“Upgraded” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Upgraded”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

We booked the Trecarn in Torquay but were moved as the other hotel was shut.We were upgraded to a premier room overlooking the harbour.Very large room,clean and very comfortable.Shower and bath with soaps etc. Ironing board and a big tv.It was lovely and warm and the sun shone through the windows all day.We had never done a Bay hotel break before and were unsure when we saw we were a bit younger than the average guest!.The table we were allocated was fine,service very good and the food ample and well cooked.We got on well with some nearby diners and the gave us some tips on Bay Hotels all over the country!!The entertainment was funny.Bingo and then a bit of singing and music.Good drinks at the bar,but ours were free but pricey if not.The dance floor soon filled to some old songs from the 60's and 70's.Bit old fashioned but it was nice to see the old dears enjoying themselves.It was different and at the price we paid great value.We used the small but great swimming pool and had it to ourselves! ps.best bread and butter pudding with custard ever.

3 Thank Paul S
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Hi Paul S and thank you for reviewing your stay at the Torbay. I am glad that you enjoyed one of our Premier rooms and they really are great rooms. I am pleased that your stay was an enjoyable one and that the food and service you received was to your satisfaction. I will tell the chef that you liked her bread and butter pudding too. Hopefully we will see you again at the Torbay sometime soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Spalding, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Enjoyed a lovely 5 day break at the Torbay Hotel. Room re furbished although small. Food great ,entertainment not as good as the Majestic at Bournemouth. The resident entertainer Lee Shetlif pleasant person, but no idea what music to put on for dancing. Played nearly all pop and the age group that was there were 60+ and wanted party dancing, eg barn dance etc also some sequence dancing.
The bedrooms have been updated but the lounges and ballroom very old and worn and dirty. The toilets were the worst bare dirty paint and very scruffy. Trips out on the coach good, went to Plymouth and tour of torbay. Enjoyed the break wish it could be updated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank happytravellers066
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and the recently refurbished bedroom. We do try to refurbish areas regularly and we do spend a lot of money each year in the hotels as you can see, but not everywhere can be done at once - although I am glad it did not prevent you for having a good holiday. Entertainment can be a very subjective thing and usually Lee is very popular with our guests. I do hope that we will see you again at the Torbay.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed at Torbay Hotel 6 to 10 January with my wife and brother and sister in law. This was our 5th winter trip with Shearings in as many years. As usual, we are amazed at the good value of these holidays. The hotel is in a fabulous position within easy reach of the Marina and Town. The rooms were comfortable and warm. Had rooms on the 3rd floor so a little time consuming waiting for the tiny lift. Could really do with a service lift for the luggage handling. Once again, we cannot fault the food. Really good choices for evening meals and well cooked. Breakfasts were absolutely delicious and (at our request) double sized !! Set you up for the day! Our waiter Barlasz was so friendly and helpful it really does make so much difference. Would recommend this hotel to anyone for a great value trip.

Room Tip: Ask for room on lower floor to avoid having to wait for the lift.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Dave160
Hi Dave160 and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your holiday with us at the Torbay. Its always good to hear that our guests have stayed many times at one of our hotels and I am glad that you found everything to your liking here at the Torbay. I will pass on your comments to Balasz as he will be pleased to know that he looked after you during your stay. I hope that we see you again in the future.
new zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

we stayed recently at this hotel. A major problem was the lift which many people on our trip complained or commented about. It was very small, rattling and extremely slow to wait for. Pensioners in the end had to walk up and down up to 4 flights of stairs if staying on the top floor. We even saw an old lady with a cane walking down the stairs due to problems with lift access. For the amount of people staying in the hotel there should have being either 2 good lifts, or a bigger more efficient one.

Secondly, the waiter we had was unfriendly and stressed. This could be due to not enough staff when there were 4 coachloads of visitors in the dining room at once, but the staff should not take their stresses out on visitors. My mother stayed in the same hotel a couple of years before and the waiting staff at that time were excellent. This time the waiter did not even care less when my mother ate a 2 inch fish bone! I would however say the lady on reception was excellent after i reported it to her.

The room was a twin room and ok, if tired with a little worn carpet. We did have problems with the toilet. The flush basically did not flush a lot away! This was disgusting.

The food however was ok if bought from a supermarket - but not in a restaurant. Give the chef about 5 out of 10.

in the past my mother has stayed also in a single a couple of times - avoid these at all costs. Shabby and disgusting!

Overall, Ok for a cheap break as long as not paying too much to stay there.

Room Tip: Avoid single rooms as my mother stayed in one of these twice previously. One shabby, and the other...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank travelfanatic80
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us and I am sorry if your stay did not meet your expectations. I believe, as do many of our guests, that we do offer very good value for money breaks, especially during January which seems to appeal to a majority of our customers. I am surprised at your comments regarding the food and service as we receive many positive reviews on Trip advisor on these particular departments.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Jan. 14th 2014 my wife and I just returned from a 3 night week end break with Shearings to their hotel Bay Torbay in Torquay after abad start ( on arrival given room 411 no heating in the room radiator not working January cold after 10hrs of travel to be given an unseated room I was not very happy spoke to MATT MANAGER TWICE re condition of room 411 MATT changed room to 217 no problem with room. GOOD BREAK. GOOD FOOD GOOD SERVICE GOOD ENTERTAIMENT Hotel clean and fresh will see MATT and his staff again Bryan G

Room Tip: Room 411 no heating
2 Thank Bryan G
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you Bryan g for your review of your weekend break at the Torbay. I am glad that after some issues when you first arrived, that Matt was able to resolve them satisfactorily for you and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. I shall pass on your thanks to Matt and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Worksop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

we stayed at torbay 6-10 jan lovely place gt value all the staff were very helpful especially our waitresses hannah and andrea, the food was really nice and good value for what we paid it was very good well done

1 Thank davidmander
Thank you for posting a review of your recent holiday at the Torbay. I am glad that our waitresses Hannah and Andrea looked after you as they are lovely girls and very good workers. I will pass on your comments to them. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the food too. hopefully we will see you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough of the catering staff. I am on a gluten free diet, didn't tell them until my first evening meal, straightaway they told me what I could eat, and even cooked special food for me. Would definitely return, thank you Kaspar and the rest of the staff.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hi Chrissie d, thank you very much for your praise off the staff while staying at the Torbay. I am glad that they were very quick in sorting your dining requirements out to your satisfaction. We do cater for many different dietary needs, so I am pleased that you enjoyed the service we provided. I will also pass on your thanks to Kasper and hopefully we will see you again soon.