“Great flat - very big and close to the centre of town”

Atlantis Holiday Apartments
Poole, UK
“Great flat - very big and close to the centre of town”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Well equipped, very clean and comfortable. Made use of the pool despite the weather. With a lack of decent restaurants in the centre - self catering was a great decision. Very friendly and helpful owners. Recommended

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

AtlantisTorquay, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the heated pool. Take a look at our new website for some really nice restaurants next time you come to Torquay.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bridlington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Myself, my partner and twenty month old son stayed at the Atlantis holiday apartments from March 29th - April 3rd.
We found the rooms very spacious, comfortable, clean and every facility you could need i.e utensils, washer/dryer, dishwasher, toaster etc. The beds were really comfortable and the bathroom was also very nice. The shower in our apartment was also nice and hot and also unlike a lot of apartments we have stayed in in the past, the shower pressure was very good so you could enjoy your shower.
The outdoor pool was also very nice. The cover over the pool in an excellent idea. During our stay the weather was rather cold but the pool was lovely and warm with the cover over hence we could take our little boy in the pool and he loved it.
The train station is five minutes walk from the apartments and their is also a bus stop right outside the apartments.
The owners were very friendly and nice and were on hand if needed as they live on the property.
To be honest this is the nicest place we have stayed, everything you could want in your apartment, child friendly, and close to all the local attractions.
Also this place has excellent disabled access and facilitates. They really try to cater for everyone.
Thank you very much from us all for a great stay and we will be back next time we holiday in Torquay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AtlantisTorquay, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
As usual the pool was hit! Pleased you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon.
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for a 3 day short break, and was just so impressed with our apartment. Warmly greeted on our arrival and shown to our apartment which was immaculate. Two bedrooms, one super king bed and a twin, and a pull out bed in the lounge area. Dishwasher, microwave, hob, fridge and all utensils all new and also spotlessly clean in a nice sized kitchen area with dining table. Large TV in living area with a comfy L shaped sofa and TV's in both bed rooms. Bathroom (wet room) with shower also spotlessly clean. Heating in all areas. It was so clean we felt like we were the first people to have ever stayed! Excellent, thank you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Really pleased you had a good stay and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I booked Atlantis at very short notice because I had to travel to Torquay for work. Pauline was extremely helpful, welcoming and friendly; she showed my partner and daughter round when they got there and explained how everything worked. The flat was very comfortable - the bed was especially nice - and had everything we needed for our stay. The free Wi-Fi was a real bonus as it allowed me to work while we were there. Our 2 year old daughter was ecstatic about the pool and had to be prised away reluctantly! There were some other nice touches, like the array of books and DVDs available to borrow during our stay. Would definitely come back for a holiday or for a business trip in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
AtlantisTorquay, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Glad you had a good time at Atlantis. Shame you had to work! Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Just returned from a week's stay at the Atlantis and already planning a return visit. Greeted on arrival by Pauline and shown around our apartment (3) which was immaculate with great facilities . We stayed with our two young sons (2 year old and one year old) and felt completely at home, Pauline kindly provided both a travel cot and a highchair for our stay. Made plenty of use of the heated pool, a big hit with our boys! Location was brilliant, Torquay in easy walking distance and plenty to see and do. Pauline recommended a lovely, very family friendly pub with great food, the Chelston Manor. Thank you for a fabulous stay, this was our first visit but we will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay at Atlantis and we look forward to seeing you all again next year.
England
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We booked Atlantis (Apartment 1) for Jubilee week to coincide with a family gathering. As soon as we pulled up Pauline greeted us and showed my husband around. We are used to going to self catering places (usually farms) and the familiarisation session was thorough. The apartment is down a ramp in the basement (note: low ceilings) and consists of 3 areas (large bedroom, lounge/kitchen, bathroom/wetroom area).

I'm a wheelchair user with very limited mobility, use an electric chair and assistance from my husband for manual transfers and personal care etc. This is relevant in that for personal hygiene reasons it would have been good to have a toilet and shower that didn't rely on a pump system. (Pump toilets barely take toilet paper never mind anything like toilet wet wipes). We felt this should have been in the brochure to aid disabled people in considering if they can manage with such a system or not. Pauline quickly sorted out a problem with it which we found on arrival.

The grab rails by the toilet are hand painted, grooved sort which felt 'sticky' to hold onto - rarely come across this set up in places.

The place was very clean and tidy and the kitchen looked well equipped although we ate out most of the time / made sandwiches.

The second thing that felt a bit strange was having no door between the bedroom and the living space - the 'door' was a good size though and getting around was easy.

I have difficulty with posture and pain when going to bed and took my pressure mattress to put on top of the bed which was a good combination and, aside from some light entering the room in the morning I slept well - lovely and quiet.

I never head the 'anti cat/young person' device going off at all that some people hear!!

I think the key thing that would put us off returning was that we had no control over the heating as this is controlled in the main house. Pauline said we could go up and ask for it to be turned on when we needed it - but that didn't feel right somehow and the output from the radiators didn't seem to warm the open plan environment. You expect to have some control over the heating of the place you stay?

Loved the free wifi, book and DVD selection and you could use the computer in the main building if you needed to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Atlantis.
We are sorry you had problems whilst staying. Unfortunately a Saniflo toilet is the only type that can be used in that particular apartment and we discourage guests from flushing wet wipes etc in all the toilets as they can cause blockages. We have now put these details on our website.

The grab rails are painted black to aid our visually impaired guests and we have made it open plan to aid wheelchair users.

I was surprised that you had a problem with the heating as it was on every day even though it was June. Morning 6am until 10am and late afternoon until 11pm. I always ask guests to let us know if they need it on during the day in the Summer months if they are in and we can alter the timers.

We would have welcomed the chance to rectify any problems you had during your stay had we been made aware of them at the time.

All the radiators have thermostaic controls on them and can be adjusted by the guests and if they were not getting hot enough it may simply have been a matter of 'bleeding' them.

We note that you enjoyed your holiday in Torquay and found some nice places to visit and eat.
Manchester, England
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed over the Jubilee weekend and had the small studio apartment. For two of us for a long weekend, this was great. We had a warm welcome from Pauline when we arrived who explained all the facilities - I was amazed what the appartment had, how clean it was and well maintained. Attention to detail was superb.

I have to admit, I am not really a fan of wet-rooms - remind me a bit of student halls of residence and I always forget and get my socks wet, but agian, not a huge problem over the weekend - there's of course a good stock of utensils and gadgets for drying the room out too, so I can't fault it for that.

The pool was excelent and really enjoyed it - had it to ourselves for the most part too.

There was no problem with parking either, plenty on site and even on the street. A bit of a walk to town, but quite enjoyable and helped us walk dinner off when we went out.

The anti-cat device, I have to say, I could hear it when I arrived - after a long drive down from Manchester I had totally forgot I had read the review calling it a teenager dispersal device. So kept hearing this noise as I unloaded the car, I honestly thought it was just a bird tweeting. Later on I realised it was still going and a regular sound and figured it out. Didn't bother me in the slightest, I'd certainly have asked Pauline if it had - my girlfriend on the other hand couldn't hear it in the slightest and we played a hearing test game with it! I wouldn't let it put you off.

Being in a self-contained flat, other than exchanging pleasant hello's to other reisidents and chatting to Pauline when we saw her, we kept pretty much to ourselves. I didn't really feel I was being watched or anything and dont really share the concerns of previous reviews.

Would love to come back at some point, already reccomended to other people!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for the lovely review. We try hard to maintain our standards and appreciate your comments. We hope you visit us again in the near future. Pauline