“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We took eight disabled adults for a holiday recently, we were made very welcome, the rooms were of a high standard, the meals and service were excellent. Throughout our visit all of the staff were very pleasant and helpfull.

Michael E Jenkins

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Polish first
Burnham-on-Sea, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a wonderful hotel.The hotel,s facilities are fantastic for young and old,the huge indoor swimming pools,table tennis ,pool tables etc. The food is absolutely amazing,and the prices are very competitive ,with free parking also fantastic entertainment.

Room Tip: Look for their special offers
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
newport gwent
Reviewed May 24, 2014

booked this hotel at the last minute on the 20th may, on arrival very helpful and friendly reception our room was on the second floor plenty of space and spotless,breakfast was great ,plenty of choice ,wife used the Spa which was enjoyable, lots of treatments available. pool was lovely and warm, entertainment team work very hard .Aztec bistro food very good, some parts of hotel need updating but overall good value for money and will definitely be returning

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed at the Derwent from 12th May to 16th. First impressions when we arrived by coach was a bit worrying as the front of the Hotel was covered with scaffolding but the Hotel was getting a facelift and we were on the front but as we were out of the room all day it didn't bother us.
The food was excellent and the staff very efficient and friendly. We had room 70 which was got to by going through the restaurant and room had been newly decorated and new carpets. Nice clean bathroom and sizeable shower (very powerful). We went to Darmouth on the Tuesday and Wednesday we went to Brixham and Paignton which had plenty of places to eat and drink.
We booked the holiday through Dunwood Travel who are at Dudley and we were very pleased with the service we got from them. We had lovely weather the whole time we were there and on the Thursday we had a walk into Torquay and then came back and sat on the terrace where they have two swimming pools and a bar. Would certainly go back again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Abertillery, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed at the Derwent from 28/03/14 - 31/03/14. This is the third time we've stayed at this hotel. We love the relaxing atmosphere, location and the Spa. Staff are always friendly and hotel is always clean. The food is also good. Great value for money. Will definately return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
South Wales
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Just back from 3 nights at the Derwent, not a bad hotel but not brilliant either. On arrival I parked in the car park to the side of the hotel, next to another TLH hotel, The Victoria. There were approximately 8 spaces which, I thought, for such a big hotel was totally inadequate. On checking in, the receptionist, although very friendly, didn't ask for my registration number or offer any information on the car park. I found out 2 days later that there was a much bigger car park at the back of the hotel which would have saved me a lot of effort in parking and trying to get out of the tiny spaces!

The rooms are great, spotlessly clean and décor is more than adequate. Best thing was the shower though, hot and powerful. However, the corridors are horrendous, narrow with uneven floors which made it very difficult for my 84 year old mother to negotiate. The floorboards are also VERY creaky, which doesn't bode well for a good night's sleep when people are coming back to their rooms in the early hours. Also, there was a good 1.5 inches shaved off the bottom of my bedroom door which let the corridor light in and didn't help the noise situation. Added to this was the fact that every time my neighbour had a shower or flushed the toilet it was like a tornado had hit the room. I could also hear the conversations of people next door and across the corridor.

The ground floor rooms are good, nice comfy sofas in the foyer, dining room nicely furnished and the social areas are quite nice. Didn't try out the pool but it looked good.

The food didn't start well but got better as time went on. The breakfasts were definitely not up to scratch, I had undercooked fried egg on the first morning and the sausages were awful, like Tesco value sausages. The second day I just had scrambled egg and some toast which was ok but on the last morning decided to try the cooked breakfast again minus the sausages. This time my fried egg came complete with eggshell. I was amazed as the hotel warns guests about norovirus and has a hand sanitizer at the entrance to the restaurant but eggshell contains the salmonella virus, surely mistakes like this should not be happening?

The evening meal was better, although the fish cake on the first night was really bland. The chocolate and orange gateaux made up for it though. Plaice and chips on the second night was adequate but the last night meal of poached cod in white wine sauce was really good, credit to the chef for that one.

Now to the weak point of the hotel - the entertainment. I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of this type of hotel but I booked it as it is easier, when holidaying with a pensioner, to stay on the premises rather than go out looking for something to do in the evenings. Started ok with a few games of bingo, then we had a guy called Kevin who came on and - well - I don't really know what the act was. It seemed to consist of asking people for requests and playing them on his laptop. Oh he also blew up a few inflatables and made 'jokes' about them. To give Kevin his due, he seemed a really nice guy and was very popular with the guests, I just don't know what he was supposed to be doing. Anyway, he was miles better than the next act, a comedian, who has to be the unfunniest comedian I've seen in a long while (and I've seen loads of them, famous and not so famous). He said he wasn't going to be like modern comedians who swear all the time (not strictly true) which is fine as long as you're funny. Perhaps it's just me as other people were laughing like drains all through the act. I was worried when he came on and said he was like Jethro, another unfunny comedian. The next night was much better when the young people from the entertainment team put on a 'Viva Las Vegas' show. They were all very talented, great singers and dancers and I was quite impressed. Only weak link in the show was another comedian, Steve, who was great when he was singing but again, the comedy let the hotel down, another unfunny comedian. The last night Kevin was back with his 'act'. He was better this time, dividing the room into 2 teams and having them guess the intros to songs. Good fun but Kevin, please realise we're not all pensioners and also, that not all pensioners like this type of music. I'm not a youngster but I was so looking forward to some Rolling Stones, Beatles, T.Rex, Roxy Music etc etc, I'm sorry but Frank Ifield and Helen Shapiro don't do it for me (or lots of other middle aged people and young at heart pensioners).

For me the saving grace of this hotel is it's staff who were excellent throughout our stay. Special mention to Mike, our waiter who was brilliant, and to the young members of the entertainment team.

Room Tip: Any room which has a full length door and doesn't lie on a creaky corridor!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank paula121065
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few times with family and will return again.
The rooms are a little dated but nice and clean .
Loads to do for kids .
The staff are lovely and the food is gorgeous. The worst thing is the parking not enough spaces .

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family