“An OK hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
South Wales
“An OK hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Just back from 3 nights at the Derwent, not a bad hotel but not brilliant either. On arrival I parked in the car park to the side of the hotel, next to another TLH hotel, The Victoria. There were approximately 8 spaces which, I thought, for such a big hotel was totally inadequate. On checking in, the receptionist, although very friendly, didn't ask for my registration number or offer any information on the car park. I found out 2 days later that there was a much bigger car park at the back of the hotel which would have saved me a lot of effort in parking and trying to get out of the tiny spaces!

The rooms are great, spotlessly clean and décor is more than adequate. Best thing was the shower though, hot and powerful. However, the corridors are horrendous, narrow with uneven floors which made it very difficult for my 84 year old mother to negotiate. The floorboards are also VERY creaky, which doesn't bode well for a good night's sleep when people are coming back to their rooms in the early hours. Also, there was a good 1.5 inches shaved off the bottom of my bedroom door which let the corridor light in and didn't help the noise situation. Added to this was the fact that every time my neighbour had a shower or flushed the toilet it was like a tornado had hit the room. I could also hear the conversations of people next door and across the corridor.

The ground floor rooms are good, nice comfy sofas in the foyer, dining room nicely furnished and the social areas are quite nice. Didn't try out the pool but it looked good.

The food didn't start well but got better as time went on. The breakfasts were definitely not up to scratch, I had undercooked fried egg on the first morning and the sausages were awful, like Tesco value sausages. The second day I just had scrambled egg and some toast which was ok but on the last morning decided to try the cooked breakfast again minus the sausages. This time my fried egg came complete with eggshell. I was amazed as the hotel warns guests about norovirus and has a hand sanitizer at the entrance to the restaurant but eggshell contains the salmonella virus, surely mistakes like this should not be happening?

The evening meal was better, although the fish cake on the first night was really bland. The chocolate and orange gateaux made up for it though. Plaice and chips on the second night was adequate but the last night meal of poached cod in white wine sauce was really good, credit to the chef for that one.

Now to the weak point of the hotel - the entertainment. I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of this type of hotel but I booked it as it is easier, when holidaying with a pensioner, to stay on the premises rather than go out looking for something to do in the evenings. Started ok with a few games of bingo, then we had a guy called Kevin who came on and - well - I don't really know what the act was. It seemed to consist of asking people for requests and playing them on his laptop. Oh he also blew up a few inflatables and made 'jokes' about them. To give Kevin his due, he seemed a really nice guy and was very popular with the guests, I just don't know what he was supposed to be doing. Anyway, he was miles better than the next act, a comedian, who has to be the unfunniest comedian I've seen in a long while (and I've seen loads of them, famous and not so famous). He said he wasn't going to be like modern comedians who swear all the time (not strictly true) which is fine as long as you're funny. Perhaps it's just me as other people were laughing like drains all through the act. I was worried when he came on and said he was like Jethro, another unfunny comedian. The next night was much better when the young people from the entertainment team put on a 'Viva Las Vegas' show. They were all very talented, great singers and dancers and I was quite impressed. Only weak link in the show was another comedian, Steve, who was great when he was singing but again, the comedy let the hotel down, another unfunny comedian. The last night Kevin was back with his 'act'. He was better this time, dividing the room into 2 teams and having them guess the intros to songs. Good fun but Kevin, please realise we're not all pensioners and also, that not all pensioners like this type of music. I'm not a youngster but I was so looking forward to some Rolling Stones, Beatles, T.Rex, Roxy Music etc etc, I'm sorry but Frank Ifield and Helen Shapiro don't do it for me (or lots of other middle aged people and young at heart pensioners).

For me the saving grace of this hotel is it's staff who were excellent throughout our stay. Special mention to Mike, our waiter who was brilliant, and to the young members of the entertainment team.

Room Tip: Any room which has a full length door and doesn't lie on a creaky corridor!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank paula121065

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few times with family and will return again.
The rooms are a little dated but nice and clean .
Loads to do for kids .
The staff are lovely and the food is gorgeous. The worst thing is the parking not enough spaces .

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pollyash
redruth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Derwent in March for five nights. On arrival looked adequate for a two star hotel and we parked fine (car park to the rear). Room was a good sized double with a good sized bathroom - great shower! Seemed clean enough on the surface. I then noticed the carpets around the edges hadn't been hoovered properly, for a long time as was thick with dust! It was the same on all the corridors. As the days passed I don't even think our room was hoovered at all, or the sink cleaned.
The food wasn't bad at all for a two star, just could've been warmer. You do feel rushed to finish your food, we don't all need to get the best seats in the house for bingo! I did point this out to the restaurant manager and he very politely had words with the staff, and we weren't rushed again.
The entertainment was great, especially The Las Vegas show, who were fantastic. Great singers and very funny too.
The facilities are excellent and there's so much to do with being linked to the other hotels.
We wouldn't stay at the Derwent again due to poor cleanliness.I don't worry too much if carpets are a little threadbare, but please just clean them properly! We've stayed in many two star hotels, better value and spotlessly clean.Would consider the Victoria if we returned to Torquay.

Room Tip: Just make sure it's clean!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank williamredruth
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for posting your review. I have discussed your feedback with our Housekeeping Manager. We rarely get any negative feedback regarding our cleanliness, but take all feedback seriously. Our rooms are audited each month to assess our standards. I am glad that you enjoyed the other elements of your break. We were fully occupied during the Easter holidays and feedback in general has been very positive. We hope that you do visit our complex again on a future occasion. Regards
Yate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at the Derwent Hotel 7th until 11th April 2014, this must be our seventh or eighth visit to TLH. Our stay was very enjoyable, and super value. The staff were so polite and helpful, the food in the restraint was very acceptable for a 2 star hotel, and the evening entertainment in the Starlight Lounge was good, although we've seen Viva Los Vegas three times now. Now looking forward to our next visit to TLH, Torquay.

Room Tip: We accept what we get.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Barry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Went as two couples,The whole place is superb,that,s why we all keep going back.Everything is just right.There was one small problem though that needs to be put right,we will not be able to return before July,so here goes,
Have a happy retirement Stuart from the bar,thanks for all the years of fun and laughter you have given us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ianjea
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Stuart will be missed. Regards
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Only stayed one night. Room was lovely with a super king sized bed and bath and shower and lovely and clean. The hotel is a bit of a rabbit warren and the floors are a bit creaky but that didn't make any difference to us. The evening entertainment was really good and we also spent part of the night in Alberts Bar which is below the hotel where there was karaoke on, with some excellent singers. Would definitely go again and try and use all the other facilities available as they all look lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a big bed as my daughter stayed there and got a small room with a smaller double...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gail C
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. Best wishes
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

the rooms were nice, but everything else was rubbish including the food, i reported the shower not working after our first night and when we got back the shower had been fixed, but the towels were soaking wet ,when i reported that they sent up some dry towels but told us to keep the wet ones in the room until the following day, needless to say they did smell a bit by the following day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1ogee
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased you liked your room. We have been invested in our 420+ bedrooms across our complex over the last few years. This will continue this year until completion. I am sorry you seemed to dislike other areas of our offering including our food. The vast majority of feedback is very positive in these areas. I was pleased to read that the shower that you reported as faulty was repair promptly. I am sorry that you required your towels replacing due to wetness and that when given new towels they did not remove the damp ones. I have spoken to the team and this is unusual practice. I am also sorry you will not visit again, I am aware that first impressions are most important and we have failed to make a good one on this occasion. I would assure you and others reading this review, that for the most part our service is what makes us stand out, way beyond that of any 2* hotel and for the most part is more personal and welcoming than any you will receive in some 3* hotels. Kindest regards