medium fish on it's own is £4.30.

On to the food we agree the fish was one of the best we had. Lovely fresh cod with crispy light batter, wish we had a bigger piece. However the chips were nothing special.

All in all I would recommend a visit to Hanburys as the fish was worth it!

David H, Owner at Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for visiting Hanbury's and for writing about how much you enjoyed the fish. We would however like to apologise for giving you the wrong change and for making you feel uncomfortable in any way – rest assured, this is never our intention and we are very sorry. We hope to see you at Hanbury's again next time you're in the area.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Without doubt, the best fish and chips in the Bay ... Fish is always fresh, chips are mouthwateringly good and the staff are superb. Cod and chips is our order of choice although the rock is good too ... Have only ever eaten in the restaurant a few times, usually we grab a takeaway and food is always cooked to order so it is fresh and hot ... Portions on the large cod and large chips are enough to share but medium cod and chips should suffice even the hungriest of people ...

My son, who is a fish and chip fanatic could have these 7 days a week ... Not the cheapest fish and chips in the Bay but you get what you pay for and this is the Bugatti Veyron :)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Been a while since we've been here (too long obviously). Excellent fish and chips. I chose the large size which was massive. However, there is a jumbo so I wonder how big that is!

My wife had prawn salad and chips (well you can't go to a fish and chip shop and not sample the main dish!).

You can see why it gets awards - nice atmosphere, good service and reasonable price.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The fish was, indeed, fresh but it was not at all large in my opinion - thank goodness I didn't order a regular portion. Furthermore, it was roughly double the price I normally pay elsewhere and certainly no match for the Magpie in Whitby. Finally, when presented to me, it was still swimming - in grease! Perhaps this establishment is resting on its laurels.

1  Thank Inspector1
David H, Owner at Hanbury’s Famous Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Frankly, Inspector 1, your review was a great disappointment to me. If there was an excessive amount of grease on your plate I do apologise for this and assure you that this is a very rare occurrence. However, to say our portions are small and could be purchased at half the price elsewhere is a ridiculous statement to make. The only thing I will agree with you about is the Magpie in Whitby does produce excellent fish and chips. Did you check to see if you had the right portion size of fish? If you had excessive grease on your plate did you ask the waiter/waitress for another piece of fish? All tables are checked after 3-4 minutes to enable us to correct any mistakes or problems. Why write to Trip Advisor who are powerless to do anything when we could rectify the problem at the time?