“HAPPY HOLIDAY” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“HAPPY HOLIDAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed in The Derwent the first week in July 2013 with my husband and Daughter and her boyfriend. This was our first visit and we were impressed with the hotel. Friendly reception staff especially a lady called Espananze (not sure if correct spelling) she was really pleasant and helpful and not just at check in, really went out of her way to help. We had breakfast and evening meal and the food was amazing with lots of it and something different on the menu every night. Restaurant Managers always greeted us with a smile and pleasant conversation on entering and leaving the restaurant, our Waiter/Waitress each night was also very efficient and food was served quickly and with a smile, most of the restaurant staff were friendly. The only thing the hotel could and should improve on in our opinion is disabled facilities, my husband has a condition which affects his mobility so we hired a mobility scooter but had to leave it on the lower ground floor as wouldn't go in lifts, luckily he is still able at the moment to get about on his crutches but this took us forever to get from one part of the hotel to another and he had a couple of near misses when using the stairs. A lot of work going on in hotel in the corrider where our room was which can't be helped I suppose, and we were asked on two days to allow access to our rooms for workmen to get in. Also most mornings houskeeping tried to get in to the room before we were out and on two/three occasions when we were still in bed, I personally don't think that should happen especially when it was just after 8am. We did enjoy our stay but don't know if we will be able to go back due to lack of disabled facilities as my husbands condition will get worse and he would then be unable to get about the complex, even people with wheelchairs were having difficulties.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank estevensonelaine
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our disabled access statement is on our website for anyone needing this information. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed in July and had a fantastic time. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we found all staff to be friendly, helpful and professional. Like others have said, parts of the hotel are dated but everywhere was clean and tidy. Our room had recently been refurbished and was excellent. The jewel in the crown was the indoor swimming pool. It was superb. One of the largest pools we have come across in any hotel in this country or abroad.

The concept of linking four hotels by various corridors worked very well and allows you more freely around the complex.

Only minor complaints. The lifts are extremely slow and small. Could have done with a shelf in the shower and the maid cleaning our room while we still in it was a bit alarming but these are minor faults when compared to overall experience.

Highly recommended for both couples and for families it is a must.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms and not on 4th floor if possible as only one lift services this...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goonerdave18
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased you approve of our new accommodation. Kindest regards
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many, many times now and it never disappoints. Our children (aged 3 and 7) absolutely adore it and never want to leave! It has all the facilities you could ever require, the staff are very friendly and helpful, they simply can't do enough for you and the food is excellent. We are never made to feel that we are an inconvenience and we feel comfortable allowing our children to be children. We will be back many more times in the future!

Room Tip: Go for standard plus if you want a little extra room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Kindest regards
Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights, the purpose of my visit being for work.

The first thing I would like to say is that I managed to get an excellent deal with this hotel through laterooms.com. I ended up paying £35 per night and when you consider how much other hotels are, it's a pretty good deal really. Also the location was very good and perfect for me as I needed to be based near the local theatre for my work. The staff were generally very polite and my room for a two star hotel was pretty good. The cleanliness of the room was superb and it was pretty comfortable for a short stay. Although the temperature was very hot, but then we are in the middle of a heat wave right now. So that's possibly not something that can be helped.

My main criticism would be about the refurbishment currently taking place. The hotel itself is in need of a big refurb, the interior of the hotel is rather dated. The hotel are clearly dealing with this as refurbishment is taking place at the moment. But this does mean that you have to walk through a bit of a building site. When walking to and from my room, I often found myself having to fight my way through wires hanging from the ceiling and having to squeeze past builders on ladders. I had a large musical instrument with me, so this was a bit of a squeeze! After I had checked in, I have to say I was a little shocked by the interior. But once the refurbishment is complete, I'm sure things will be different. So bear that in mind when reading my review, the state of the interior is only temporary.

Another issue was the housekeeping staff. Whilst they were very polite and friendly, they had an annoying habit of just walking into my room without knocking. It happened to me twice, and on the morning of my departure they did it whilst I was still in bed! I actually found it quite funny, but possibly others would not. I'm not sure why my room was opened at around 8:50 when checkout was at 11:00. I can't say I've ever had this problem in any other hotel and had I paid a bit more for somewhere a little better, this probably wouldn't have happened.

One of the windows in my room didn't have a latch. So had anyone wanted to get in, it would have been very easy. It's highly unlikely that anyone would break in considering how busy it is outside, but you never know and it left me a little cagey about leaving things in there unattended. Especially my instrument which is quite an expensive bit of kit!

If I was to visit Torquay again, I'd probably prefer to pay a little bit more and find a three star. But on the whole the hotel was ok and if you're staying for a short period of time you could probably do a lot worse than this hotel. You will get a clean room, the location is good and the staff are friendly. But it is dated and right now is a bit of a building site.

1 Thank OHBrowne
Thank you for your review. I will pass on your comments to our housekeeping team. Regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We have been visiting TLH for many years, although this was our first stay at the Derwent.
We were greeted warmly as always and thoroughly enjoyed all that the group has to offer. The leisure facilities, entertainment and hospitality were all excellent. I must also give a special mention to the restaurant. The food was fab, as was the service by the friendly staff, both front of house and at the servery's.
Our only slight disappointment was our room, which is desperate need of a make over. However, we could see that works are being carried out to update the hotel.
Many thanks for a lovely stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Being a young couple we didn't know what to expect. Upon arrival we were greeted by a moody receptionist, but the process was quick and simple. Our room was in an ideal location with a view of the sea and living coasts, beautiful! The refurbished rooms are done to a very high standard and the hotel should be proud of this, they are by NO means 2* standard! We could hardly stay in the room however, due to the heat. We wish we could have rented a fan, we can't complain about the weather though and its in an ideal location to explore Devon. The food was good value for money but lacked in choice and quality. Breakfast was excellent but evening meal was a lower standard. Although, the service provided by our waiter (Daniel) was outstanding and deserves recognition. The facilities are fantastic, especially the Aztec pool, it was great to cool down on a hot day then rest on the loungers outdoors, you could have thouht you were in Spain. Overall, a great week with few omissions. Would recommend to anyone due to value for money.

Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Having stopped in many hotels in Torquay, I have to say this has got to be the best one yet. A group of 6 stayed there and have to say the renovated rooms are lovely, it was worth paying the extra for the single occupancy. The facilities are excellent and although we did not travel with childen there seemed plenty of things to do. We did not sample the entertainment, nor the evening meals but found that the food offered in the Aztec bar was very good. It made my 40th a weekend to remember. Staff were very helpful. The only problem we did encounter was the warm weather meant leaving your windows open which meant that the traffic/binmen made sleep difficult, however not something you can blame the hotel for.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room preferably at the back to avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends