“Great seafood!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Food was great but a bit put off by the fact that the menu states the will not serve starters only. Nor will they serve you a main to share. If you are providing a service, you should cater for your customers requirements. My husband doesnt eat alot due to health issues & at times may only feel like a starter portion. The owner should rethink this poicy

There are newer reviews for Man Fridays Seafood Restaurant

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We did a late booking for 3 day break in Torquay and wanted to eat here again after having had a fantastic dinner Christmas Eve 2011 - unable to book via web site but left message on answerphone - promptly responded and all booked - hooray.

Once again complimentary home baked bread and dips - brilliant. Good choice for both starters and mains - my husband's main course of brill was a whole fish, I had the monkfish tail wrapped in parma ham which must have come from a very large fish - both cooked to perfection - only downside were the vegetables served with the mains - far too many!!!! so we decided to concentrate on our fish which, of course, was the main reason for our choosing this restaurant. Good selection of wines too and reasonably priced.

Staff attentive and pleasant without being overly so.

Will definitely eat here again when we next visit Torquay.

Please sort out your website for online bookings - finger crossing/nail biting time waiting for response to message left on answerphone but thankfully ok in the end.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My partner booked this hotel for my birthday dinner as it had very good reviews online.
Upon arriving at the restaurant we were almost put off by the exterior. It really didnt live up to our idea of a fancy seafood restaurant on the harbour. However, due to the good food reviews, we went in anyway. We were not disappointed. Inside, the restaurant is really cosy and well maintained. Our waitress was really friendly and the views were beautiful (they couldnt have their balcony open due to the weather, which was a shame, but not their fault obviously). More importantly, the food was amazing!! We had the seafood platter for our main, and it was absolutely beautiful. There was plenty of food for us both and all of it to a very high standard.
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Please dont be put off by the exterior as you'll really be missing out

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We now visit Torquay specifically to eat here, the fish is really fabulous. We stupidly had starters this time though, forgetting how much there is on the seafood platter to share. I would say skip the starters if you have this or at least try not to indulge in the lovely home baked bread. All the seafood was perfectly cooked, the view and service as great as ever. Well done man Fridays please don't change!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Came here on a Friday night and it wasn't overly busy but we were out of the high season. Husband and I had been looking forward to this menu all day after reserving a table and the menu is not disappointing!

The atmosphere is really lovely, the view is of the harbour so beautiful by day or night and the staff are abosultely lovely - attentive and caring.

We had for food: starters - prawns in garlic butter and mushrooms in stilton sauce; mains - steak and the crab which comes with veg on the side and a variety of potatoes; desert - creme brulee.

Firstly, the portions are astronomical so unless you can manage eating a horse (not the burger variety found in supermarkets) you may well struggle to finish a three course meal! I didn't finish any of the courses, the starter is boarding on a light meal. You even get given complimentary bread and olives at the start which I have to say, the bread is really gorgeous but too dangerous for filling on this and ruining the meal!

The prawns to start were slightly bland I have to say and a little hard (a little too much butter taste and not much garlic taste) but good quality all the same. The mushrooms dish was massive but the sauce was so moreish!

The mains were so big but impressive. The steak comes with tomato, onion rings, sauce (I may be forgetting something else here), the crab is a whole dressed crab with the claws - delicious! On the side to share (this was not an option) are three potato types plus a dish of veg. We didn't touch the veg and I only tried one type of potato.

For desert my husband just had a double espresso and I had a creme brulee which had a beaufitul top to it but the bottom to middle was too cold for a creme brulee however it was still enjoyable and very good quality.

With only water and one glass of wine the total came to just under £100 which we felt was a little expensive. Okay the crab was expensive and would expect it to be but we certainly felt that the portions should be a lot smaller with perhaps a slightly lower cost which could actually bring in more £££!

As much as some people may like to eat for two, we would both rather enjoy three courses without wasting any food. I could have managed the whole crab had the starter been smaller (I only ate half) and the bread and side dishes be an option. I love the intention of the owners giving customers more but this is too much.

However, we did enjoy it here, the atmosphere, view and staff alone make it a lovely place to visit. If you can eat a lot and love fish then this is the place for you, if you wat normal portions then don't have a starter!

My rating would actually be 'Good' - somewhere in between average and very good. Re-think your portion sizes and I'd come back!