“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #62 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I must say that I have generally found TripAdvisor reviews to be accurate, but certainly not in the case of this hotel. I am a fussy traveller and find it hard to understand why this hotel has received so many bad reviews from KGB clients.
We stayed here with another couple for a KGB weekend deal last weekend and I have nothing but praise for the place. The rooms were clean (albeit a little dated), the staff were efficient and friendly and the food was wholesome and well presented. At £99 for 2 people for 2 days BB&3-course dinner what do people expect?
The hotel clearly caters more for bus tours and as such it needs to adopt a more rigourous timetable, for example dinner at 6:30pm and breakfast at 8:30am (little flexibility. However to have the meals served so efficiently and arriving hot can only be applauded, when they cater for over 120 guests.Thank you for a nice, comfortable stay, Please do not assume all KGB clients are all the same.
As for the couple who commented they would rather stay in a tent I would suggest they might be better suited to that!!!

11 Thank PeteCaerdydd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Before I start you need to know that we paid extra to upgrade to a room with a sea view.
The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the sea front. Yes we did have a sea view but it was a very distant view.
The room was very spacious and spotlessly clean. Included in the tea tray were little packets of biscuits (nice touch).The bathroom was very large, modern and spotlessly clean and toiletries are supplied.
Yes the evening meal and breakfast are at set times but the food was tasty and hot.
This hotel seems to be run on minimum staff but they are all polite and helpful.
Yes they have coach parties but these probably keep the hotel open and if you do not wish to sit in on the evening entertainment there is a lovely spacious conservatory with plenty of seating and lovely grounds on a nice evening.
Would recommend to anyone.

7 Thank 3ohappycouple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Food awful like school dinners guest rounded up like sheep at set meal times staff very unpleasant worse than fawlty towers not recommended to stay here if your under 70 years old the only good thing was the whether we had on March 14th weekend the gym was none existent and pool area was unsuitable to use

Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Angela E
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Reading the reviews the day before departure my wife and I set off with some trepidation!But on arrival and accessing our room we were pleasantly surprised. The room was of good size, very clean, and had views over the sea. All the staff were very helpful and service in the bar and restaurant was very efficient. The entertainment was very good and better than expected.
Menu choice was limited but adequate and served hot and fresh. For £45 a night it was good value for money - coach travel included!

Room Tip: We paid extra for a premier room and it was well worth it.
5 Thank David A
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just goes to show you shouldn't listen to all you read! We have just returned from a weekend break at the Abbey Lawn Hotel on a KGB deal. I have to say that I almost cancelled after reading so many awful reviews! Thank goodness we didn't! I think we received value for money, especially considering we used a KGB deal. Yes the floorboards creak - it's an old building. Yes they have got set times for meals - wasn't a problem. Food was okay and varied. If you want 4 star then you need to book into a 4 star hotel! Our room was huge overlooking the tennis courts with beautiful sash windows. Yes the rooms are tired looking but are spotlessly clean, warm and supplied with plenty of tea, coffee, biscuits and bottled water. There was entertainment on both nights and the staff were very helpful and attentive. My only negative point is that the hotel uses blankets instead of duvets. This is a personal dislike of mine, but the bedding was still spotless and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel. Even more so if you can book using a KGB deal. My husband and I would certainly book into this hotel again. So, if like me you've been reading all the reviews and are feeling apprehensive - DON'T just go to the Abbey Lawn and enjoy the break! We certainly did.

Room Tip: Rooms over the tennis courts have better views and If you use the indoor pool don't forget your...
5 Thank Julie D
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I cannot understand recent reviews (kgb deals) which appeared quite damning. We experienced a good and varied menu. Nothing was too much for our waiter(Jon) prompt serving and clearing away. Our room was clean and of good décor. From joining our coach, all our luggage was handled for us. A very enjoyable coach holiday, reasonably priced and travel insurance included. Thank you Robinsons and Abbey Lawn. The lift needs updating.
Allen our driver , excellent, Jovial and well versed in local knowledge

4 Thank Brymar
Bilston, West Midlands
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have had real difficulty in writing this review as everything that I wanted to say has already been said by other recent reviewers, most of whom must have spent the same week-end as my wife & I. Like other reviewers, I had booked with the Abbey Lawn on a KGB deal. £99 for two nights with breakfast & evening meal included - how could this not be a good deal ?
We were greeted with a nice surprise upon arrival. When booking (central booking), I was told that only Twin Rooms were available on the week-end I wanted. I begrudgingly accepted this although Shanice did say that she would try to find me a Double, possibly by way of a cancellation, before my arrival. Good to her word, we were allocated a very nice Double Room (115) with Four Poster Bed and distant sea view. Apart from the very squeaky floor, no complaints whatsoever. Hotel staff were very pleasant and the hotel was scrupulously clean.
What was most unusual was that no card details were taken on arrival for purchases during your stay. We soon found out that this was because everything was required to be a cash transaction. Again-unusual, but no great problem. As stated in other reviews, what let the Abbey Lawn down was its restuarant. Fixed meal times for all at 8.30am for Breakfast & 6.30 for Dinner, did make the atmosphere a little Retirement Home. Food Quality could best be described as 1960s School Dinners, filling but not very appetising in either presentation or content. The restuarant staff were however very attentive, managing to get guests through three courses in just over thirty minutes.
In conclusion, a very good deal, accomodation good, hotel position good, staff good, food not so good.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a superior room with seaview.
6 Thank Spitfireman2002