“good holiday”
Review of Hotel Kistor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Hotel Kistor
Ranked #76 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“good holiday”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

nice place to stay lovely food in need of refurbishment only prob i had was stayed in room 46 view was lovely but was above the swimming pool so room was very warm from the heated swimming pool below also not sure but woke up every morning with a bad headache think it was because the room had a strong smell of chlorine from swimming pool food was great and plenty of it and staff will friendly and helpful

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
I am pleased that you had a good holiday, but sorry you suffered from those headaches. Unfortunately the pool underwent a maintenance program whilst you were with us and the water treatment may have filtered up to your room, though no one else mentioned it. If that was the reason I apologise.
Your room is south facing and enjoys alot of sun which is the probable reason for the warmth. It wouldn't be because of the poolo as it's not been heated for some time now.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Husband and I stayed here between 3rd and 6th may 2013. Loved it. Hotel is in need of refurbishment (nothing Eileen wouldn't tell you herself) but even so it was clean, warm and welcoming. The staff were great and nothing was too much trouble. The food was superb and there was no skimping on the portions they gave you. The hotel is in a prime position and we had a lovely sea view room. There is a lift to all floors but we were only on the first floor so used the stairs. 24 hour bar and nightly entertainment in the kistor and surrounding hotels so no need to travel into town if you didn't want to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jackie J
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
You are quite right our meals are plentiful and wholesome, the staff go out of their way to be friendly and our location is superb. What a great review, thank you.
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

enjoyed stay in the Kistor,the staff very friendly,they looked after us,the food was very good.
The rooms cleaned everyday,towels changed,like a lot of the hotels they need up grading,a lick of paint.what can u expect for what u pay if u want 5 star u pay for it.
Te entertainment was great.believe up for sale,lets hope who buys keeps same prices.
We where a bunch of six ladies. who enjoyed ourselves
U get what u pay for.

Room Tip: Iwas on ist floor had no problems,
3 Thank spikey4366
Thank you ladies for your review. I am delighted that you had a good time and found the time to tell all our friends on Trip Advisor.
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

took 5 day holiday to the above hotel,, travel by Solus was fantastic, very pleasant driver, good journey.
Hotel was good, friendly staff and meals were very good, Nightly entertainment was also good.
The only downside being the lift which only holds two persons, and as most clients needed it to get up to 1 and 2 floors, meant a wait at times. The position of hotel is very good for getting buses.

2 Thank pegnhal
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am pleased that you had a good time. You are quite right the lift is small, but it's better than no lift at all, Lol.
See you again soon, best wishes.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We recently stayed in the Kistor Hotel on a trip with friends. There was no TV reception the whole weekend! The rooms were comfortable but the hotel is in need of refurbishment as far as the walls needing decorating or painting. The hotel was nice and warm but the food & drink was quite expensive. The portions at breakfast were small to the norm but the evening meal was plentiful. The staff were quite quiet but nice enough - not a lot of conversation and involvement with the people. We had a good time overall.

Room Tip: Asak for a room overlooking the sea and a big room
2 Thank JanCody
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
May I apologise for taking such a long time to respond to this review, we've been so busy.
Thank you for your observations. I would like to apoilogise for the lack of T.V reception during that particular weekend. There is an intermittent fault with the system and each time an engineer has come, he fails to find the problem. It is possible that we will have replace the whole system and all the TV's too.
As to your remarks regarding our food & drink prices, we are cheaper than many local pubs and hotels for our bar drinks and I really don't think £12.50 excessive for a 3 course meal.
The staff vary, some are very chatty others more reserved. It all depends on whose on shift. It iis lucky may be that I was not on duty as I'm far from quiet. But all in all you say you had a good time, for which I am pleased .
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Arrived on 11th March ( Torquay Travel), We were given Room 70 - no ITV available (apparently this is a common problem), furniture chipped, no continental quilts, only one blanket on the bed but the young lad who brought up the luggage did bring us a couple more, and hairs in the bath, radiator not working but Manager Peter did provide a portable electric heater.

The following morning I noticed that the base of the bed had a very large dirty brown mark near the head board end. I could only assume this was sick or sh**!. I reported this to the Manager and also mentioned that the metal window frames were covered in black mould. He offered us another room.

The second room was of a higher standard but no sound on BBC 2 and still no ITV.
The swimming pool which I was hoping to use was out of action as I suppose were the sauna and spa.
On the last night I asked for a bottle of white wine and the waiter calmly told me there wasn't any apparently the quota had been used up!
On the plus side the hotel was convenient for the beach and the town and the food was perfectly acceptable and efficiently served. The entertainment was of a good standard for this type of holiday.

I am not sure if this hotel has/ or is in the process of being taken over but the heating and TV reception need urgently addressing - I believe some rooms may have had flat screen TV's but ours didn't. Also someone needs to oversee the cleaners as there is definitely room for improvement!
I have been on several coach holiday although these have been with several different companies, Grand Uk, Sheerings, The Coach Co. but have never been so disappointed. I do not expect 5 star for 2 star price but I do expect a clean warn room with basic TV channels and a swimming pool that is available for use if advertised.
Yes you are right I won't be visiting again unless I read that a major refurbishment has taken place!

Room Tip: 21 or 22 nice rooms but no lift and 36 steps up and down, also quite noisy (early morning traffic).
2 Thank HonestHattie
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I too was disappointed with your review. Yes we had some problems that week, I am sorry that you were affected by an escalation of mishaps. It is unusual as you can see by reading other reviews that generally speaking our guests enjoy their stay with us. We are as you rightly state are in the process of being sold but that doesn't normally affect the smooth running of the hotel. We hope to be in the hands of a new owner soon, which will mean that the refurbishment program will resume.
So, keep checking Trip advisor. As soon as we have a new owner I will post it here.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just had the last week in February there with a coach tour and enjoyed our stay but the hotel wants a complete re vamp.We had a very tiny bathroom and trying to shave was a work of art,i had more space in a H G V cab.The curtains in the bar had a thick coating of dust on them and needed a realy good clean all around.I believe it's waiting for a buyer and this should resolve the problem. Having said all that the main thing being the bed was clean and the room,all the restaraunt staff were very hard working and friendly,the reception staff were also helpfull,and the manager was also friendly and a bit of a comedien aspecially when doing the bingo.The bar had a decent selection of drinks although i stuck to Tetleys and the barman was friendly and made sure that you got served quick.The hotel is well situated for the beach and is not far from the Town We would like to go back again when and if it's been re vamped

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KeithVi
bingoace, General Manager at Hotel Kistor, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your review.I note your comments regarding the curtains in the bar. The night time staff who are responsible for their cleaning held their hands ups and agreed they had been overlooked for a period and would rectify it.
As regards the bathrooms, yes they quite small but I don't think they are any different from most other 2 star rated hotels. However, we intend at some time in the near future to install walk in shower cubicles to replace baths in some rooms, thus making more room.
There are a number of issues that need addressing throughout the hotel or to use your words 'in need of a re vamp' , we are looking forward to this happening in the not too distant future.