“Visit this place all the time.”

The Unicorn Harvester
Ranked #514 of 754 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At The Gidea Park Harvester in Plymouth food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.About our Harvester restaurantIf you're looking for a family friendly restaurant in Plymouth, there's nowhere more popular than Harvester. Close to Plympton, Marsh Mills and Eggbuckland, our restaurant is a great choice for anyone who loves tasty grills, indulgent desserts and eating out in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Plus we've loads of choices for young guests.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Food is 99% of the time really good. Staff are largely friendly, although the manager doesn't seem well suited to the job - nothing personally, just not very good at customer interaction, but maybe a manager doesn't have to be if all the waiting staff are nice, and (given the exception of the bar staff) they are. In the winter this building suffers a little from the cold, particularly towards the back.
On balance, the food is so nice and the prices are reasonable, so its 4* from me.

Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Unicorn Harvester, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Restaurant.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We visted the harvester on a Thursday teatime, not very busy at that time. We didnot want to spoil our appetite and so didnot go to the salad bar. When the meals arrived we realised why there is a salad bar included in the price...not only were the meals of small portion but not cooked to a high enough standard you would expect at a restaurant. I ordered the gammon with an egg, it was very oily and had to use a couple of serviettes to mop up the oil. All four meals had a limited ammount of chips, we are not big on chips but this portion was of no more than 12 and they were half cooked, some still being hard in the middle. I was impressed that the salad bar and bread rolls were included in the price and this reason alone is to why I didnot complain. Although it has to be noted the bread rolls I would think were frozen, fresh bread rolls would not have been that bland in taste and hard. I would not recommend this restaurant and for the price we could have had a meal with more flavour and less grease at another chain reataurant within Plymouth.

Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Unicorn Harvester, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for giving us your feedback following your recent disappointing meal at our Restaurant.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The so called chef has two ways of cooking burnt or under done the food is in a word crap the tables you clear up yourself the nives and forks etc looked as if they were washed in a bucket and have never been so ill after eating here the place should be closed and the chef and staff should work serving this type of crap to inmates they would have good reason to riot

1  Thank spnuk1
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Unicorn Harvester, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor. We were very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your recent visit to a Harvester Restaurant and we will reply to you personally about this.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I went for a meal with my two friends on the evening of 15th April, as we had discussed getting a meal out that wasn't too expensive. We have always enjoyed The Unicorn, particularly the desserts which are huge (but its usually pretty hard to wrong with a dessert!) even though the last time we went together the main meals had been a little disappointing... but we were willing to overlook this.

It was really busy when we arrived, and we had to stand and wait to even request a table for about ten minutes despite several staff at the bar seeing us waiting. We got a table close to the salad bar, and our waiter was really friendly and couldn't do more to make it a great experience.

It's just a shame that my chicken was very rubbery in texture- it was not warmed all the way through and I ended up leaving one of my piri piri squewers entirely because I always worry about food poisoning with chicken products. Luckily I filled up on the salad which quite frankly is selling point of the place and why we chose to come here time and time again despite disappointing mains frequently.

I do feel as if the food quality has gone down even though the prices have gone up. I felt that I had to pay far too much for what was essentially a few bowls of salad and half a chicken kebab and new potatoes. The waiter was very prompt and I didn't have the heart to complain about my chicken and its odd texture. My friend didn't enjoy her scampi main either. Our other friend seemed to enjoy the Hunters Chicken but didn't like the bacon.

Thank god the dessert made up for a poor main. We shared a Banoffee ice cream and it was yummy!

Its sad that the mains are so disappointing because the venue is lovely and the staff work really hard.

15  Thank AmberEmTee
Harvester_Restaurant, Public Relations Manager at The Unicorn Harvester, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor. We were very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your recent meal at a Harvester Restaurant and we will reply to you personally about this.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

the chicken was really rubbery and the chips were cold, ( on two separate occasions)
the salad bar was either empty of choices, or the same utensiles were used to dish up you own salad, so most tubs had a bit of every thing in them...? not good. will never go there again..

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback.