“Fabulous little hideaway”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2010

The food here is first class as is the service. The view from the upstairs restaurant is delightful, on a lovely evening you can finish off your meal with a coffee on the balcony. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

My partner and I had dinner there last Sat. we had booked early for 7.15 (opens at 7) and it filled up quickly. Great table with harbour views. We were served straight away with complimentary home baked bread and olives which we really enjoyed. The lobster chowder starter took a while to be served but it was worth the wait - absolutely delicious! For main course we 'pushed the boat out' and had their seafood/shellfish platter for two. With the full works of mussels, lobster,crab,scallops, langoustines, crevettes, sardines - it all tasted fantastic and was nicely presented. Served with a variety potato dish which was OK and a veg dish which we didn't eat. No room for deserts! Service was a bit slow as they were very busy but we didn't mind. We would definitely go back again. .

Reviewed July 28, 2010

My husband and I had a lovely meal here and we were thoroughly enjoying it until we got to the dessert course.....they run out of all but one of them on the menu!!!
I was very disappointed as there was cheesecake on the menu and that is my died-and-gone-to-heaven dessert, so it put a bit of a downer on the end of the evening!
I think this happened because we made a 9pm booking (the only time slot left) and so they ran out of things, but I don't think this should ever happen in a restaurant!
Having said that, the seafood was great and I probably would give them another go!

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We went to Man Friday's on Friday and had a fabulous time. The restaurant is nestled away down a little side alley so make sure you look out for it. We pre-booked a table for 9pm and the restaurant was still really busy. We were seated next to the windows with gorgeous views over the bay, and at night was all lit up. After being seated we were served complimentary warm fresh bread, olives and garlic butter. The bread was handmade, hence the doughy texture but was delicous in my opinion as I prefer proper bread to as opposed to 'sandwich bread'.
We ordered starters (not knowing how big the main meals were), I had a lobster tart which was just the right size for a starter and absolutely delicious and my husband had mussels mariniere which was a large portion.
I ordered a whole seabass in chilli, ginger and garlic for mains and my hubby ordered a Brixham Crab. The sea bass was huge, hanging off my large oval plate and the flavours were divine. Hubby enjoyed his crab, it was enormous and tasted so good. We were also served a large plate of potatoes, a plate of veg and also a small dish of cauliflower chesse. We didn't really touch any of the side dishes as we were too busy devouring our fish and crab but what we tasted of them were absolutely fine. Far too much food overall but well worth it. The meal wasn't cheap, but seafood and fish never is expecially of that quality, our meal + drinks came to about £65. The wine list is very pricey so we enjoyed a few drinks at the local bars before hand.
I thoroughly recommend Man Fridays and will definitly be visiting again next time i'm in Torquay.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

as locals who eat out every wednesday, we were keen to try out man fridays as we are both keen on fish...however the reviews we had read did not even come close to our experience...poor garlic bread (more like a stodgy loaf!!) with butter still in wrappers, i ordered a fillet of brill but was presented with a whole fish (microwaved), head with eyes and complete with tail..not a fillet in my view!!! we could not identify the 3 types of potato but the veg (no salad alternative) was clearly microwaved..whoever heard of carrots, leek, yellow broccoli and green peppers as a side dish..when we mentioned to the waiter that the veg was overcooked he merely stated that it had never happened before but judging by the other tables of untouched veg this was possibly not just our own opinion!!

the prices on the website were £2 less than that in the restaurant and we werent even offered the set menu!!

i expected more than cheapand tacky paper napkins as we paid more than £16.50 per course....outdated 70's decor with service to match..we have eaten in much much better places in torbay for almost half the price and double the standard of food and service..

AVOID!!!!