“Room 301”

Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Reading, United Kingdom
“Room 301”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

Room 301 must be worst Hotel Room ever. Where are the health and safetly officers in Torquay.
Black Mould on wall and ceiling, which is a health hazard. The toilet is not fixed to the floor one side, it's a good thing that it's so close to the bath as it stops anyone falling on the floor, unfortunately you have to very nearly climb over the toilet to get into the shower which is not easy for people in their 70's. When booking the 5 day trip we were promised by the Travel Agent that we would have a proper ensuite but the basin was in the Bedroom (even when travelling with one's Sister you do need some privacy) The promised booking did not materialize, rudeness from reception did.
Food ?? Words cannot explain what I thought of the food, the Waiter was the only upside he was delightful. I think I was stitched up on the price too, £219. 00 for 5 days. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 301
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank joyce m
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
I am sorry if you were disapponted with your recent stay. We do try to please all our guests and I will look into your room complaint , which is not a usual complaint. I would think that a 5 day coach break for the price you paid is very reasonable for all that is included?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

Just returned from my first Shearings break. I found it excellent value for money; the hotel (the Torbay hotel in Torquay) was very nice and in a great location right on the seafront but also close to lots of shops. The newly decorated areas and bedrooms are very tastefully done. The staff were all very friendly and the food was nice with good sized portions. Our waitress, Hanna, was very nice and worked very hard to get us served in time when we had to be on the coach early after breakfast on a couple of mornings. Just one negative, it would be nice if breakfast times were a bit more flexible/longer. I had a room at the rear of the hotel which was one of the quietest hotel rooms I've ever slept in. The entertainment in the hotel was excellent. I will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are much quieter than those at the front as there's a very busy m...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carol M
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your first Shearings break with us at the Torbay. It is always nice for the staff to hear that people like yourself have enjoyed so many aspects of the holiday. I will pass on your comments to Hannah too. I am glad you had such good nights sleep too.
Ringwood, Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Our front-facing room had a view because its out-of-season and trees had lost their leaves.
First time visitors should be given clear written directions with their confirmation letter regarding check-in and luggage. Parking was a 10 minute walk away.
We weren't part of a Shearings Coach Tour as we wanted flexibility to stop along the coast on our way to and from Torquay. Once we had parked the car, we used our bus passes to explore nearby tourist attractions in Paignton, Brixham and Dartmouth. Bus stop was across the road. Hotel location ideal for those who want to enjoy walking along the beachfront, visiting the shops or for those planning bus excursions.
Staff at reception and in the dining room were particularly efficient and helpful.
Considering the room was a basic standard room, I wouldn't have expected anything more except I noticed that tissues, toiletries and biscuits were no longer available as in the past.
The bathroom was really "tacky" needing some major renovation. Window was rusty and full of damp; wall had one large crack and covered wires to bathroom heater exposed and untidy in a corner on the floor. However, room was clean and I can see that it would be costly to upgrade the bathroom, particularly because most standard bathrooms were probably in a similar poor state of repair being at the coast.
Entertainment by resident musician was mediocre and disappointing. The visiting duo on the Friday night and solo artist on Saturday were of a high standard. Fortunately there were a few wine bars that offered musical entertainment within walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: Be specific when requesting a room - we were impressed with the phone call to clarify what we had re...
2 Thank Glynnis S
Thank you for posting your review, and I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We do sit in an excellent location which can be invaluable, if like yourself people want to park the car and forget about it for a few days. We do try to refurbish as quickly as possible and I am peased that you were happy with the cleanliness all round and the efficiency of the reception and restaurant staff.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

My husband and I had a really nice stay at the Bay Torbay Hotel. I booked it before I looked it up on Tripadviser and was concerned with some of the reviews. I then looked at the Bay Torbay Hotels own website which was quite impresive. I had no need to fear as everything was lovelly and couldnt fault it. It is in a good position being right on the sea front. It has an indoor heated pool, < although I didnt use it.> Good service, good food, clean room, Nice friendly atmosphere, One of the reviews mentioned the lift, but we were on a Shearings Coach holiday staying on the 3rd floor and the lift was no problem to us at all. I would certainly recomend the Bay Torbay Hotel to my friends.

2 Thank Patricia C
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Hi Patricia, I am glad you and your husband enjoyed your recent break with us., I know reading through all the varied reviews can be mind boggling, but I am glad that you trusted your own judgement and took note of the many positive postings that we get, and that you came to visit us. Your recommendation is welcome, and maybe you will come back and see us again soon.
Karuah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

We stayed at the hotel in June wirh a shearings holiday for seven nights ,we had a seaview room which you could not see the sea due to the trees outside .The room itself was poor quality the curtain linings were all torn and hung in rags the paint was peelig was all coming off the window frames and sill .there were holes in the walls around the window frame we know they said they were refurbishing but how bad do you let the rooms get before taking action.We were disapointed with the lift for an hotel of this size it should have something more adequate like others have said it could be a long wait at meal times to use the lift it was a long walk down the stairs for the elderly and sometimes up after a tour arrived after its day out .The meals and the restaurant staff were exellent first class service no complaints there .But please get the rooms sorted out or you will end up losing a lot of customers .The tour driver we had was really good he did a great job for shearings took our minds off the room .Not a good recommendation to take back to Australia with us sorry.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank karuahman
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
I am sorry to see that the hotel was not as you expected. It is a large building and we do get around to refurbishing as quickly as possible. Thank you for your kind comments on the food and service, it is nice to hear you enjoyed both.
Bury, Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Shearings 4 day break.
Excellent value, and service at both breakfast and dinner very efficient. would like to compliment our table waiter Robert.The food was also of good quality with a varied menu. Bar service also good.
Had front facing room, but unfortunately this was in need of re-furbishment , with the carpet looking rather tired. Otherwise the room was large, clean and serviced well.
The swimming pool really needs an upgrade, generally ok to swim but not a place to relax, due to lack of 'furnishings',the lighting also quite gloomy.
Having said all this, feel the holiday was of excellent value, would certainly visit again and would recommend to others

Room Tip: front facing
1 Thank MandEBury_Lancashire
Thanbks for posting your review, Again, the food and service are being positively higlighted and I shall tell Robert how pleased you were with his service. The bar staff will be happy that you took advantage of the bar also. I wish more people would use the pool and we have taken note of the lighting and I can assure you on your next visit, the lighting will be better.
Totnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

My mum and niece have just enjoyed a fantastic value trip with Shearings to the Torbay Hotel. The sea front location of this hotel was brilliant for shops and local attractions. The local bus stop was right outside which meant it was an easy commute from Totnes and Paignton. My niece was also able to enjoy an evening jog along the well lit seafront. So this holiday is not just for oldies! The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean with a great view. The food was excellent and mum especially enjoyed the vegetarian options. It was served quickly and with a smile. She is definately planning a return trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SueJane-Mac
I am so happy that your mum and niece had a fantastic stay, The location is very good for all of Torquay and I am also pleased that they enjoyed so many aspects of their holiday. I remember your niece jogging - I wonder if she did manage to run to Paignton and back? see them both soon I hope.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Tor Park Hotel
BEST WESTERN Livermead Cliff Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
#9 of 18 in Paignton

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!